An appreciation.

  • Adrian Howard
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 11, 2009
      I just realised that it's almost exactly ten years since I started
      looking at XP and agile - sometime in late August 1999.

      I'd just finished spending six months getting the design wrong in a
      really nasty analysis paralysis project. That, along with a personal
      goal of getting better at testing, led me to do some research on
      better ways of doing things. That research eventually led me to the c2
      wiki and reading about XP, Scrum and agile in general.

      Of course I thought it was all complete tosh - especially XP :-)

      However seemingly bright people kept yammering on about it so I
      eventually figured out that I was probably missing something. So I
      persevered.

      I think I started annoying people on this list 2003/04 time.

      ... time passed ...

      Today I had a bug report on a live site whose code base I hadn't
      touched in fourteen months. Checked it out. Added a failing test.
      Fixed the bug. Watched the test pass. Watched the other 1000 odd tests
      pass. Pushed the patch to review. Watched the tests pass. Pushed the
      fix live. Watched the tests pass. All with complete confidence. Job
      done. Stress free.

      All in a under an hour and a half.

      Ten years ago I could not have done that. I couldn't have even come
      close.

      Agile, XP and the rest have made software development fun again.
      Especially now I'm figuring out ways I can integrate stuff with my
      usability/ux side.

      Thank you. Especially those who have put up with my annoying questions
      over the years. I'm generally much happier job wise because of all
      this agile nonsense.

      (Of course I still need to get better - otherwise that bug I fixed
      today wouldn't have escaped to live in the first place :-)

      Thank you - once again.

      Adrian
      --
      http://quietstars.com - twitter.com/adrianh - delicious.com/adrianh
    • Olof Bjarnason
      Message 2 of 2 , Aug 11, 2009
        Thanks for sharing :)

        I'm only three years into my travel -- nice to catch a glimpse of the
        other side of the tunnel!

        (I'm already harvesting some of the TDD fruits -- but XP/Agile isn't
        part of my life yet)

        2009/8/11 Adrian Howard <adrianh@...>:

        > I just realised that it's almost exactly ten years since I started
        > looking at XP and agile - sometime in late August 1999.
        >
        > I'd just finished spending six months getting the design wrong in a
        > really nasty analysis paralysis project. That, along with a personal
        > goal of getting better at testing, led me to do some research on
        > better ways of doing things. That research eventually led me to the c2
        > wiki and reading about XP, Scrum and agile in general.
        >
        > Of course I thought it was all complete tosh - especially XP :-)
        >
        > However seemingly bright people kept yammering on about it so I
        > eventually figured out that I was probably missing something. So I
        > persevered.
        >
        > I think I started annoying people on this list 2003/04 time.
        >
        > ... time passed ...
        >
        > Today I had a bug report on a live site whose code base I hadn't
        > touched in fourteen months. Checked it out. Added a failing test.
        > Fixed the bug. Watched the test pass. Watched the other 1000 odd tests
        > pass. Pushed the patch to review. Watched the tests pass. Pushed the
        > fix live. Watched the tests pass. All with complete confidence. Job
        > done. Stress free.
        >
        > All in a under an hour and a half.
        >
        > Ten years ago I could not have done that. I couldn't have even come
        > close.
        >
        > Agile, XP and the rest have made software development fun again.
        > Especially now I'm figuring out ways I can integrate stuff with my
        > usability/ux side.
        >
        > Thank you. Especially those who have put up with my annoying questions
        > over the years. I'm generally much happier job wise because of all
        > this agile nonsense.
        >
        > (Of course I still need to get better - otherwise that bug I fixed
        > today wouldn't have escaped to live in the first place :-)
        >
        > Thank you - once again.
        >
        > Adrian
        > --
        > http://quietstars.com - twitter.com/adrianh - delicious.com/adrianh