Re: [XP] pairing time, Arlo Belshee's measurements and scientific evidence

  • Adam Sroka
    Message 1 of 68 , Sep 6, 2009
      Hi Chris:

      I, for one, am more for trying it and seeing what results I get.
      Analyzing someone else's data is considerably less interesting to me.
      It is possible that mine is more representative of the views here, but
      I'm not sure that's true. In any case, I'm fairly sure you're not
      alone, you're just the most vocal representative of that view.

      On the other hand, if you can't get access to Arlo's data in a way
      that would make it possible for you to reliably verify it, you could
      always design your own experiment to prove the part of the problem
      that is interesting to you.

      On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Chris
      Wheeler<christopher.wheeler@...> wrote:

      > On Sun, Sep 6, 2009 at 10:20 AM, jeffgrigg63132
      > <jeffgrigg@...>wrote:
      >

      >> I think that the problem is that we are dealing with social issues: We're
      >> not trying to determine the trajectory of a missile through space, or the
      >> effect of a drug on (typical) patients. We're really trying to determine
      >> what environmental factors result in the most creative and effective work
      >> products produced by groups of human beings.
      >>
      >> I would certainly like there to be more rigorous scientific research. And
      >> I would like it if more people would measure and report what they're
      >> experiencing in real-world projects. But until someone magically makes
      >> those miracles happen, I find that I must continue to make decisions based
      >> only on the best information available at the time -- which, for this
      >> industry, has been mostly experience reports and personal experience.
      >>

      > <sigh>
      >
      > I think this will be my last post on this matter - I doubt we are getting
      > further down any road. Here's what I was asking for:
      > 1) a more detailed description of the method that was used
      > 2) access to the data so that I could verify it.

      > double blind studies or formulation of a theoretical model. I am looking for
      > more information that would lead to the characterization of factors that are
      > significant in the experiment that Arlo conducted.
      >
      > It may be the case that I am the only person in this discussion group that
      > cares about this, and that is fine by me: I'm not going to attempt to
      > convince you that there is more that you could learn from Arlo's experiment.
      > On the other hand, I'm not going to budge from my own position just because
      > many of you eschew such an approach.
      >
      > To each his own, I suppose.
      >
      > Chris.

    • Adam Sroka