Re: [XP] stand ups

  • Adam Sroka
    Message 1 of 19 , Aug 26, 2009
      Hi Ilja:

      A little behind on the email, huh?

      I don't think that it is necessarily true that everything gets
      communicated outside the stand-up. Personally, I like to know what is
      going on and what everyone is doing. I like to know it more often than
      once a day, so I'll usually ask. Therefore, as a team member I don't
      get much out of the stand-ups because I already know what people are
      going to say. Consequently, I find stand-ups boring and redundant.
      That said, most people don't do what I do and most teams (even the
      ones I am on) should do stand-ups.

      One other thing: when I am wearing the coach hat I find stand-ups
      incredibly useful. As a coach I still want to know what everyone is
      doing and I will ask and/or observe multiple times per day. But, as a
      coach what is and isn't said at the stand-up tells me a lot about team
      communication. Sometimes I will notice things that aren't brought up
      that are important. Other times what gets emphasized is notable.
      Finally, when teams go off script during a stand-up (i.e. talk about
      something other than what I did, what I will do, what is in my way)
      they are usually experiencing a compulsion to talk about something
      that they haven't otherwise been talking about. That is a powerful
      indicator of where the communication barriers are.