Commit[ment] messages

  • Olof Bjarnason
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 26, 2009
      Sometimes I've thought to apply the following rule to commit messages:

      When I commit, I don't describe what I have done, but what I intend to do next.

      Sort of like a "commitment" instead of "commit".

      Have anyone on this list tried that approach to commit messages?

      --
      twitter.com/olofb
      olofb.wordpress.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1 4:59 PM
        Presumably, it would just be the next thing on my "todo list" (Kent Beck
        suggests we write these down. I keep a "todo list" in my head when I am
        coding.) For example, if I have just committed a (passing) test for "it
        should bar when foo" the next thing on my list might be to write a test for
        "it should not baz when foo." So that would be my "commitment message."

        On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Renan Martins <renan.imartins@...>wrote:

        > Could you give us an example of "commitment message"?
        >
        > On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 2:56 PM, Olof Bjarnason <olof.bjarnason@...<olof.bjarnason%40gmail.com>
        > >wrote:
        >

        > > Sometimes I've thought to apply the following rule to commit messages:
        > >
        > > When I commit, I don't describe what I have done, but what I intend to do
        > > next.
        > >
        > > Sort of like a "commitment" instead of "commit".
        > >
        > > Have anyone on this list tried that approach to commit messages?
        > >
        > > --
        > > twitter.com/olofb
        > > olofb.wordpress.com
        > > olofb.wordpress.com/tag/english
        > >

        > --
        > Renan Ivo Martins
        > Web Developer
        > (+55 11) 8236-3276

      • Kim Gräsman
        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1 10:00 PM
          Hi Olof,

          On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 19:56, Olof Bjarnason <olof.bjarnason@...> wrote:
          > Sometimes I've thought to apply the following rule to commit messages:
          >
          > When I commit, I don't describe what I have done, but what I intend to do next.
          >
          > Sort of like a "commitment" instead of "commit".
          >
          > Have anyone on this list tried that approach to commit messages?

          Sort of. When I need to commit halfway through something, or commit
          something with known problems I tend to flag it in the comment. I
          don't necessarily track comments I've made earlier and make sure I've
          actually "delivered on my commitment", but I tend to write down on
          paper what's left to do and follow up on that.

          The comment is mostly useful for sharing with other developers on the
          same code base that all may not be well yet,

          - Kim
        • Olof Bjarnason
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 2 12:56 AM
            2009/10/2 Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...>

            > Presumably, it would just be the next thing on my "todo list" (Kent Beck
            > suggests we write these down. I keep a "todo list" in my head when I am
            > coding.) For example, if I have just committed a (passing) test for "it
            > should bar when foo" the next thing on my list might be to write a test for
            > "it should not baz when foo." So that would be my "commitment message."

            Adam's right, I meant the Kent Beck TODO-list items as commitment message.

            > On Thu, Oct 1, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Renan Martins <renan.imartins@...<renan.imartins%40gmail.com>
            > >wrote:
            >

            > > Could you give us an example of "commitment message"?
            > >
            > > On Sat, Sep 26, 2009 at 2:56 PM, Olof Bjarnason <
            > olof.bjarnason@... <olof.bjarnason%40gmail.com><olof.bjarnason%
            > 40gmail.com>
            > > >wrote:
            > >

            > > > Sometimes I've thought to apply the following rule to commit messages:
            > > >
            > > > When I commit, I don't describe what I have done, but what I intend to
            > do
            > > > next.
            > > >
            > > > Sort of like a "commitment" instead of "commit".
            > > >
            > > > Have anyone on this list tried that approach to commit messages?
            > > >
            > > > --
            > > > twitter.com/olofb
            > > > olofb.wordpress.com
            > > > olofb.wordpress.com/tag/english
            > > >

            > > --
            > > Renan Ivo Martins
            > > Web Developer
            > > (+55 11) 8236-3276

            twitter.com/olofb
            olofb.wordpress.com
            olofb.wordpress.com/tag/english

          • Adrian Howard
            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 2 5:03 AM
              On 2 Oct 2009, at 08:56, Olof Bjarnason wrote:

              > 2009/10/2 Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...>
              >
              >> Presumably, it would just be the next thing on my "todo list" (Kent
              >> Beck
              >> suggests we write these down. I keep a "todo list" in my head when
              >> I am
              >> coding.) For example, if I have just committed a (passing) test for
              >> "it
              >> should bar when foo" the next thing on my list might be to write a
              >> test for
              >> "it should not baz when foo." So that would be my "commitment
              >> message."
              >>

              > Adam's right, I meant the Kent Beck TODO-list items as commitment
              > message.

              I've never done this exactly, but I sometimes write in a continuation
              style when I know that a series of commits are going to tell a little
              story. So you'll occasionally see messages like

              Commit #1: Factor out transaction query setup ...
              Commit #2: ... allowing invoice centre queries to share the same setup
              process ...
              Commit #3: ... enabling merchant transaction queries to have custom
              query setup

              Cheers,

              Adrian