Re: [XP] balancing the pair in pair programming

  • George Dinwiddie
    Message 1 of 45 , Dec 2, 2009
      zdnfa wrote:
      > Dear all,
      >
      > One of the issue I have come thru is how to make up pairs. I mean how
      > do we for the pairs at the very beginning of the project. In one of
      > the articles I have come thru says that pairs could be formed in one
      > of three compositions: expert-expert, expert-naive, and naive-naive.
      >
      > In fact -as I think- one cannot make sure that is easy to find the
      > first combination in all cases and contexts. Yet, do we face a case
      > where the two expert may face some competetion? will this competetion
      > be counterproductive?
      >
      > in the other case will a naive partner be a problem to his/her expert
      > parnter?

      In my experience, if two people are willing to work together
      collaboratively, then they can do so productively no matter what the
      skill levels of the two. Of course, the expert-expert pairing is likely
      to be more productive than the naive-naive pair, but even that's not
      always true. Often the expert-naive pairing is the richest, as the two
      people pairing may have a wider range of viewpoints and assumptions.

      In any case, I would not advise "making the pairs" but let them make
      themselves. And I would advise having them switch pairing partners
      frequently. These two behaviors will tend to make the whole process
      more fruitful and robust.

      - George

    • thycotic
      Message 45 of 45 , Dec 19, 2009
        > In my experience I found that the expert-junior is the best
        > combination. It does increase the skill level of both, but what we
        > had to do is that let the junior be involved more in customer
        > collaboration, where the expert is more involved in writing the
        > code, the junior one was sitting beside and the irony is that the
        > junior helped in quality assurance, as he has better collaboration
        > with the customer.

        Some ideas here:
        http://agileshout.com/questions/15/what-is-the-best-match-for-pair-programming-beginner-expert-beginner-beginner