balancing the pair in pair programming

  • zdnfa
    Message 1 of 45 , Dec 2, 2009
      Dear all,

      One of the issue I have come thru is how to make up pairs. I mean how do we for the pairs at the very beginning of the project. In one of the articles I have come thru says that pairs could be formed in one of three compositions: expert-expert, expert-naive, and naive-naive.

      In fact -as I think- one cannot make sure that is easy to find the first combination in all cases and contexts. Yet, do we face a case where the two expert may face some competetion? will this competetion be counterproductive?

      in the other case will a naive partner be a problem to his/her expert parnter?

      I would like to hear from you

      Regards

      Zaidoun
    • thycotic
      Message 45 of 45 , Dec 19, 2009
        > In my experience I found that the expert-junior is the best
        > combination. It does increase the skill level of both, but what we
        > had to do is that let the junior be involved more in customer
        > collaboration, where the expert is more involved in writing the
        > code, the junior one was sitting beside and the irony is that the
        > junior helped in quality assurance, as he has better collaboration
        > with the customer.

        Some ideas here:
        http://agileshout.com/questions/15/what-is-the-best-match-for-pair-programming-beginner-expert-beginner-beginner