Re: [XP] Pairing when you work alone

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3, 2009
      Hello, Ian. On Thursday, September 3, 2009, at 9:09:44 AM, you
      wrote:

      > How would someone who works alone - or even members of very small teams
      > of 2 or 3 - get some of the benefits of pairing, given their situation?

      Um ... the benefits of pairing come only when pairing.

      Code reviews and such are nice but really not the same at all.

      www.xprogramming.com/blog
      A long range weather forecast should be obtained before leaving,
      as weather conditions are extremely unpredictable. --Natal Daily News
    • Colin Garriga-Sala√ľn
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3, 2009
        Hi Ian, hi all,

        I have been working alone for almost a year now on a software hoping
        it will generates an activity. I could share three things.

        First, strategically, I would advice you to find a first user as soon
        as possible. I have been working alone for almost 6 months and I was
        my only user. I was asking around me : will you use this software ?
        What will makes you use it ? Now i have a user whose feedback drives
        me to the first beta release. My question changed : will you promote
        this software ? What will makes you promote it ? I can say that when I
        found this very first user, it was like the project could really
        start, actually. It was a new beginning.

        Second, I learnt to search for the conditions which will give me a
        state of flow. Without pairing it is really easy to make bad choices.
        So I am taking time. I have no schedule, no pressure. I am taking time
        to build a clear vision of what exactly do I want, why exactly will I
        do it, how exactly will I do it. I don't pretend adding value before
        this very clear vision. This could help :
        http://www.infoq.com/presentations/transcendence-gate-dave-west

        Third, I am looking for help on mailing lists :)

        Well I hope this could help you.

        Sincerely,
        Colin

        2009/9/3 <drc@...>:

        > Make friends with someone and work together collaboratively.
        >
        > Seriously... You must know someone somewhere who's doing similar work who
        > might be willing to experiment with pairing with you.
        >
        > We do a lot of remote work sessions using GoToMeeting (or you could use any
        > of the open source desktop sharing software packages). and Skype.
        >
        > Works well.
        >
        > -- David Chilcott
        > Outformations, Inc.
        > drc@...
        > 510.655.7122 Voice
        >
        > Keep Breathing. Tell the Truth. Be Fearless. Choose Love. Embrace the
        > Mystery.

        > Ask me about the Outformations Agile Enterprise JumpStart
        > http://bit.ly/yORPz
        >
        > Please join us at Agile Open California!
        > http://bit.ly/VH9s6
        >
        > Ian Hobson
        > <ian@...
        > .uk> To
        > Sent by: extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com
        > extremeprogrammin cc
        > g@yahoogroups.com
        > Subject
        > [XP] Pairing when you work alone
        > 09/03/2009 06:12
        > AM
        >

        > Please respond to
        > extremeprogrammin
        > g@yahoogroups.com
        >

        > Hi all,
        >
        > I have been following the discussion on pairing with great interest, and
        > a bit of jealously!
        >
        > For I work alone (not even a dog!).
        >
        > How would someone who works alone - or even members of very small teams
        > of 2 or 3 - get some of the benefits of pairing, given their situation?
        >
        > Regards
        >
        > Ian

      • Peter Bell
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3, 2009
          Try pairing at conferences, join local meetups and pair with
          programmers (your language or another - doesn't matter). Find another
          person working in a small company and convince both bosses that you'll
          work half day a week pairing on their projects and they will do the
          same on yours - give it two weeks - everyone will be happy with the
          results.

          Best Wishes.
          Peter

          On Sep 3, 2009, at 10:15 AM, Ron Jeffries wrote:

          > Hello, Ian. On Thursday, September 3, 2009, at 9:09:44 AM, you
          > wrote:
          >
          > > How would someone who works alone - or even members of very small
          > teams
          > > of 2 or 3 - get some of the benefits of pairing, given their
          > situation?
          >
          > Um ... the benefits of pairing come only when pairing.
          >
          > Code reviews and such are nice but really not the same at all.
          >
          > Ron Jeffries
          > www.XProgramming.com
          > www.xprogramming.com/blog
          > A long range weather forecast should be obtained before leaving,
          > as weather conditions are extremely unpredictable. --Natal Daily News

        • Tim Ottinger
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3, 2009
            > Um ... the benefits of pairing come only when pairing.
            > Ron Jeffries

            A sad "+1" on this. You can get the benefits of TDD, though. There are many benefits you can have, but you can't get the benefits of pairing without pairing. Pairing works because the other person is an other person.

            If you know another singleton programmer, maybe you could pair on your stuff a day or two a week and on his stuff another day or two. That's "community" and is iffy stuff if other people own your work (NDAs and the like) or you can't trust each other. But maybe those are things you can work through after all.

            I remote pair. That's not as good as live pairing, but it is still pairing and I can learn/teach while producing that way. It has helped me.

            Tim Ottinger
            http://agileinaflash.blogspot.com/
            http://agileotter.blogspot.com/