Re: Preparing XP for the big projects

  • Phlip
    Message 1 of 30 , Jul 5 3:30 PM
      zdnfa wrote:

      > the idea is that Kent Beck says that XP works fine for projects of 10 to 20 programmers, but not for the big ones.

      How about you locate the 10 biggest, most successful projects you can, and then
      study what they actually did? Not what ideology they worshiped!

      > 1. XP focuses on tacit knowledge sharing but on explicit, we need to increse our focus on explicit knowledge by increasing the amount of documentation but rationally.

      Look at online repositories like GitHub. They share a huge amount of data, all
      of them implicitly, with minimal documentation. This does not always work
      perfectly - like anything in Open Source land - but when it does the results are
      amazing.

      > 2. if we add an analysis phase per iteration we increase the amount of explicit knowledge sharing with customers.

      Why would spending a period of time guessing what the technical architecture
      will be improve the knowledge sharing on the business side? Seems to me that
      standardizing the storytests, like Cucumber does, would be more useful.

      > 3. we introduce the concept of pair development over instead of pair programming, that is instead of doing the programming in pairs, we do the analysis, design, and coding in pairs.

      The problem with that is pair programming without TDD and emergent design is
      very painful. This is why most knowledge-work always was - and still is - from a
      desk built for one.

      Imagine, for example, pair Googling. One pair want to click on one citation,
      while another pair wants to click on another. The friction simply is not worth
      the slight benefit in synergy. The pair might as well Google for overlapping
      topics, from two workstations, and then merge their findings!

      > can i hear from you your point of view on these points.

      Please do not go here:

      http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?BigAgileUpFront

      --
      Phlip
      http://twitter.com/Pen_Bird
      Message 2 of 30 , Jul 5 10:03 PM
        Dear Zaidoun,

        It sounds like you made a sensible local adaptation of XP for your
        situation. That's what XPers do. The question of whether those adaptations
        are more generally applicable is worth careful study. Please keep me
        apprised of your progress.

        Regards,

        Kent Beck
        Three Rivers Institute

        _____

        Message 3 of 30 , Jul 5 11:38 PM
          Always an optimist. I love that.

          Whenever someone says to me, "The way you described turned out to be
          sub-optimal. So I modified it." And then in the course of discussion
          they say things that make me suspect it is possible that they hadn't
          fully understood or adopted my suggestions, I am concerned that the
          adaptations are not local optimizations but simply a substitution for
          missing skills/knowledge needed to do it the way that was suggested.

          If that is the case it is okay. However, we are also talking about
          academic research (And, as Steven pointed out PhD level research is
          supposed to be on the cutting edge - moving the state of knowledge
          forward.) I think that it is even more important in an academic
          context to fully grok a concept before you attempt to change it.

          I'm also a little weary of what direction "forward" is in this
          context. Creating something more RUP-like is not "forward" in my
          humble opinion. I worked for a guy who claimed to be doing a blend of
          Scrum and RUP, but what he was really doing was failing to understand
          Scrum at all and just doing an iterative sort of RUP (WIth daily
          meetings where we had to listen to him talk for half-an-hour.) That's
          fine, until you start selling it to others as some sort of "improved
          Scrum" when you've yet to actually try what Scrum suggests.

          On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 10:03 PM, kentb<kentb@...> wrote:

          > Dear Zaidoun,
          >
          > It sounds like you made a sensible local adaptation of XP for your
          > situation. That's what XPers do. The question of whether those adaptations
          > are more generally applicable is worth careful study. Please keep me
          > apprised of your progress.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Kent Beck
          > Three Rivers Institute
          >
          > _____

        • kentb
          Message 4 of 30 , Jul 13 8:09 AM
            Dear Adam,

            I've been working on a way to respond positively to your message below. I
            hope I have it.

            What I appreciate about the work Zaidoun is doing is that it takes XP into a
            context unlike the one in which XP was created (government development) and
            blends ideas from a familiar development style with what is new about XP. I
            trust that he and his colleagues will evolve from the style they have now
            based on their experiences, much as I hope to evolve my style.

            What I heard in the responses to his query was, "You haven't earned all the
            merit badges. Don't even bother talking to us until you have." I think

            I wish the community here was more accepting and encouraging. I can't force
            that to happen so I do what I can to accept and encourage. I don't think
            that makes me an "optimist" (which it sounds like you mean as a pejorative,
            strangely enough), just someone who is curious about what the other 15
            million programmers on the planet are thinking about.

            Regards,

            Kent Beck
            Three Rivers Institute

            _____

            On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 10:03 PM, kentb<kentb@earthlink.
            <mailto:kentb%40earthlink.net> net> wrote:

            > Dear Zaidoun,
            >
            > It sounds like you made a sensible local adaptation of XP for your
            > situation. That's what XPers do. The question of whether those adaptations
            > are more generally applicable is worth careful study. Please keep me
            > apprised of your progress.
            >
            > Regards,
            >
            > Kent Beck
            > Three Rivers Institute
            >
            > _____
            >
            > From: extremeprogramming@ <mailto:extremeprogramming%40yahoogroups.com>
            yahoogroups.com

          • Adam Sroka
            Message 5 of 30 , Jul 13 8:46 AM
              On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 11:09 AM, kentb<kentb@...> wrote:

              > Dear Adam,
              >
              > I've been working on a way to respond positively to your message below. I
              > hope I have it.
              >
              > What I appreciate about the work Zaidoun is doing is that it takes XP into a
              > context unlike the one in which XP was created (government development) and
              > blends ideas from a familiar development style with what is new about XP. I
              > trust that he and his colleagues will evolve from the style they have now
              > based on their experiences, much as I hope to evolve my style.

              I appreciate that. As I said, I don't see how what he is doing or
              purporting to have done moves our knowledge "forward." But, if you do
              see that, then that is good. I don't know everything, and I won't
              begin to claim to know that what you are seeing isn't there. All I am
              saying is that I don't see it.

              > What I heard in the responses to his query was, "You haven't earned all the
              > merit badges. Don't even bother talking to us until you have." I think

              Sort of... There are a lot of people out there who claim that what we
              do can't or doesn't work. Very few of them seem to have completely
              understood or attempted what we have actually described. Further, many
              of us, myself included, have witnessed situations where these things
              didn't work and it was clearly attributable to a lack of skill or
              understanding. Perhaps some of us are too quick to conclude that
              someone who sees our approach as incomplete hasn't really had a
              thorough look.

              > I wish the community here was more accepting and encouraging. I can't force
              > that to happen so I do what I can to accept and encourage. I don't think
              > that makes me an "optimist" (which it sounds like you mean as a pejorative,
              > strangely enough), just someone who is curious about what the other 15
              > million programmers on the planet are thinking about.

              I did not intend it as a pejorative. I meant precisely what I said
              above: that you are able to see positive things where I have failed to
              see any.
            • Tim Ottinger
              Message 6 of 30 , Jul 14 6:35 AM
                > Whenever someone says to me, "The way you described turned out to be
                > sub-optimal. So I modified it." And then in the course of discussion
                > they say things that make me suspect it is possible that they hadn't
                > fully understood or adopted my suggestions, I am concerned that the
                > adaptations are not local optimizations but simply a substitution for
                > missing skills/knowledge needed to do it the way that was suggested.

                Adam,

                As people who pride themselves on quick thinking and quick learning, we tend to jump to 'ha' and 'ri' without much 'shu'. I mostly worry about people who want to "improve" XP by making it into waterfall or undisciplined nonsense. But they have a right. Who knows? Perhaps they are as smart as they think, and will give us something we never had before.

                The good thing about freedom is that anything can happen. The bad thing about freedom is the same. :-)

                Tim Ottinger
                http://agileinaflash.blogspot.com/
                http://agileotter.blogspot.com/
              • Adam Sroka
                Message 7 of 30 , Jul 14 8:13 AM
                  On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 9:35 AM, Tim Ottinger<linux_tim@...> wrote:

> [...]

                  Perhaps you are right. On the other hand, I don't feel terribly guilty
                  about thinking the former in absence of any evidence of the latter. I
                  also don't feel particularly guilty when someone says, "look what I
                  did," and I ask them, "how/why is that better?"

                  > The good thing about freedom is that anything can happen. The bad thing
                  > about freedom is the same. :-)

                  I absolutely think that people have the right to do whatever they
                  want. I also think that we have the right to challenge them.
                  Particularly, when they come to us asking for validation (or at least
                  acknowledgment) of what they have changed.
                • Steven Gordon
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jul 14 8:27 AM
                    On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 8:13 AM, Adam Sroka<adam.sroka@...> wrote:

                    > On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 9:35 AM, Tim Ottinger<linux_tim@...> wrote:

                    Especially when they call it research and/or hold it up as an exemplar.
                  • Chris Wheeler
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jul 14 10:52 AM
                      On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:

                      > I absolutely think that people have the right to do whatever they
                      > want. I also think that we have the right to challenge them.
                      > Particularly, when they come to us asking for validation (or at least
                      > acknowledgment) of what they have changed.

                      I got the impression that the original poster was presenting a hypothesis,
                      formed from his experiences, which he hadn't tested but wanted to further
                      research. I didn't get the impression that his email was the end of his
                      research nor the basis of any proof.

                      Seems like a sound way to proceed, no?

                      Chris.

                    • Steven Gordon
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jul 14 11:50 AM
                        On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Chris
                        Wheeler<christopher.wheeler@...> wrote:

                        > On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:
                        >
                        >> I absolutely think that people have the right to do whatever they
                        >> want. I also think that we have the right to challenge them.
                        >> Particularly, when they come to us asking for validation (or at least
                        >> acknowledgment) of what they have changed.
                        >>

                        > I got the impression that the original poster was presenting a hypothesis,
                        > formed from his experiences, which he hadn't tested but wanted to further
                        > research. I didn't get the impression that his email was the end of his
                        > research nor the basis of any proof.
                        >
                        > Seems like a sound way to proceed, no?

                        That would depend on what the OP means by the word "is".

                        My reading is that the research is well under way, if not already done
                        and currently being written up.

                        I find it a huge stretch to read the OP's original post as a mere
                        research proposal. Can you really read it that way?

                        > Chris.

                      • Tim Ottinger
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jul 14 12:38 PM
                          > Especially when they call it research and/or hold it up as an exemplar.

                          It would only be the exemplar thing that bothers me in the least.
                          But I was convinced of a lot of things when I first read of XP, too.

                          Message 12 of 30 , Jul 14 6:44 PM
                            On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 2:50 PM, Steven Gordon <sgordonphd@...> wrote:

                            > I find it a huge stretch to read the OP's original post as a mere
                            > research proposal. Can you really read it that way?

                            Yes I can read it that way, once I factored in the OP's
                            English-as-a-second-language.

                            Chris.

                          • zdnfa
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jul 14 7:48 PM
                              Dear all,

                              Thanks for your comments on the topic, but I was a bit surprised at the extremism I saw about XP, something I don't think Kent Beck really meant by EXTREME PROGRAMMING.
                              I find it compulsory to develop XP if we are really XPers, and here I want to expose what some of what we have found in a survey we conducted in IADIS Informatics 2009 conference in Portugal.
                              1. 95.5 of the surveyed IT experts (taught, practiced, or at least have good knowledge of XP) say knowledge sharing enhances software quality.
                              2. More than 80% said that we need both explicit and tacit knowledge sharing.
                              3. 68% said that an analysis phase will enhance explicit and tacit knowledge sharing in XP.
                              So the modification we made is seen in the following figure:

                              And we emphasized principles like:
                              • Use always balanced pairs. Try to make the pair look like pair developers rather than pair programmers.
                              • Use rationalized documentation that keeps project within the control of the project manager or coach.
                              • Perform one analysis phase per one release. This eases the job of the on-site-customer
                              Is there any problem in that?!!!
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jul 14 8:37 PM
                                Hello, zdnfa. On Tuesday, July 14, 2009, at 10:48:03 PM, you
                                wrote:

                                > Is there any problem in that?!!!

                                Yes. It is surely possible to be successful using the approach
                                you've talked about: it's possible to be successful with almost any
                                approach.

                                What is your plan for comparing your approach to other more
                                "classic" approaches, such as a more pure version of XP, or a more
                                pure version of waterfall, and so on?

                                Or, without such comparisons, what valid conclusions do you think
                                you might be able to draw?

                                www.xprogramming.com/blog
                                it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. --Seneca
                              • Steven Gordon
                                Message 15 of 30 , Jul 14 8:40 PM
                                  On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 7:48 PM, zdnfa<zdnfa@...> wrote:

                                  > Dear all,
                                  >
                                  > Thanks for your comments on the topic, but I was a bit surprised at the
                                  > extremism I saw about XP, something I don't think Kent Beck really meant by
                                  > EXTREME PROGRAMMING.
                                  > I find it compulsory to develop XP if we are really XPers, and here I want
                                  > to expose what some of what we have found in a survey we conducted in IADIS
                                  > Informatics 2009 conference in Portugal.
                                  > 1. 95.5 of the surveyed IT experts (taught, practiced, or at least have good
                                  > knowledge of XP) say knowledge sharing enhances software quality.

                                  agreed.
                                  > 2. More than 80% said that we need both explicit and tacit knowledge
                                  > sharing.

                                  agreed.
                                  > 3. 68% said that an analysis phase will enhance explicit and tacit knowledge
                                  > sharing in XP.

                                  Agile does away with phases by rotating the traditional process 90 degrees.

                                  Instead of doing phases in order such as these:
                                  - domain modeling for the whole system,
                                  - analysis for the whole system,
                                  - design for the whole system,
                                  - coding for the whole system,
                                  - testing for the whole system,
                                  - deployment for the whole system,
                                  - getting feedback from the users on the whole system,
                                  agile does all of the above for just a few thin functional slices of
                                  the whole system in just 2 weeks, and then all of the above for a few
                                  more functional slices the next two weeks, etc, always delivering
                                  working software, learning from successes and failures, and applying
                                  that learning to the next 2 week iteration.

                                  > So the modification we made is seen in the following figure:
                                  >
                                  > And we emphasized principles like:
                                  > • Use always balanced pairs. Try to make the pair look like pair developers
                                  > rather than pair programmers.
                                  > • Use rationalized documentation that keeps project within the control of
                                  > the project manager or coach.

                                  The people doing the work keep it under control because they cannot go
                                  too far wrong in 2 weeks and get feedback from each delivery of
                                  working software. The overhead and misunderstandings of communication
                                  via documentation is avoided.

                                  > • Perform one analysis phase per one release. This eases the job of the
                                  > on-site-customer

                                  Too long to wait for feedback and recover from mistakes and misunderstandings.

                                  > Is there any problem in that?!!!

                                • Adam Sroka
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jul 17 7:56 PM
                                    On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 10:48 PM, zdnfa<zdnfa@...> wrote:

                                    > Dear all,
                                    >
                                    > Thanks for your comments on the topic, but I was a bit surprised at the
                                    > extremism I saw about XP, something I don't think Kent Beck really meant by
                                    > EXTREME PROGRAMMING.

                                    That's dangerously close to an ad hominem. No one here has said
                                    anything that extreme thus far.

                                    > I find it compulsory to develop XP if we are really XPers, and here I want
                                    > to expose what some of what we have found in a survey we conducted in IADIS
                                    > Informatics 2009 conference in Portugal.
                                    > 1. 95.5 of the surveyed IT experts (taught, practiced, or at least have good
                                    > knowledge of XP) say knowledge sharing enhances software quality.

                                    It's rare that 95.5% of people agree on anything. The term "knowledge
                                    sharing" without further elucidation is vacuous. Those who promote
                                    document-centric methods would consider what they are doing "knowledge
                                    sharing" and believe that it "enhances quality." Most Agile proponents
                                    believe the same thing about their own notion of "knowledge sharing."
                                    Neither group necessarily believes that the other's method of
                                    "knowledge sharing" is effective.

                                    > 2. More than 80% said that we need both explicit and tacit knowledge
                                    > sharing.

                                    That agrees with a basic tenet of Agile. Tacit knowledge, by
                                    definition, can't be shared in a document-centric way. We believe that
                                    document-centric approaches are flawed and direct interpersonal
                                    communication is necessary. The above statistic supports that.
                                    However, explicit knowledge can be shared verbally as well as written
                                    down. So, the need for explicit knowledge does not necessitate a
                                    document-centric approach.

                                    > 3. 68% said that an analysis phase will enhance explicit and tacit knowledge
                                    > sharing in XP.

                                    I can't address that. If the question were posed to me I would refuse
                                    to answer until I had sufficient definitions of "analysis phase" and
                                    "knowledge sharing in XP". Assuming I knew what was being suggested, I
                                    would have to try it alongside the existing practices to know if it
                                    added anything or took anything away.

                                    > So the modification we made is seen in the following figure:
                                    >
                                    > And we emphasized principles like:
                                    > • Use always balanced pairs. Try to make the pair look like pair developers
                                    > rather than pair programmers.

                                    I don't understand that. What is the difference between a "programmer"
                                    and a "developer" in your estimation? How does one "balance" a pair?
                                    Can I still work with someone who is substantially lighter or heavier
                                    than I am? ;-)

                                    > • Use rationalized documentation that keeps project within the control of
                                    > the project manager or coach.

                                    This statement scares me a lot. Project managers don't "control"
                                    anything, nor should they try. That goes at least double for coaches.
                                    In my experience, unless documentation provides some direct business
                                    value it is usually wasteful. Even when it does provide value,
                                    maintaining it is more expensive than most realize.

                                    > • Perform one analysis phase per one release. This eases the job of the
                                    > on-site-customer

                                    How does this ease the job for the Customer? Is the Customer's job too hard now?
                                  • Chris Wheeler
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jul 18 7:26 AM
                                      Adam, you appear quite passionate about research and XP. Since this research
                                      clearly isn't up to your standard, or even necessary, would you suggest a
                                      few topics that may be worthy of further academic research? That may be
                                      more helpful than this dismissive approach you are taking.

                                      Chris.