Re: [XP] Re: iterations, continuous flow, kanban ...

  • George Dinwiddie
    Message 1 of 187 , Aug 3, 2009
      Ron Jeffries wrote:
      > Once they get to that point, I don't see much difference at all, for
      > that breadth of view, between an iterative process and a kanban
      > process with a planning cadence equal to the iterative team's
      > iteration size.
      >
      > Do you? Does anyone?

      LEAN PRIMER by Craig Larman and Bas Vodde
      (http://www.leanprimer.com/downloads/lean_primer.pdf) says:

      "One popular approach to improve cadence is timeboxing, a fixed—and
      usually short—cycle time of development work (such as a two-week
      timebox). Teams are expected to deliver or demonstrate something at the
      end of the fixed duration—ideally something small and well-done rather
      than large and partially done. The duration may not change, but the
      scope of work can vary to fit the timebox. Timeboxing is not a
      panacea for all knowledge-work problems, but it has advantages."

      - George

      Message 187 of 187 , Aug 10, 2009
        Hello, davenicolette. On Monday, August 10, 2009, at 7:52:58 PM,
        you wrote:

        >> Seems to me this is a quite valid thing to do, but that it's still
        >> managing scope.

        > That's fine. I don't want to get into a circular debate about
        > words. The key thing IMO is that we understand how to work with
        > that type of trade-off to the customer's benefit.

        Yep!

        www.xprogramming.com/blog
        Accroche toi a ton reve. --ELO