Re: [XP] graphic designers

  • D. AndrĂ© Dhondt
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 3, 2009
      >So most just let the person work with the programmers and commit then along
      side them?

      Right. The main idea is to avoid a silo / bottleneck / low truck number.
      Pair this person up with a developer, work closely with a customer with
      frequent demos, and schedule it all with story cards. Soon the UI person
      will become poly-functional and may be helping with other dev work too, and
      the devs may be doing more css/HTML. I'm not so sure that the developers
      will do much photoshop, though. I did work one place where we (developers)
      used photoshop to make minor manipulations to graphics that an artist
      created... but we weren't creating the art. Still, this makes the truck
      number higher except for the artwork, and that is still a good thing.

      On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 7:30 PM, Justin Daubenmire <jdaubenm@...>wrote:

      > From: Adrian Howard <adrianh@... <adrianh%40quietstars.com>>
      >
      > What kind of work is this person doing? Just CSS/HTML? Graphic design
      > work?
      >
      > ---snip---
      >
      > Yes, css, a few images, and themes. It is an asp.net web application .
      > Past those three tasks, the person is not doing much.
      >
      > So most just let the person work with the programmers and commit then along
      > side them?
      >
      > Thanks for the feedback!
      >
      > /Justin

      D. André Dhondt
      mobile: 001 33 671 034 984
      http://dhondtsayitsagile.blogspot.com/

      Support low-cost conferences -- http://agiletour.org/

    • scottwambler
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 3, 2009
        I have an article on how UI activities fit into an agile project at http://www.agilemodeling.com/essays/agileUsability.htm which provides some advice which you may find useful.

        - Scott
        Chief Methodologist/Agile, IBM Rational

        --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Justin Daubenmire <jdaubenm@...> wrote:

        > Hey All,
        >
        > I am wondering how everyone uses graphic designers in the process of an iteration?
        >
        > I am confused on how to integrate graphic work in our CI process.
        >
        > How do others handle this situation?
        >
        > That is, your CI auto-deploys to a development server, staged server, possibly a production server. At what point does a graphic designer work on css, graphics, stuff like that?
        >
        > Does your graphic designers use source control and work along the developers at the same time?
        >
        > Thanks for any ideas on how you guys handle this situation!
        >
        > /Justin

      • jmilunsky
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 3, 2009
          couple things you can try ...

          pair the design guy with the dev.

          Most of the work we do is web application development

          We ensure that during the sprint, there is enough time for the graphic developer to complete the css/javascript/html as required and those are tasks on our backlog

          Jack
          blog.agilebuddy.com
          twitter.com/agilebuddy