Pairing when you work alone

  • Ian Hobson
    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 3, 2009
      Hi all,

      I have been following the discussion on pairing with great interest, and
      a bit of jealously!

      For I work alone (not even a dog!).

      How would someone who works alone - or even members of very small teams
      of 2 or 3 - get some of the benefits of pairing, given their situation?

      Regards

      Ian
    • D. André Dhondt
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 3, 2009
        >How would someone who works alone...
        I think it still takes two to tango, but if you have a customer on-site, or
        you go on-site with the customer, you can get some pairing benefits by
        reviewing acceptance tests or product demos together. If you work with
        testers or end-users, you can talk to them about your design trade-offs. If
        you go to a regular user-group, you can do coding dojo stuff with your
        production code. Or you can try contributing to a really active open-source
        project--you'll get feedback about your coding habits from the committers.

        Once you get to 2 people, you can pair. You may need more breaks than teams
        of 3 or more because it's hard to work with the same person alllll daaaay
        lllloooonnggg.

        --
        D. André Dhondt
        http://dhondtsayitsagile.blogspot.com/

        Support low-cost conferences -- http://agiletour.org/

        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 3, 2009
          Make friends with someone and work together collaboratively.

          Seriously... You must know someone somewhere who's doing similar work who
          might be willing to experiment with pairing with you.

          We do a lot of remote work sessions using GoToMeeting (or you could use any
          of the open source desktop sharing software packages). and Skype.

          Works well.

          -- David Chilcott
          Outformations, Inc.
          drc@...
          510.655.7122 Voice

          Keep Breathing. Tell the Truth. Be Fearless. Choose Love. Embrace the
          Mystery.

          Ask me about the Outformations Agile Enterprise JumpStart
          http://bit.ly/yORPz

          Please join us at Agile Open California!
          http://bit.ly/VH9s6

          Ian Hobson
          <ian@...
          .uk> To
          Sent by: extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com
          extremeprogrammin cc
          g@yahoogroups.com
          Subject
          [XP] Pairing when you work alone
          09/03/2009 06:12
          AM

          Please respond to
          extremeprogrammin
          g@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 3, 2009
            Two more:
            *If you've got access to developers in another department, you can ask for
            help troubleshooting or debugging every once in a while.
            *teddy bear explanations (or whatever it's called)--explain your problem or
            design or situation to any inanimate object. Just the act of explaining it
            forces you to reevaluate your assumptions, and may lead to insight. If
            you've got a kid or a spouse available, that's even better, because they may
            ask questions. Still,
            explaining<http://dhondtsayitsagile.blogspot.com/2008/10/dont-explain-yourself.html>can
            be a "pairing smell", so it's more of a desperate measure when you
            really can't find someone vested in the project to work with.

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 3, 2009
              Hello, Ian. On Thursday, September 3, 2009, at 9:09:44 AM, you
              wrote:

              > How would someone who works alone - or even members of very small teams
              > of 2 or 3 - get some of the benefits of pairing, given their situation?

              Um ... the benefits of pairing come only when pairing.

              Code reviews and such are nice but really not the same at all.

              www.xprogramming.com/blog
              A long range weather forecast should be obtained before leaving,
              as weather conditions are extremely unpredictable. --Natal Daily News
            • Colin Garriga-Salaün
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 3, 2009
                Hi Ian, hi all,

                I have been working alone for almost a year now on a software hoping
                it will generates an activity. I could share three things.

                First, strategically, I would advice you to find a first user as soon
                as possible. I have been working alone for almost 6 months and I was
                my only user. I was asking around me : will you use this software ?
                What will makes you use it ? Now i have a user whose feedback drives
                me to the first beta release. My question changed : will you promote
                this software ? What will makes you promote it ? I can say that when I
                found this very first user, it was like the project could really
                start, actually. It was a new beginning.

                Second, I learnt to search for the conditions which will give me a
                state of flow. Without pairing it is really easy to make bad choices.
                So I am taking time. I have no schedule, no pressure. I am taking time
                to build a clear vision of what exactly do I want, why exactly will I
                do it, how exactly will I do it. I don't pretend adding value before
                this very clear vision. This could help :
                http://www.infoq.com/presentations/transcendence-gate-dave-west

                Third, I am looking for help on mailing lists :)

                Well I hope this could help you.

                Sincerely,
                Colin

                2009/9/3 <drc@...>:

                > Make friends with someone and work together collaboratively.
                >
                > Seriously... You must know someone somewhere who's doing similar work who
                > might be willing to experiment with pairing with you.
                >
                > We do a lot of remote work sessions using GoToMeeting (or you could use any
                > of the open source desktop sharing software packages). and Skype.
                >
                > Works well.
                >
                > -- David Chilcott
                > Outformations, Inc.
                > drc@...
                > 510.655.7122 Voice
                >
                > Keep Breathing. Tell the Truth. Be Fearless. Choose Love. Embrace the
                > Mystery.

                > Ask me about the Outformations Agile Enterprise JumpStart
                > http://bit.ly/yORPz
                >
                > Please join us at Agile Open California!
                > http://bit.ly/VH9s6
                >
                > Ian Hobson
                > <ian@...
                > .uk> To
                > Sent by: extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com
                > extremeprogrammin cc
                > g@yahoogroups.com
                > Subject
                > [XP] Pairing when you work alone
                > 09/03/2009 06:12
                > AM
                >

                > Please respond to
                > extremeprogrammin
                > g@yahoogroups.com
                >

                > Hi all,
                >
                > I have been following the discussion on pairing with great interest, and
                > a bit of jealously!
                >
                > For I work alone (not even a dog!).
                >
                > How would someone who works alone - or even members of very small teams
                > of 2 or 3 - get some of the benefits of pairing, given their situation?
                >
                > Regards
                >
                > Ian

              • Peter Bell
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 3, 2009
                  Try pairing at conferences, join local meetups and pair with
                  programmers (your language or another - doesn't matter). Find another
                  person working in a small company and convince both bosses that you'll
                  work half day a week pairing on their projects and they will do the
                  same on yours - give it two weeks - everyone will be happy with the
                  results.

                  Best Wishes.
                  Peter

                  On Sep 3, 2009, at 10:15 AM, Ron Jeffries wrote:

                  > Hello, Ian. On Thursday, September 3, 2009, at 9:09:44 AM, you
                  > wrote:
                  >
                  > > How would someone who works alone - or even members of very small
                  > teams
                  > > of 2 or 3 - get some of the benefits of pairing, given their
                  > situation?
                  >
                  > Um ... the benefits of pairing come only when pairing.
                  >
                  > Code reviews and such are nice but really not the same at all.
                  >
                  > Ron Jeffries
                  > www.XProgramming.com
                  > www.xprogramming.com/blog
                  > A long range weather forecast should be obtained before leaving,
                  > as weather conditions are extremely unpredictable. --Natal Daily News

                • Tim Ottinger
                  Message 8 of 8 , Sep 3, 2009
                    > Um ... the benefits of pairing come only when pairing.
                    > Ron Jeffries

                    A sad "+1" on this. You can get the benefits of TDD, though. There are many benefits you can have, but you can't get the benefits of pairing without pairing. Pairing works because the other person is an other person.

                    If you know another singleton programmer, maybe you could pair on your stuff a day or two a week and on his stuff another day or two. That's "community" and is iffy stuff if other people own your work (NDAs and the like) or you can't trust each other. But maybe those are things you can work through after all.

                    I remote pair. That's not as good as live pairing, but it is still pairing and I can learn/teach while producing that way. It has helped me.

                    Tim Ottinger
                    http://agileinaflash.blogspot.com/
                    http://agileotter.blogspot.com/