Re: [XP] Pairing when you work alone

  • drc@outformations.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3, 2009
      Make friends with someone and work together collaboratively.

      Seriously... You must know someone somewhere who's doing similar work who
      might be willing to experiment with pairing with you.

      We do a lot of remote work sessions using GoToMeeting (or you could use any
      of the open source desktop sharing software packages). and Skype.

      Works well.

      -- David Chilcott
      Outformations, Inc.
      drc@...
      510.655.7122 Voice

      Keep Breathing. Tell the Truth. Be Fearless. Choose Love. Embrace the
      Mystery.

      Ask me about the Outformations Agile Enterprise JumpStart
      http://bit.ly/yORPz

      Please join us at Agile Open California!
      http://bit.ly/VH9s6

      Ian Hobson
      <ian@...
      .uk> To
      Sent by: extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com
      extremeprogrammin cc
      g@yahoogroups.com
      Subject
      [XP] Pairing when you work alone
      09/03/2009 06:12
      AM

      Please respond to
      extremeprogrammin
      g@yahoogroups.com

      Hi all,

      I have been following the discussion on pairing with great interest, and
      a bit of jealously!

      For I work alone (not even a dog!).

      How would someone who works alone - or even members of very small teams
      of 2 or 3 - get some of the benefits of pairing, given their situation?

      Regards

      Ian

    • D. André Dhondt
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3, 2009
        Two more:
        *If you've got access to developers in another department, you can ask for
        help troubleshooting or debugging every once in a while.
        *teddy bear explanations (or whatever it's called)--explain your problem or
        design or situation to any inanimate object. Just the act of explaining it
        forces you to reevaluate your assumptions, and may lead to insight. If
        you've got a kid or a spouse available, that's even better, because they may
        ask questions. Still,
        explaining<http://dhondtsayitsagile.blogspot.com/2008/10/dont-explain-yourself.html>can
        be a "pairing smell", so it's more of a desperate measure when you
        really can't find someone vested in the project to work with.

        --
        D. André Dhondt
        http://dhondtsayitsagile.blogspot.com/

        Support low-cost conferences -- http://agiletour.org/

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3, 2009
          Hello, Ian. On Thursday, September 3, 2009, at 9:09:44 AM, you
          wrote:

          > How would someone who works alone - or even members of very small teams
          > of 2 or 3 - get some of the benefits of pairing, given their situation?

          Um ... the benefits of pairing come only when pairing.

          Code reviews and such are nice but really not the same at all.

          www.xprogramming.com/blog
          A long range weather forecast should be obtained before leaving,
          as weather conditions are extremely unpredictable. --Natal Daily News
        • Colin Garriga-Salaün
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3, 2009
            Hi Ian, hi all,

            I have been working alone for almost a year now on a software hoping
            it will generates an activity. I could share three things.

            First, strategically, I would advice you to find a first user as soon
            as possible. I have been working alone for almost 6 months and I was
            my only user. I was asking around me : will you use this software ?
            What will makes you use it ? Now i have a user whose feedback drives
            me to the first beta release. My question changed : will you promote
            this software ? What will makes you promote it ? I can say that when I
            found this very first user, it was like the project could really
            start, actually. It was a new beginning.

            Second, I learnt to search for the conditions which will give me a
            state of flow. Without pairing it is really easy to make bad choices.
            So I am taking time. I have no schedule, no pressure. I am taking time
            to build a clear vision of what exactly do I want, why exactly will I
            do it, how exactly will I do it. I don't pretend adding value before
            this very clear vision. This could help :
            http://www.infoq.com/presentations/transcendence-gate-dave-west

            Third, I am looking for help on mailing lists :)

            Well I hope this could help you.

            Sincerely,
            Colin

            2009/9/3 <drc@...>:

            > Make friends with someone and work together collaboratively.
            >
            > Seriously... You must know someone somewhere who's doing similar work who
            > might be willing to experiment with pairing with you.
            >
            > We do a lot of remote work sessions using GoToMeeting (or you could use any
            > of the open source desktop sharing software packages). and Skype.
            >
            > Works well.
            >
            > -- David Chilcott
            > Outformations, Inc.
            > drc@...
            > 510.655.7122 Voice
            >
            > Keep Breathing. Tell the Truth. Be Fearless. Choose Love. Embrace the
            > Mystery.

            > Ask me about the Outformations Agile Enterprise JumpStart
            > http://bit.ly/yORPz
            >
            > Please join us at Agile Open California!
            > http://bit.ly/VH9s6
            >
            > Ian Hobson
            > <ian@...
            > .uk> To
            > Sent by: extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com
            > extremeprogrammin cc
            > g@yahoogroups.com
            > Subject
            > [XP] Pairing when you work alone
            > 09/03/2009 06:12
            > AM
            >

            > Please respond to
            > extremeprogrammin
            > g@yahoogroups.com
            >

            > Hi all,
            >
            > I have been following the discussion on pairing with great interest, and
            > a bit of jealously!
            >
            > For I work alone (not even a dog!).
            >
            > How would someone who works alone - or even members of very small teams
            > of 2 or 3 - get some of the benefits of pairing, given their situation?
            >
            > Regards
            >
            > Ian

          • Peter Bell
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 3, 2009
              Try pairing at conferences, join local meetups and pair with
              programmers (your language or another - doesn't matter). Find another
              person working in a small company and convince both bosses that you'll
              work half day a week pairing on their projects and they will do the
              same on yours - give it two weeks - everyone will be happy with the
              results.

              Best Wishes.
              Peter

              On Sep 3, 2009, at 10:15 AM, Ron Jeffries wrote:

              > Hello, Ian. On Thursday, September 3, 2009, at 9:09:44 AM, you
              > wrote:
              >
              > > How would someone who works alone - or even members of very small
              > teams
              > > of 2 or 3 - get some of the benefits of pairing, given their
              > situation?
              >
              > Um ... the benefits of pairing come only when pairing.
              >
              > Code reviews and such are nice but really not the same at all.
              >
              > Ron Jeffries
              > www.XProgramming.com
              > www.xprogramming.com/blog
              > A long range weather forecast should be obtained before leaving,
              > as weather conditions are extremely unpredictable. --Natal Daily News

            • Tim Ottinger
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 3, 2009
                > Um ... the benefits of pairing come only when pairing.
                > Ron Jeffries

                A sad "+1" on this. You can get the benefits of TDD, though. There are many benefits you can have, but you can't get the benefits of pairing without pairing. Pairing works because the other person is an other person.

                If you know another singleton programmer, maybe you could pair on your stuff a day or two a week and on his stuff another day or two. That's "community" and is iffy stuff if other people own your work (NDAs and the like) or you can't trust each other. But maybe those are things you can work through after all.

                I remote pair. That's not as good as live pairing, but it is still pairing and I can learn/teach while producing that way. It has helped me.

                Tim Ottinger
                http://agileinaflash.blogspot.com/
                http://agileotter.blogspot.com/