Re: [XP] Commit[ment] messages

  • Adrian Howard
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 2, 2009
      On 2 Oct 2009, at 08:56, Olof Bjarnason wrote:

      > 2009/10/2 Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...>
      >
      >> Presumably, it would just be the next thing on my "todo list" (Kent
      >> Beck
      >> suggests we write these down. I keep a "todo list" in my head when
      >> I am
      >> coding.) For example, if I have just committed a (passing) test for
      >> "it
      >> should bar when foo" the next thing on my list might be to write a
      >> test for
      >> "it should not baz when foo." So that would be my "commitment
      >> message."
      >>

      > Adam's right, I meant the Kent Beck TODO-list items as commitment
      > message.

      I've never done this exactly, but I sometimes write in a continuation
      style when I know that a series of commits are going to tell a little
      story. So you'll occasionally see messages like

      Commit #1: Factor out transaction query setup ...
      Commit #2: ... allowing invoice centre queries to share the same setup
      process ...
      Commit #3: ... enabling merchant transaction queries to have custom
      query setup

      Cheers,

      Adrian