[ANN] Boston Area - Newton. Agile Bazaar November Meeting: Linda Cook - 'Crack that Whip' - Introducing Kanban into an Organization

  • Ron Morsicato
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19, 2009

      Agile Bazaar November 2009 Meeting
      .
      Crack that Whip- Introducing Kanban into an Organization

      Date : Thursday, November 5, 2009

      Time : 6:00 - 9:00 p.m.

      Place : Pizzeria Uno, 287 Washington St. Newton, MA 02458

      Parking: Free parking
      with validation from Uno's

      RSVP : Register at agilebazaar.org .
      We expect to fill all the seats, so sign up early!

      Food : Will be provided free!

      Cost : Free

      Help Publicize: Download our flyer at agilebazaar.org
      and post it at your work place.

      'Crack that Whip' - Introducing Kanban into an Organization

      with
      Linda Cook, Certified Scrum Master

      Limiting work in progress runs counter to most developer's instincts. We typically strive to react to the needs at hand, work in parallel when possible and quickly shift tasks when blocked, putting it off to be dealt with later or better yet, by someone else. Additionally, company cultures tend to reward a "just get it done" attitude which can be directly at odds with what's currently in progress. At The Motley Fool, we've introduced a Kanban process in two contexts: An IT infrastructure team and a website development team. By focusing on these cases, we will discuss how Kanban was introduced what aspects of Kanban were successful, how the process evolved, what failed and how we addressed the team's resistance to limiting work in progress.

      Our Speaker:
      Linda Cook is a dynamic leader who quickly gains insight into teams and is able to help her clients successfully adopt Lean and Agile methods. She has 15+ years of IT experience as a developer analyst, tester, database designer, methodologist, manager, trainer, and coach. She has helped many organizations successfully adopt Agile and Lean practices including SCRUM, XP, Kanban, Value Stream Mapping, 5S, Kaizen, and others. Linda's clients include large financial services organizations, education, and publishing companies, for example, Capital One, Capital One UK, Liberty Mutual, Introl Company Inc. Linda is recognized as one of the pioneer of Kanban System Development. She led the Agile transformation at The Motley Fool, INPUT, Inc., and others. Linda received her bachelors' degree from the College of Notre Dame in Business Management, with a concentration in Computer Information Systems. Linda completed formal training on Lean Six Sigma from Villanova University. She is a certified Scrum Master and is active in the international Scrum community. Linda also serves on the national board of the Agile Project Leadership Network (APLN).
      Parking

      Parking: Off Bacon Street there is underground parking that's free with validation. Enter using the left lane (the right lane is for those who have a special card). Ask Uno's to validate your paper ticket.

      AgileBazaar.org
      ,
      Upcoming Meetings - Save the dates!

      Thursday, Dec 3, 2009
      Speaker: Mike Hill of Anarchy Creek.

      Thursday, Jan 7, 2010
      Speakers: Tom and Mary Poppendieck

      Thursday, Feb 4, 2010
      Speaker: Amir Elfar of MedAvante

      About Agile Bazaar...

      New England Agile Bazaar is the leading community of Agile enthusiasts, practitioners and learners in New England. Based in Boston, we are committed to fostering a greater knowledge of Agile values and practices. We are a learning community focused on broadening our own understanding as well as spreading that knowledge to the broader community of professionals in the area.

      New England Agile Bazaar is both an Agile Alliance affiliate and an ACM chapter.

      Forward email Safe Unsubscribe
      This email was sent to morsicato@... by webmaster@... .
      Update Profile/Email Address | Instant removal with SafeUnsubscribe ™ | Privacy Policy .
      Email Marketing by
      Agile Bazaar Chapter of the ACM | c/o Stephen Anthony | 14 Walnut Ave | North Andover | MA | 01845