The consequences of shortening release cycles

  • kentb
    Message 1 of 35 , Oct 20, 2009
      All,

      I am writing a new "Introduction to Agile Development" talk and I am
      structuring it by describing the qualitative changes necessary to enable
      successive shortening of the release cycle. Each transition--annual releases
      to quarterly, quarterly to monthly, monthly to weekly, weekly to daily, and
      daily to hourly--requires a shift in values, principles, and practices.

      I'd like to hear your stories about the transitions you've experienced--what
      prompted the push to shorter cycles, what you changed in preparation for the
      shift, what you discovered as a result of the shift, what you do the same
      way again, and what you wished you'd done differently.

      Private email, this mailing list, or the wiki page
      http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?ConsequencesOfShorteningReleaseCycles are fine media.

      One of the factors that looks to be interesting is the timing of certain
      changes. "You need to do XXX to move to weekly deployments--no, no, that's
      only necessary when you move to daily deployments as long as you YYY."

      Regards,

      Kent
    • George Dinwiddie
      Message 35 of 35 , Nov 13, 2009
        Tim Ottinger wrote:

> [...]

        Yeah, that could be a problem. Unless you run a distributed database
        with an instance on each server box. It could be done...

        - George