Taskboardy available

  • Federico
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 11, 2009
      Hi,
      I have finished the first version of Taskboardy, a wave gadget that allows to maintain a taskboard inside a wave. The tool may be useful for those looking for a free taskboard tool.

      http://agilebooknote.blogspot.com/2009/11/taskboardy-available.html

      Please let me know what you think.

      Cheers,
      -fede

      Information: I am not a vendor tool (those in the scrum list will know why I clarify this :-))
    • Sarath Kummamuru
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 12, 2009
        Hi Fede,
        Thanks for the great effort :) wave surely is a wonderful tool for
        agilists to help communication and your task board idea is wonderful. Been
        thinking of doing some thing like that for some time but you beat me to it
        ;-)

        Like i said in the post on your blog the play back is a cool thing to
        have which a physical task board does not allow me and neither do most of
        the existing tools.

        thanks,
        Sarath.

        --
        Thanks,
        Sarath.

        Quad One Technologies | Mobile: +91 98490 05620 | Off: +91 40 2335 0221 |
        www.quadone.com

      • Ilja Preuß
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 12, 2009
          Hi Sarath,

          what would you use the playback for?

          Curious, Ilja

          2009/11/12 Sarath Kummamuru <kcsarath@...>:
          > Hi Fede,
          >    Thanks for the great effort :) wave surely is a wonderful tool for
          > agilists to help communication and your task board idea is wonderful. Been
          > thinking of doing some thing like that for some time but you beat me to it
          > ;-)
          >
          >     Like i said in the post on your blog the play back is a cool thing to
          > have which a physical task board does not allow me and neither do most of
          > the existing tools.
          >

          > thanks,
          > Sarath.
          >
          > On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 11:39 AM, Federico <fzuppa@...> wrote:
          >

          >> Hi,
          >> I have finished the first version of Taskboardy, a wave gadget that allows
          >> to maintain a taskboard inside a wave. The tool may be useful for those
          >> looking for a free taskboard tool.
          >>
          >> http://agilebooknote.blogspot.com/2009/11/taskboardy-available.html
          >>
          >> Please let me know what you think.
          >>
          >> Cheers,
          >> -fede
          >>
          >> Information: I am not a vendor tool (those in the scrum list will know why
          >> I clarify this :-))
          >>

          > --
          > Thanks,
          > Sarath.
          >
          > Quad One Technologies | Mobile: +91 98490 05620 | Off: +91 40 2335 0221 |
          > www.quadone.com

        • Sarath Kummamuru
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 12, 2009
            Hi Ilja,
            We had used the playback kind of feature to drive the retrospectives
            some times. For example when the teams use the timeline mechanism to do a
            retrospective, it helped the team members some times to look at the playback
            (or a particular previous day task board) and then some of the experiences
            that were lost come out.

            Apart from that, as a coach, it helps to be able to show the task board
            at some stage during the sprint and indicate some anti patterns like *too
            much WIP, too many impediments during the sprint, too many changes in either
            the tasks during the sprint or the sprint goal itself.

            *While in a retrospective a lot of these are mostly fresh in the minds
            of the team members, it has helped that we could take a snap shot of this
            state of the task board on a given day and store it and associate it with a
            retrospective comment for future reference across the org.

            A typical case in the too much WIP where a team had picked up too many
            user stories to be done parallely and ended up with most of them being about
            90% done but very little 100% done. We take a snap shot of the task board,
            keep it for posterity and share it in the knowledge base for other teams to
            learn from this.
            While the same I guess could be stated in a document or a wiki, I have
            found the Visual pattern offered by this snap shot of the task board is
            very effective.

            thanks,
            Sarath.

            Message 5 of 11 , Nov 13, 2009
              Thanks for the explanation!

              2009/11/13 Sarath Kummamuru <kcsarath@...>:
              > Hi Ilja,
              >     We had used the playback kind of feature to drive the retrospectives
              > some times. For example when the teams use the timeline mechanism to do a
              > retrospective, it helped the team members some times to look at the playback
              > (or a particular previous day task board) and then some of the experiences
              > that were lost come out.
              >
              >     Apart from that, as a coach, it helps to be able to show the task board
              > at some stage during the sprint and indicate some anti patterns like *too
              > much WIP, too many impediments during the sprint, too many changes in either
              > the tasks during the sprint or the sprint goal itself.
              >
              >      *While in a retrospective a lot of these are mostly fresh in the minds
              > of the team members, it has helped that we could take a snap shot of this
              > state of the task board on a given day and store it and associate it with a
              > retrospective comment for future reference across the org.
              >
              >      A typical case in the too much WIP where a team had picked up too many
              > user stories to be done parallely and ended up with most of them being about
              > 90% done but very little 100% done. We take a snap shot of the task board,
              > keep it for posterity and share it in the knowledge base for other teams to
              > learn from this.
              >      While the same I guess could be stated in a document or a wiki, I have
              > found  the Visual pattern offered by this snap shot of the task board is
              > very effective.
              >

              > thanks,
              > Sarath.
              >
              > On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 7:52 PM, Ilja Preuß <iljapreuss@...>wrote:
              >

              >> Hi Sarath,
              >>
              >> what would you use the playback for?
              >>
              >> Curious, Ilja
              >>
              >> 2009/11/12 Sarath Kummamuru <kcsarath@... <kcsarath%40gmail.com>>:
              >>
              >> > Hi Fede,
              >> >    Thanks for the great effort :) wave surely is a wonderful tool for
              >> > agilists to help communication and your task board idea is wonderful.
              >> Been
              >> > thinking of doing some thing like that for some time but you beat me to
              >> it
              >> > ;-)
              >> >
              >> >     Like i said in the post on your blog the play back is a cool thing to
              >> > have which a physical task board does not allow me and neither do most of
              >> > the existing tools.
              >> >

              >> > thanks,
              >> > Sarath.

              >> allows

              >> why
              >> >>

              >> > --
              >>
              >> > Thanks,
              >> > Sarath.
              >> >
              >> > Quad One Technologies | Mobile: +91 98490 05620 | Off: +91 40 2335 0221 |
              >> > www.quadone.com

              > Thanks,
              > Sarath.
              >
              > Quad One Technologies | Mobile: +91 98490 05620 | Off: +91 40 2335 0221 |
              > www.quadone.com

            • George Paci
              Message 6 of 11 , Dec 14, 2009
                Sarath Kummamuru wrote:
                > *While in a retrospective a lot of these are mostly fresh in the minds
                > of the team members, it has helped that we could take a snap shot of this
                > state of the task board on a given day and store it and associate it with a
                > retrospective comment for future reference across the org.
                Would it make sense for teams using a physical task board to take a
                (literal) snapshot of it with a digital camera every day?

                How much of the benefit do you think they would get?

                --George <gpaci@...>

                The day that pragmatism stops working for me,
                I'll try something else. -- Michael Feathers
              • Curtis Cooley
                Message 7 of 11 , Dec 14, 2009
                  I think your signature answers your question. Pragmatically, you'd wait for
                  a problem or need that you think taking a snapshot would solve rather than
                  looking for value in a process or tool before the need arises.

                  Hope that doesn't sound too cheeky.

                  On Mon, Dec 14, 2009 at 9:35 AM, George Paci <gpaci@...> wrote:

                  > Sarath Kummamuru wrote:
                  > > *While in a retrospective a lot of these are mostly fresh in the minds
                  > > of the team members, it has helped that we could take a snap shot of this
                  > > state of the task board on a given day and store it and associate it with
                  > > retrospective comment for future reference across the org.
                  > Would it make sense for teams using a physical task board to take a
                  > (literal) snapshot of it with a digital camera every day?
                  >
                  > How much of the benefit do you think they would get?
                  >
                  > --George <gpaci@... <gpaci%40tiac.net>>
                  >
                  > The day that pragmatism stops working for me,
                  > I'll try something else. -- Michael Feathers

                  --
                  Curtis Cooley
                  curtis.cooley@...
                  home:http://curtiscooley.com
                • JeffGrigg
                  Message 8 of 11 , Dec 14, 2009
                    What I have found quite helpful is to draw a graph, day by day, of "story points completed in this iteration." And then we ask why 90% of the work seems to get done in the last two days. ;->

                    Message 9 of 11 , Dec 14, 2009
                      Hi George,

                      When i mentioned "we could take a snap shot of this state of the task
                      board" I was meaning the physical task board.

                      So just to recap the experience, what we found was that, most cases the
                      team would have enough retention during the sprint to discuss their
                      experiences during the sprint retrospective. They would not need a tool to
                      identify retrospective comments.

                      But these comments are shared across the organization with other teams.
                      In these cases the physical snap shots (photos) of the task board helped
                      this team put a context to the comment that other teams could have when they
                      are looking at the retrospective comments.

                      Thanks,
                      Sarath.

                      Message 10 of 11 , Dec 15, 2009
                        Hello Sarath,

                        Tuesday, December 15, 2009, 12:35:08 AM, you wrote:

                        > So just to recap the experience, what we found was that, most cases the
                        > team would have enough retention during the sprint to discuss their
                        > experiences during the sprint retrospective. They would not need a tool to
                        > identify retrospective comments.

                        > But these comments are shared across the organization with other teams.
                        > In these cases the physical snap shots (photos) of the task board helped
                        > this team put a context to the comment that other teams could have when they
                        > are looking at the retrospective comments.

                        Have you found sharing retrospective comments with other teams to be
                        useful? How do you decide what to share? Do you believe that a
                        retrospective flows differently, or has different results, because the
                        team members know their comments will be shared?

                        --

                        doug swartz
                      • Tim Ottinger
                        Message 11 of 11 , Dec 29, 2009
                          So is it "stoy per person"? Usually when I see 90% done in last days, it's because each person is assigned one sprint's worth of work rather than swarming.

                          Tim Ottinger
                          http://agileinaflash.blogspot.com/
                          http://agileotter.blogspot.com/