Re: [XP] XP is a philosophy not a religion

  • Tim Ottinger
    Message 1 of 24 , Nov 10, 2009
      I applaud all attempts to take good software development in any and all new directions, provided that the experimenter is not merely trying to adapt the name "agile" to their old process. It is far better to "be" than to "seem."

      Try whatever you like, don't let barking dogs distract you, and do be conscientious in your application. Measure, report, etc.

      I have found remote pairing to be very successful, despite the personal belief that it would not work, and could not be made to work. It is not perfect, and is second-best in many ways to being physically present, but has advantages and trade-offs.

      In the same way, try new things (and old things) in your agile adventure. Remember that the goal is learning, and finding ways to learn better. Avoid learning-suppression systems and keep moving.

      As regards docs:

      Mockups are good. After all, "it's always a good time to build an
      example", but once the example is implemented in code or tests, it is
      available to all and the original model is not useful. I believe in creating small docs, but only to later obviate and then delete them.

      Tim Ottinger
      http://agileinaflash.blogspot.com/
      http://agileotter.blogspot.com/