Re: [XP] Pair noise

  • Adam Sroka
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 14, 2009
      On Wed, Oct 14, 2009 at 8:25 AM, William Rutiser <wruyahoo05@...> wrote:

      > Adam Sroka wrote:
      > > I can't speak for Cenk and what he meant by "noisy as possible." I can
      > > say that I have found that the level of noise and the level of
      > > ambivalence towards vocal noise per se are good indicators of a
      > > culture that promotes collaboration. I am not aware of a level of
      > > noise that is too much presuming that noise is predominantly speech
      > > and not actual noise (As in random fluctuations in sound.)
      > >
      > > I do assert that I can walk in to a room where a development team is
      > > working and determine immediately that they are not collaborating
      > > sufficiently based solely on a lack of sound volume. (Unless it is
      > > lunchtime or a holiday...
      > Note that some kinds of partial hearing loss make it difficult to
      > understand much of anything in a noisy environment. It can be next to
      > impossible to carry on a conversation at a restaurant or party. This
      > appears to be more common in older people.

      That is a legitimate point, and if someone has a special need it needs
      to be addressed. However, I have never actually encountered this in
      the work place. What I have encountered is cultures that discourage
      collaboration and "sonic management" as a means to exert control.

      BTW, the need can be addressed without resorting to oppressive
      silence. For example, there are some really impressive new hearing
      aids on the market that are designed to solve this exact problem. Not
      only would they make a noisy workplace more comfortable, but they make
      day to day activities like crossing a busy street much safer.