Re: [XP] OT: Extra computers, what to do!?

  • Curtis Cooley
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 7, 2009
      On Mon, Sep 7, 2009 at 7:47 AM, Chris
      Wheeler<christopher.wheeler@...> wrote:

      > All,
      >
      > I'm not much of a geek outside my professional life, by geek standards, but
      > I do like to tinker on occasion. Today, I've been doing my annual 'Kids go
      > back to school' Labour Day house purge, and found 3 computers that I had
      > kicking around - two PC's, one Mac PowerPC.
      >
      > So, a fun question: do any of you do anything cool with extra computers you
      > have hanging around? Anything, like home servers, automation, media
      > stuff.... I'm looking for ideas beyond the original ones that came across my
      > mind - 'Donate them' (which, btw, is a worthy thing to do and I may end up
      > doing it) or get one of my kids to learn to build and install a Linux
      > server... What do you people do with your machines that are a little geeky
      > and that might give me a little fun?

      I usually combine all the components to make the best machine I can
      then use it as a server. Right now I use it as a file/Samba server and
      as an Apache server so I can get good at deploying Rails applications.
      I've used them as svn servers in the past but I use Bazaar now
      instead.

      I also have my USB drive connected to it and use it to back up my data.

      I've not done it because I have TiVO, but you can also look into
      http://www.mythtv.org/. You'll need a TV tuner card, but turning an
      old PC into a DVR might be worth it.
      --
      Curtis Cooley