Re: [XP] Distributed Teams (was "Cards" (was: summary of the discusion

    Message 1 of 49 , Nov 9, 2009
      Hello, Clive. On Monday, November 9, 2009, at 5:11:33 AM, you
      wrote:

      > When I was being forced into accepting a distributed team, I argued 1
      > 1/2 times, but it was a gut feel. Is there somewhere I can find these
      > figures so I can be more successful in my argument next time?

      It won't help unless someone proves 10X, but ...

      http://xprogramming.com/blog/management/evidence-about-collocation/

      ... has some.

      (If folks remind me of things I should link that page to, I will
      ...)

      www.xprogramming.com/blog
      Just because XP doesn't talk about how to make fire, should we assume it
      requires us to use sticks? -- Richard MacDonald
    • William Pietri
      Message 49 of 49 , Nov 11, 2009
        Tim Ottinger wrote:
        > It really is shocking to me. Most agile shops bring investors, C-level managers, and customers into our work rooms and show off the card walls to them. The idea of hiding that is totally alien to my agile experience.

        It sounds crazy, but the primary purpose of some software development
        projects is not actually delivering useful software. Sure, nobody will
        say otherwise, but when you analyze behaviors, other things may be
        effectively more important. E.g., billing lots of hours. Or improving an
        executive's image. Or continuing to support the illusions that
        salespeople have fed to customers. Or creating opportunities for heroic
        effort.

        Trying to introduce Agile approaches to projects like that is an
        exercise in frustration. Effectiveness, efficiency, and transparency can
        have negative value to some stakeholders.

        William