[XP] Re: iterations vs continuous flow and kanban ...

  • Karl Scotland
    Message 1 of 187 , Aug 2, 2009
      Hi Ron

      <ronjeffries@...> wrote:

      > We have talked before about how many examples of kanban look like
      > waterfall. That might be a contributor.

      Yes. And we always go on to talk about how a Kanban System visualises a
      value stream, rather than defines it, and how visualising that value
      stream helps the team improve it, and how improving the value stream
      might reduce the number of stages and help the team to a more
      collaborative, multi-skilled process.

      And we have talked before about how a Kanban System for Software
      Development is not simply trying to copy the manufacturing elements of
      the Toyota Production System, but bears more resemblance to the Toyota
      Product Development System, and is actually based on the underlying
      theories and science of flow.

      > And of course a good coach is always of value. But most of the world
      > seems to learn from books papers articles word of mouth. There's a
      > lesson in there, I suppose ...

      Yes. And there is virtually no literature about Kanban Systems for
      Software Development yet. Just some blogs at the moment. I'm not wanting
      to create too much noise on this list by trying to explain the Kanban
      approach. I hope that if people are open minded and want to learn, they
      will come to the kanbandev list to find out more (despite the reputation
      ;-). Happy to discuss the Kanban approach in relation to XP here though.

      Karl
      Message 187 of 187 , Aug 10, 2009
        Hello, davenicolette. On Monday, August 10, 2009, at 7:52:58 PM,
        you wrote:

        >> Seems to me this is a quite valid thing to do, but that it's still
        >> managing scope.

        > That's fine. I don't want to get into a circular debate about
        > words. The key thing IMO is that we understand how to work with
        > that type of trade-off to the customer's benefit.

        Yep!

        www.xprogramming.com/blog
        Accroche toi a ton reve. --ELO