Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: [good] [XP] Preparing XP for the big projects

Expand Messages
  • Adam Sroka
    Always an optimist. I love that. Whenever someone says to me, The way you described turned out to be sub-optimal. So I modified it. And then in the course of
    Message 1 of 30 , Jul 5, 2009
      Always an optimist. I love that.

      Whenever someone says to me, "The way you described turned out to be
      sub-optimal. So I modified it." And then in the course of discussion
      they say things that make me suspect it is possible that they hadn't
      fully understood or adopted my suggestions, I am concerned that the
      adaptations are not local optimizations but simply a substitution for
      missing skills/knowledge needed to do it the way that was suggested.

      If that is the case it is okay. However, we are also talking about
      academic research (And, as Steven pointed out PhD level research is
      supposed to be on the cutting edge - moving the state of knowledge
      forward.) I think that it is even more important in an academic
      context to fully grok a concept before you attempt to change it.

      I'm also a little weary of what direction "forward" is in this
      context. Creating something more RUP-like is not "forward" in my
      humble opinion. I worked for a guy who claimed to be doing a blend of
      Scrum and RUP, but what he was really doing was failing to understand
      Scrum at all and just doing an iterative sort of RUP (WIth daily
      meetings where we had to listen to him talk for half-an-hour.) That's
      fine, until you start selling it to others as some sort of "improved
      Scrum" when you've yet to actually try what Scrum suggests.

      On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 10:03 PM, kentb<kentb@...> wrote:
      >
      >
      > Dear Zaidoun,
      >
      > It sounds like you made a sensible local adaptation of XP for your
      > situation. That's what XPers do. The question of whether those adaptations
      > are more generally applicable is worth careful study. Please keep me
      > apprised of your progress.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Kent Beck
      > Three Rivers Institute
      >
      > _____
      >
      > From: extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com
      > [mailto:extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of zaidoun alzoabi
      > Sent: Friday, July 03, 2009 8:49 PM
      > To: extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com
      > Subject: Re: [good] [XP] Preparing XP for the big projects
      >
      > Dear all,
      > thanks for your reply
      >
      > your questions could be answered through reading this article
      > www.ieeexplore.ieee.org/iel5/4520396/4529902/04530347.pdf
      >
      > but for te time I will answer your main questions;
      >
      >
      > We have used XP in a big project that intended to computerize the tax
      > autority processes in Syria. The system is considered very complex due to
      > the many laws, regulations, decrees, and procedures used.
      > we had to modify the lifecycle of XP in order to deal with the complexity of
      > the system, this happened through adding a clear analysis phase before any
      > release, and breaking the system into smaller modules each taken by pair
      > developers.
      > in the analysis phase we used formal meeting sessions with tax experts and
      > managers and we used DFD and ERD to communicate with them.
      > These people did not have time to communicate with us on frequent basis and
      > in many cases they had conflicting ideas, this why we needed formal
      > communication with them.
      > pair development is different from pair programming as the pair here will
      > not only sit at the same computer and do the coding, our pair will do the
      > analysis for their module, desing the solution, integrate with the design of
      > other pairs modules and then do the coding
      > development=analysis+desing+programming+testing
      > the research goes beyond Boehm and Turner "balancing Agility with
      > Discipline" by saying how to do that in reality, and that too by focusing on
      > Nonake spiral knowledge sharing model SECI
      > best regards
      >
      > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      >
      > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      >
      >
    • kentb
      Dear Adam, I ve been working on a way to respond positively to your message below. I hope I have it. What I appreciate about the work Zaidoun is doing is that
      Message 2 of 30 , Jul 13, 2009
        Dear Adam,

        I've been working on a way to respond positively to your message below. I
        hope I have it.

        What I appreciate about the work Zaidoun is doing is that it takes XP into a
        context unlike the one in which XP was created (government development) and
        blends ideas from a familiar development style with what is new about XP. I
        trust that he and his colleagues will evolve from the style they have now
        based on their experiences, much as I hope to evolve my style.

        What I heard in the responses to his query was, "You haven't earned all the
        merit badges. Don't even bother talking to us until you have." I think
        responses of that form discourage new ideas and participants to XP.

        I wish the community here was more accepting and encouraging. I can't force
        that to happen so I do what I can to accept and encourage. I don't think
        that makes me an "optimist" (which it sounds like you mean as a pejorative,
        strangely enough), just someone who is curious about what the other 15
        million programmers on the planet are thinking about.

        Regards,

        Kent Beck
        Three Rivers Institute

        _____

        From: extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com
        [mailto:extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Adam Sroka
        Sent: Sunday, July 05, 2009 11:38 PM
        To: extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com
        Subject: Re: [good] [XP] Preparing XP for the big projects





        Always an optimist. I love that.

        Whenever someone says to me, "The way you described turned out to be
        sub-optimal. So I modified it." And then in the course of discussion
        they say things that make me suspect it is possible that they hadn't
        fully understood or adopted my suggestions, I am concerned that the
        adaptations are not local optimizations but simply a substitution for
        missing skills/knowledge needed to do it the way that was suggested.

        If that is the case it is okay. However, we are also talking about
        academic research (And, as Steven pointed out PhD level research is
        supposed to be on the cutting edge - moving the state of knowledge
        forward.) I think that it is even more important in an academic
        context to fully grok a concept before you attempt to change it.

        I'm also a little weary of what direction "forward" is in this
        context. Creating something more RUP-like is not "forward" in my
        humble opinion. I worked for a guy who claimed to be doing a blend of
        Scrum and RUP, but what he was really doing was failing to understand
        Scrum at all and just doing an iterative sort of RUP (WIth daily
        meetings where we had to listen to him talk for half-an-hour.) That's
        fine, until you start selling it to others as some sort of "improved
        Scrum" when you've yet to actually try what Scrum suggests.

        On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 10:03 PM, kentb<kentb@earthlink.
        <mailto:kentb%40earthlink.net> net> wrote:
        >
        >
        > Dear Zaidoun,
        >
        > It sounds like you made a sensible local adaptation of XP for your
        > situation. That's what XPers do. The question of whether those adaptations
        > are more generally applicable is worth careful study. Please keep me
        > apprised of your progress.
        >
        > Regards,
        >
        > Kent Beck
        > Three Rivers Institute
        >
        > _____
        >
        > From: extremeprogramming@ <mailto:extremeprogramming%40yahoogroups.com>
        yahoogroups.com
        > [mailto:extremeprogramming@ <mailto:extremeprogramming%40yahoogroups.com>
        yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of zaidoun alzoabi
        > Sent: Friday, July 03, 2009 8:49 PM
        > To: extremeprogramming@ <mailto:extremeprogramming%40yahoogroups.com>
        yahoogroups.com
        > Subject: Re: [good] [XP] Preparing XP for the big projects
        >
        > Dear all,
        > thanks for your reply
        >
        > your questions could be answered through reading this article
        > www.ieeexplore.ieee.org/iel5/4520396/4529902/04530347.pdf
        >
        > but for te time I will answer your main questions;
        >
        >
        > We have used XP in a big project that intended to computerize the tax
        > autority processes in Syria. The system is considered very complex due to
        > the many laws, regulations, decrees, and procedures used.
        > we had to modify the lifecycle of XP in order to deal with the complexity
        of
        > the system, this happened through adding a clear analysis phase before any
        > release, and breaking the system into smaller modules each taken by pair
        > developers.
        > in the analysis phase we used formal meeting sessions with tax experts and
        > managers and we used DFD and ERD to communicate with them.
        > These people did not have time to communicate with us on frequent basis
        and
        > in many cases they had conflicting ideas, this why we needed formal
        > communication with them.
        > pair development is different from pair programming as the pair here will
        > not only sit at the same computer and do the coding, our pair will do the
        > analysis for their module, desing the solution, integrate with the design
        of
        > other pairs modules and then do the coding
        > development=analysis+desing+programming+testing
        > the research goes beyond Boehm and Turner "balancing Agility with
        > Discipline" by saying how to do that in reality, and that too by focusing
        on
        > Nonake spiral knowledge sharing model SECI
        > best regards
        >
        > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        >
        > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
        >
        >





        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      • Adam Sroka
        ... I appreciate that. As I said, I don t see how what he is doing or purporting to have done moves our knowledge forward. But, if you do see that, then that
        Message 3 of 30 , Jul 13, 2009
          On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 11:09 AM, kentb<kentb@...> wrote:
          >
          >
          > Dear Adam,
          >
          > I've been working on a way to respond positively to your message below. I
          > hope I have it.
          >
          > What I appreciate about the work Zaidoun is doing is that it takes XP into a
          > context unlike the one in which XP was created (government development) and
          > blends ideas from a familiar development style with what is new about XP. I
          > trust that he and his colleagues will evolve from the style they have now
          > based on their experiences, much as I hope to evolve my style.
          >

          I appreciate that. As I said, I don't see how what he is doing or
          purporting to have done moves our knowledge "forward." But, if you do
          see that, then that is good. I don't know everything, and I won't
          begin to claim to know that what you are seeing isn't there. All I am
          saying is that I don't see it.

          > What I heard in the responses to his query was, "You haven't earned all the
          > merit badges. Don't even bother talking to us until you have." I think
          > responses of that form discourage new ideas and participants to XP.
          >

          Sort of... There are a lot of people out there who claim that what we
          do can't or doesn't work. Very few of them seem to have completely
          understood or attempted what we have actually described. Further, many
          of us, myself included, have witnessed situations where these things
          didn't work and it was clearly attributable to a lack of skill or
          understanding. Perhaps some of us are too quick to conclude that
          someone who sees our approach as incomplete hasn't really had a
          thorough look.

          > I wish the community here was more accepting and encouraging. I can't force
          > that to happen so I do what I can to accept and encourage. I don't think
          > that makes me an "optimist" (which it sounds like you mean as a pejorative,
          > strangely enough), just someone who is curious about what the other 15
          > million programmers on the planet are thinking about.
          >

          I did not intend it as a pejorative. I meant precisely what I said
          above: that you are able to see positive things where I have failed to
          see any.
        • Tim Ottinger
          ... Adam, As people who pride themselves on quick thinking and quick learning, we tend to jump to ha and ri without much shu . I mostly worry about
          Message 4 of 30 , Jul 14, 2009
            ----- Original Message ----
            > From: Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...>
            >
            > Whenever someone says to me, "The way you described turned out to be
            > sub-optimal. So I modified it." And then in the course of discussion
            > they say things that make me suspect it is possible that they hadn't
            > fully understood or adopted my suggestions, I am concerned that the
            > adaptations are not local optimizations but simply a substitution for
            > missing skills/knowledge needed to do it the way that was suggested.
            >

            Adam,

            As people who pride themselves on quick thinking and quick learning, we tend to jump to 'ha' and 'ri' without much 'shu'. I mostly worry about people who want to "improve" XP by making it into waterfall or undisciplined nonsense. But they have a right. Who knows? Perhaps they are as smart as they think, and will give us something we never had before.

            The good thing about freedom is that anything can happen. The bad thing about freedom is the same. :-)

            Tim Ottinger
            http://agileinaflash.blogspot.com/
            http://agileotter.blogspot.com/
          • Adam Sroka
            ... Perhaps you are right. On the other hand, I don t feel terribly guilty about thinking the former in absence of any evidence of the latter. I also don t
            Message 5 of 30 , Jul 14, 2009
              On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 9:35 AM, Tim Ottinger<linux_tim@...> wrote:
              >
              >
              >
              > ----- Original Message ----
              >> From: Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...>
              >>
              >> Whenever someone says to me, "The way you described turned out to be
              >> sub-optimal. So I modified it." And then in the course of discussion
              >> they say things that make me suspect it is possible that they hadn't
              >> fully understood or adopted my suggestions, I am concerned that the
              >> adaptations are not local optimizations but simply a substitution for
              >> missing skills/knowledge needed to do it the way that was suggested.
              >>
              >
              > Adam,
              >
              > As people who pride themselves on quick thinking and quick learning, we tend
              > to jump to 'ha' and 'ri' without much 'shu'. I mostly worry about people who
              > want to "improve" XP by making it into waterfall or undisciplined nonsense.
              > But they have a right. Who knows? Perhaps they are as smart as they think,
              > and will give us something we never had before.
              >

              Perhaps you are right. On the other hand, I don't feel terribly guilty
              about thinking the former in absence of any evidence of the latter. I
              also don't feel particularly guilty when someone says, "look what I
              did," and I ask them, "how/why is that better?"

              > The good thing about freedom is that anything can happen. The bad thing
              > about freedom is the same. :-)
              >

              I absolutely think that people have the right to do whatever they
              want. I also think that we have the right to challenge them.
              Particularly, when they come to us asking for validation (or at least
              acknowledgment) of what they have changed.
            • Steven Gordon
              ... Especially when they call it research and/or hold it up as an exemplar.
              Message 6 of 30 , Jul 14, 2009
                On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 8:13 AM, Adam Sroka<adam.sroka@...> wrote:
                >
                >
                > On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 9:35 AM, Tim Ottinger<linux_tim@...> wrote:
                >>
                >>
                >>
                >> ----- Original Message ----
                >>> From: Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...>
                >>>
                >>> Whenever someone says to me, "The way you described turned out to be
                >>> sub-optimal. So I modified it." And then in the course of discussion
                >>> they say things that make me suspect it is possible that they hadn't
                >>> fully understood or adopted my suggestions, I am concerned that the
                >>> adaptations are not local optimizations but simply a substitution for
                >>> missing skills/knowledge needed to do it the way that was suggested.
                >>>
                >>
                >> Adam,
                >>
                >> As people who pride themselves on quick thinking and quick learning, we
                >> tend
                >> to jump to 'ha' and 'ri' without much 'shu'. I mostly worry about people
                >> who
                >> want to "improve" XP by making it into waterfall or undisciplined
                >> nonsense.
                >> But they have a right. Who knows? Perhaps they are as smart as they think,
                >> and will give us something we never had before.
                >>
                >
                > Perhaps you are right. On the other hand, I don't feel terribly guilty
                > about thinking the former in absence of any evidence of the latter. I
                > also don't feel particularly guilty when someone says, "look what I
                > did," and I ask them, "how/why is that better?"
                >
                >> The good thing about freedom is that anything can happen. The bad thing
                >> about freedom is the same. :-)
                >>
                >
                > I absolutely think that people have the right to do whatever they
                > want. I also think that we have the right to challenge them.
                > Particularly, when they come to us asking for validation (or at least
                > acknowledgment) of what they have changed.

                Especially when they call it research and/or hold it up as an exemplar.
              • Chris Wheeler
                ... I got the impression that the original poster was presenting a hypothesis, formed from his experiences, which he hadn t tested but wanted to further
                Message 7 of 30 , Jul 14, 2009
                  On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:

                  > I absolutely think that people have the right to do whatever they
                  > want. I also think that we have the right to challenge them.
                  > Particularly, when they come to us asking for validation (or at least
                  > acknowledgment) of what they have changed.
                  >

                  I got the impression that the original poster was presenting a hypothesis,
                  formed from his experiences, which he hadn't tested but wanted to further
                  research. I didn't get the impression that his email was the end of his
                  research nor the basis of any proof.

                  Seems like a sound way to proceed, no?

                  Chris.


                  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                • Steven Gordon
                  On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Chris ... That would depend on what the OP means by the word is . My reading is that the research is well under way, if not
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jul 14, 2009
                    On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Chris
                    Wheeler<christopher.wheeler@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >
                    > On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:
                    >
                    >> I absolutely think that people have the right to do whatever they
                    >> want. I also think that we have the right to challenge them.
                    >> Particularly, when they come to us asking for validation (or at least
                    >> acknowledgment) of what they have changed.
                    >>
                    >
                    > I got the impression that the original poster was presenting a hypothesis,
                    > formed from his experiences, which he hadn't tested but wanted to further
                    > research. I didn't get the impression that his email was the end of his
                    > research nor the basis of any proof.
                    >
                    > Seems like a sound way to proceed, no?
                    >

                    That would depend on what the OP means by the word "is".

                    My reading is that the research is well under way, if not already done
                    and currently being written up.

                    I find it a huge stretch to read the OP's original post as a mere
                    research proposal. Can you really read it that way?

                    > Chris.
                    >
                  • Tim Ottinger
                    ... It would only be the exemplar thing that bothers me in the least. But I was convinced of a lot of things when I first read of XP, too. Tim Ottinger
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jul 14, 2009
                      > Especially when they call it research and/or hold it up as an exemplar.

                      It would only be the exemplar thing that bothers me in the least.
                      But I was convinced of a lot of things when I first read of XP, too.

                      Tim Ottinger
                      http://agileinaflash.blogspot.com/
                      http://agileotter.blogspot.com/
                    • Chris Wheeler
                      ... Yes I can read it that way, once I factored in the OP s English-as-a-second-language. Chris. [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jul 14, 2009
                        On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 2:50 PM, Steven Gordon <sgordonphd@...> wrote:

                        >
                        > I find it a huge stretch to read the OP's original post as a mere
                        > research proposal. Can you really read it that way?


                        Yes I can read it that way, once I factored in the OP's
                        English-as-a-second-language.

                        Chris.


                        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                      • zdnfa
                        Dear all, Thanks for your comments on the topic, but I was a bit surprised at the extremism I saw about XP, something I don t think Kent Beck really meant by
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jul 14, 2009
                          Dear all,

                          Thanks for your comments on the topic, but I was a bit surprised at the extremism I saw about XP, something I don't think Kent Beck really meant by EXTREME PROGRAMMING.
                          I find it compulsory to develop XP if we are really XPers, and here I want to expose what some of what we have found in a survey we conducted in IADIS Informatics 2009 conference in Portugal.
                          1. 95.5 of the surveyed IT experts (taught, practiced, or at least have good knowledge of XP) say knowledge sharing enhances software quality.
                          2. More than 80% said that we need both explicit and tacit knowledge sharing.
                          3. 68% said that an analysis phase will enhance explicit and tacit knowledge sharing in XP.
                          So the modification we made is seen in the following figure:


                          And we emphasized principles like:
                          • Use always balanced pairs. Try to make the pair look like pair developers rather than pair programmers.
                          • Use rationalized documentation that keeps project within the control of the project manager or coach.
                          • Perform one analysis phase per one release. This eases the job of the on-site-customer
                          Is there any problem in that?!!!
                        • Ron Jeffries
                          Hello, zdnfa. On Tuesday, July 14, 2009, at 10:48:03 PM, you ... Yes. It is surely possible to be successful using the approach you ve talked about: it s
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jul 14, 2009
                            Hello, zdnfa. On Tuesday, July 14, 2009, at 10:48:03 PM, you
                            wrote:

                            > Is there any problem in that?!!!

                            Yes. It is surely possible to be successful using the approach
                            you've talked about: it's possible to be successful with almost any
                            approach.

                            What is your plan for comparing your approach to other more
                            "classic" approaches, such as a more pure version of XP, or a more
                            pure version of waterfall, and so on?

                            Or, without such comparisons, what valid conclusions do you think
                            you might be able to draw?

                            Ron Jeffries
                            www.XProgramming.com
                            www.xprogramming.com/blog
                            It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare,
                            it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. --Seneca
                          • Steven Gordon
                            ... agreed. ... agreed. ... Agile does away with phases by rotating the traditional process 90 degrees. Instead of doing phases in order such as these: -
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jul 14, 2009
                              On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 7:48 PM, zdnfa<zdnfa@...> wrote:
                              >
                              >
                              >
                              > Dear all,
                              >
                              > Thanks for your comments on the topic, but I was a bit surprised at the
                              > extremism I saw about XP, something I don't think Kent Beck really meant by
                              > EXTREME PROGRAMMING.
                              > I find it compulsory to develop XP if we are really XPers, and here I want
                              > to expose what some of what we have found in a survey we conducted in IADIS
                              > Informatics 2009 conference in Portugal.
                              > 1. 95.5 of the surveyed IT experts (taught, practiced, or at least have good
                              > knowledge of XP) say knowledge sharing enhances software quality.

                              agreed.
                              > 2. More than 80% said that we need both explicit and tacit knowledge
                              > sharing.

                              agreed.
                              > 3. 68% said that an analysis phase will enhance explicit and tacit knowledge
                              > sharing in XP.

                              Agile does away with phases by rotating the traditional process 90 degrees.

                              Instead of doing phases in order such as these:
                              - domain modeling for the whole system,
                              - analysis for the whole system,
                              - design for the whole system,
                              - coding for the whole system,
                              - testing for the whole system,
                              - deployment for the whole system,
                              - getting feedback from the users on the whole system,
                              agile does all of the above for just a few thin functional slices of
                              the whole system in just 2 weeks, and then all of the above for a few
                              more functional slices the next two weeks, etc, always delivering
                              working software, learning from successes and failures, and applying
                              that learning to the next 2 week iteration.

                              > So the modification we made is seen in the following figure:
                              >
                              > And we emphasized principles like:
                              > • Use always balanced pairs. Try to make the pair look like pair developers
                              > rather than pair programmers.
                              > • Use rationalized documentation that keeps project within the control of
                              > the project manager or coach.

                              The people doing the work keep it under control because they cannot go
                              too far wrong in 2 weeks and get feedback from each delivery of
                              working software. The overhead and misunderstandings of communication
                              via documentation is avoided.

                              > • Perform one analysis phase per one release. This eases the job of the
                              > on-site-customer

                              Too long to wait for feedback and recover from mistakes and misunderstandings.

                              > Is there any problem in that?!!!
                              >
                            • Adam Sroka
                              ... That s dangerously close to an ad hominem. No one here has said anything that extreme thus far. ... It s rare that 95.5% of people agree on anything. The
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jul 17, 2009
                                On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 10:48 PM, zdnfa<zdnfa@...> wrote:
                                >
                                >
                                >
                                > Dear all,
                                >
                                > Thanks for your comments on the topic, but I was a bit surprised at the
                                > extremism I saw about XP, something I don't think Kent Beck really meant by
                                > EXTREME PROGRAMMING.

                                That's dangerously close to an ad hominem. No one here has said
                                anything that extreme thus far.

                                > I find it compulsory to develop XP if we are really XPers, and here I want
                                > to expose what some of what we have found in a survey we conducted in IADIS
                                > Informatics 2009 conference in Portugal.
                                > 1. 95.5 of the surveyed IT experts (taught, practiced, or at least have good
                                > knowledge of XP) say knowledge sharing enhances software quality.

                                It's rare that 95.5% of people agree on anything. The term "knowledge
                                sharing" without further elucidation is vacuous. Those who promote
                                document-centric methods would consider what they are doing "knowledge
                                sharing" and believe that it "enhances quality." Most Agile proponents
                                believe the same thing about their own notion of "knowledge sharing."
                                Neither group necessarily believes that the other's method of
                                "knowledge sharing" is effective.

                                > 2. More than 80% said that we need both explicit and tacit knowledge
                                > sharing.

                                That agrees with a basic tenet of Agile. Tacit knowledge, by
                                definition, can't be shared in a document-centric way. We believe that
                                document-centric approaches are flawed and direct interpersonal
                                communication is necessary. The above statistic supports that.
                                However, explicit knowledge can be shared verbally as well as written
                                down. So, the need for explicit knowledge does not necessitate a
                                document-centric approach.

                                > 3. 68% said that an analysis phase will enhance explicit and tacit knowledge
                                > sharing in XP.

                                I can't address that. If the question were posed to me I would refuse
                                to answer until I had sufficient definitions of "analysis phase" and
                                "knowledge sharing in XP". Assuming I knew what was being suggested, I
                                would have to try it alongside the existing practices to know if it
                                added anything or took anything away.

                                > So the modification we made is seen in the following figure:
                                >
                                > And we emphasized principles like:
                                > • Use always balanced pairs. Try to make the pair look like pair developers
                                > rather than pair programmers.

                                I don't understand that. What is the difference between a "programmer"
                                and a "developer" in your estimation? How does one "balance" a pair?
                                Can I still work with someone who is substantially lighter or heavier
                                than I am? ;-)

                                > • Use rationalized documentation that keeps project within the control of
                                > the project manager or coach.

                                This statement scares me a lot. Project managers don't "control"
                                anything, nor should they try. That goes at least double for coaches.
                                In my experience, unless documentation provides some direct business
                                value it is usually wasteful. Even when it does provide value,
                                maintaining it is more expensive than most realize.

                                > • Perform one analysis phase per one release. This eases the job of the
                                > on-site-customer

                                How does this ease the job for the Customer? Is the Customer's job too hard now?
                              • Chris Wheeler
                                Adam, you appear quite passionate about research and XP. Since this research clearly isn t up to your standard, or even necessary, would you suggest a few
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jul 18, 2009
                                  Adam, you appear quite passionate about research and XP. Since this research
                                  clearly isn't up to your standard, or even necessary, would you suggest a
                                  few topics that may be worthy of further academic research? That may be
                                  more helpful than this dismissive approach you are taking.

                                  Chris.

                                  On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 10:56 PM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:

                                  > On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 10:48 PM, zdnfa<zdnfa@...> wrote:
                                  > >
                                  > >
                                  > >
                                  > > Dear all,
                                  > >
                                  > > Thanks for your comments on the topic, but I was a bit surprised at the
                                  > > extremism I saw about XP, something I don't think Kent Beck really meant
                                  > by
                                  > > EXTREME PROGRAMMING.
                                  >
                                  > That's dangerously close to an ad hominem. No one here has said
                                  > anything that extreme thus far.
                                  >
                                  > > I find it compulsory to develop XP if we are really XPers, and here I
                                  > want
                                  > > to expose what some of what we have found in a survey we conducted in
                                  > IADIS
                                  > > Informatics 2009 conference in Portugal.
                                  > > 1. 95.5 of the surveyed IT experts (taught, practiced, or at least have
                                  > good
                                  > > knowledge of XP) say knowledge sharing enhances software quality.
                                  >
                                  > It's rare that 95.5% of people agree on anything. The term "knowledge
                                  > sharing" without further elucidation is vacuous. Those who promote
                                  > document-centric methods would consider what they are doing "knowledge
                                  > sharing" and believe that it "enhances quality." Most Agile proponents
                                  > believe the same thing about their own notion of "knowledge sharing."
                                  > Neither group necessarily believes that the other's method of
                                  > "knowledge sharing" is effective.
                                  >
                                  > > 2. More than 80% said that we need both explicit and tacit knowledge
                                  > > sharing.
                                  >
                                  > That agrees with a basic tenet of Agile. Tacit knowledge, by
                                  > definition, can't be shared in a document-centric way. We believe that
                                  > document-centric approaches are flawed and direct interpersonal
                                  > communication is necessary. The above statistic supports that.
                                  > However, explicit knowledge can be shared verbally as well as written
                                  > down. So, the need for explicit knowledge does not necessitate a
                                  > document-centric approach.
                                  >
                                  > > 3. 68% said that an analysis phase will enhance explicit and tacit
                                  > knowledge
                                  > > sharing in XP.
                                  >
                                  > I can't address that. If the question were posed to me I would refuse
                                  > to answer until I had sufficient definitions of "analysis phase" and
                                  > "knowledge sharing in XP". Assuming I knew what was being suggested, I
                                  > would have to try it alongside the existing practices to know if it
                                  > added anything or took anything away.
                                  >
                                  > > So the modification we made is seen in the following figure:
                                  > >
                                  > > And we emphasized principles like:
                                  > > � Use always balanced pairs. Try to make the pair look like pair
                                  > developers
                                  > > rather than pair programmers.
                                  >
                                  > I don't understand that. What is the difference between a "programmer"
                                  > and a "developer" in your estimation? How does one "balance" a pair?
                                  > Can I still work with someone who is substantially lighter or heavier
                                  > than I am? ;-)
                                  >
                                  > > � Use rationalized documentation that keeps project within the control of
                                  > > the project manager or coach.
                                  >
                                  > This statement scares me a lot. Project managers don't "control"
                                  > anything, nor should they try. That goes at least double for coaches.
                                  > In my experience, unless documentation provides some direct business
                                  > value it is usually wasteful. Even when it does provide value,
                                  > maintaining it is more expensive than most realize.
                                  >
                                  > > � Perform one analysis phase per one release. This eases the job of the
                                  > > on-site-customer
                                  >
                                  > How does this ease the job for the Customer? Is the Customer's job too hard
                                  > now?
                                  >
                                  >
                                  > ------------------------------------
                                  >
                                  > To Post a message, send it to: extremeprogramming@...
                                  >
                                  > To Unsubscribe, send a blank message to:
                                  > extremeprogramming-unsubscribe@...
                                  >
                                  > ad-free courtesy of objectmentor.comYahoo! Groups Links
                                  >
                                  >
                                  >
                                  >


                                  [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                                Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.