[XP] Re: iterations vs continuous flow and kanban ...

  • Karl Scotland
    Message 1 of 187 , Aug 2, 2009
      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, "Jeff Grigg" <jeffgrigg@...>
      wrote:
      I think it's more like the end of a glacier -- where small and large
      chunks calve off into the ocean, varying with time of day, temperature,
      wind, tides and possibly many other factors.

      > Perhaps it's better to think of filling a UPS truck with boxes of
      random sizes -- with certain upper limits because we just won't accept
      boxes of excessive size or weight. But a truck's too big: Perhaps
      instead, we're filling a series of fixed size "release" boxes with
      products of varying (difficulty/cost) sizes, for regular release to our
      customer community. We could vary the box size, but this would be
      confusing and inconvenient for our business customers: Knowing when the
      N+1 release will happen also reduces the pressure to cram everything
      into release N, as has been discussed extensively elsewhere.

      Of we could put the boxes on a conveyor belt in priority order, with the
      highest value boxes first, and let the customer take them off one by one
      :-)

      Karl
      Message 187 of 187 , Aug 10, 2009
        Hello, davenicolette. On Monday, August 10, 2009, at 7:52:58 PM,
        you wrote:

        >> Seems to me this is a quite valid thing to do, but that it's still
        >> managing scope.

        > That's fine. I don't want to get into a circular debate about
        > words. The key thing IMO is that we understand how to work with
        > that type of trade-off to the customer's benefit.

        Yep!

        www.xprogramming.com/blog
        Accroche toi a ton reve. --ELO