graphic designers

  • Justin Daubenmire
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2009
      Hey All,

      I am wondering how everyone uses graphic designers in the process of an iteration?

      I am confused on how to integrate graphic work in our CI process.

      How do others handle this situation?

      That is, your CI auto-deploys to a development server, staged server, possibly a production server. At what point does a graphic designer work on css, graphics, stuff like that?

      Does your graphic designers use source control and work along the developers at the same time?

      Thanks for any ideas on how you guys handle this situation!

      /Justin
    • Adrian Howard
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2009
        On 2 Sep 2009, at 16:08, Justin Daubenmire wrote:

        > Hey All,
        >
        > I am wondering how everyone uses graphic designers in the process of
        > an iteration?

        What kind of work is this person doing? Just CSS/HTML? Graphic design
        work? User Experience work / Interaction|Interface Design /
        Information Architecture / Usability Testing? Something else?

        I've seen some folk with the "graphic designer" label doing things
        that are more oriented towards being a participant in the Customer
        role. Sometimes they're much closer to the dev team. Sometimes they
        have to straddle both.

        Knowing more about what the person does on the team might help give
        more specific advice.

        > I am confused on how to integrate graphic work in our CI process.
        >
        > How do others handle this situation?
        >
        > That is, your CI auto-deploys to a development server, staged
        > server, possibly a production server. At what point does a graphic
        > designer work on css, graphics, stuff like that?
        >
        > Does your graphic designers use source control and work along the
        > developers at the same time?

        Yup. That's what I'd recommend. They're a member of the team just like
        everybody else.

        In our team (and all of the places I've worked recently) if somebody
        is changing front-end CSS/HTML then they're going to be checking stuff
        in, and that stuff is going to be deployed, and there will be some
        checks run on the CI server when that stuff is deployed (e.g. CSS/HTML
        validity, legal links, etc.)

        If they're not working with everybody else you're just creating an
        integration nightmare at some point in your future.s

        Cheers,

        Adrian

        --
        http://quietstars.com - twitter.com/adrianh - delicious.com/adrianh
      • Justin Daubenmire
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2009
          From: Adrian Howard <adrianh@...>
          What kind of work is this person doing? Just CSS/HTML? Graphic design
          work?

          ---snip---

          Yes, css, a few images, and themes. It is an asp.net web application . Past those three tasks, the person is not doing much.

          So most just let the person work with the programmers and commit then along side them?

          Thanks for the feedback!

          /Justin

        • D. André Dhondt
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 3, 2009
            >So most just let the person work with the programmers and commit then along
            side them?

            Right. The main idea is to avoid a silo / bottleneck / low truck number.
            Pair this person up with a developer, work closely with a customer with
            frequent demos, and schedule it all with story cards. Soon the UI person
            will become poly-functional and may be helping with other dev work too, and
            the devs may be doing more css/HTML. I'm not so sure that the developers
            will do much photoshop, though. I did work one place where we (developers)
            used photoshop to make minor manipulations to graphics that an artist
            created... but we weren't creating the art. Still, this makes the truck
            number higher except for the artwork, and that is still a good thing.

            On Wed, Sep 2, 2009 at 7:30 PM, Justin Daubenmire <jdaubenm@...>wrote:

            > From: Adrian Howard <adrianh@... <adrianh%40quietstars.com>>
            >
            > What kind of work is this person doing? Just CSS/HTML? Graphic design
            > work?
            >
            > ---snip---
            >
            > Yes, css, a few images, and themes. It is an asp.net web application .
            > Past those three tasks, the person is not doing much.
            >
            > So most just let the person work with the programmers and commit then along
            > side them?
            >
            > Thanks for the feedback!
            >
            > /Justin

            D. André Dhondt
            mobile: 001 33 671 034 984
            http://dhondtsayitsagile.blogspot.com/

            Support low-cost conferences -- http://agiletour.org/

          • scottwambler
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 3, 2009
              I have an article on how UI activities fit into an agile project at http://www.agilemodeling.com/essays/agileUsability.htm which provides some advice which you may find useful.

              - Scott
              Chief Methodologist/Agile, IBM Rational

              --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Justin Daubenmire <jdaubenm@...> wrote:

              > Hey All,
              >
              > I am wondering how everyone uses graphic designers in the process of an iteration?
              >
              > I am confused on how to integrate graphic work in our CI process.
              >
              > How do others handle this situation?
              >
              > That is, your CI auto-deploys to a development server, staged server, possibly a production server. At what point does a graphic designer work on css, graphics, stuff like that?
              >
              > Does your graphic designers use source control and work along the developers at the same time?
              >
              > Thanks for any ideas on how you guys handle this situation!
              >
              > /Justin

            • jmilunsky
              Message 6 of 6 , Sep 3, 2009
                couple things you can try ...

                pair the design guy with the dev.

                Most of the work we do is web application development

                We ensure that during the sprint, there is enough time for the graphic developer to complete the css/javascript/html as required and those are tasks on our backlog

                Jack
                blog.agilebuddy.com
                twitter.com/agilebuddy