Re: [XP] Pairing when you work alone

  • Peter Bell
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3 7:40 AM
      Try pairing at conferences, join local meetups and pair with
      programmers (your language or another - doesn't matter). Find another
      person working in a small company and convince both bosses that you'll
      work half day a week pairing on their projects and they will do the
      same on yours - give it two weeks - everyone will be happy with the
      results.

      Best Wishes.
      Peter

      On Sep 3, 2009, at 10:15 AM, Ron Jeffries wrote:

      > Hello, Ian. On Thursday, September 3, 2009, at 9:09:44 AM, you
      > wrote:
      >
      > > How would someone who works alone - or even members of very small
      > teams
      > > of 2 or 3 - get some of the benefits of pairing, given their
      > situation?
      >
      > Um ... the benefits of pairing come only when pairing.
      >
      > Code reviews and such are nice but really not the same at all.
      >
      > Ron Jeffries
      > www.XProgramming.com
      > www.xprogramming.com/blog
      > A long range weather forecast should be obtained before leaving,
      > as weather conditions are extremely unpredictable. --Natal Daily News

    • Tim Ottinger
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3 7:50 AM
        > Um ... the benefits of pairing come only when pairing.
        > Ron Jeffries

        A sad "+1" on this. You can get the benefits of TDD, though. There are many benefits you can have, but you can't get the benefits of pairing without pairing. Pairing works because the other person is an other person.

        If you know another singleton programmer, maybe you could pair on your stuff a day or two a week and on his stuff another day or two. That's "community" and is iffy stuff if other people own your work (NDAs and the like) or you can't trust each other. But maybe those are things you can work through after all.

        I remote pair. That's not as good as live pairing, but it is still pairing and I can learn/teach while producing that way. It has helped me.

        Tim Ottinger
        http://agileinaflash.blogspot.com/
        http://agileotter.blogspot.com/