Re: [XP] XPlorations - 100 Impediments, and a Summary Sheet on Ways to Split Stories

  • James Carr
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 18, 2009
      Since you're missing a 100th impediment, I might suggest "Test
      Everything Extensively vs. Test Driven Design". In my experience,
      developers new to TDD might be tempted to write very exhaustive tests
      that test the concrete rather than the abstract. For example, say you
      have a class that generates a list of 30 elements, whatever they might
      be. Rather than testing HOW those 30 elements are generated, the test
      cases might instead test those EXACT 30 elements, and may delve into
      insanity of testing every possible combination.

      Although real world examples are a bit less extreme than that, it
      does happen and the result is developers may find themselves
      constantly fixing extensive legacy tests that break on text or data
      changes. Time spent fixing those kinds of tests (or rewriting them to
      express design rather than the concrete output) can definitely wreck
      havoc on an iteration or sprint.

      Thanks,
      James