Re: [good] [XP] Preparing XP for the big projects

  • Chet Hendrickson
    Message 1 of 30 , Jul 3 6:49 AM
      Hello Zaidoun,

      When you say research, do you mean that you have found a statistically
      significant difference in the success rates of large teams that are
      doing the three practices you mention than those not?

      I would like to hear more about the analysis phase you mention as
      well. Do you mean a fixed period of time during which analysis for
      all stories planned for the iteration takes place? If so, I would
      argue that a team doing that will have drifted pretty far from my
      understanding of XP.

      chet

      --
      Best regards,
      Chet Hendrickson mailto:lists@...
      Message 2 of 30 , Jul 3 6:50 AM
        Hello, zaidoun.

        My biggest and first question is to understand the extent to which
        you and your colleagues have actually done XP as it exists.

        Some smaller items below:

        On Thursday, July 2, 2009, at 11:48:34 PM, you wrote:

        > our research is that some modifications on XP may well make it
        > fine with big ones. these modifications are as follows:

        > 1. XP focuses on tacit knowledge sharing but on explicit, we need
        > to increse our focus on explicit knowledge by increasing the
        > amount of documentation but rationally.

        So when you refer to "explicit knowledge", I take it you are
        referring not to things that people know, but to things that are
        written down?

        > 2. if we add an analysis phase per iteration we increase the
        > amount of explicit knowledge sharing with customers.

        How would that improve the knowledge situation compared to having
        the developers and customers actually communicating directly,
        writing down what they want to? (That is what already happens.)

        > 3. we introduce the concept of pair development over instead of
        > pair programming, that is instead of doing the programming in
        > pairs, we do the analysis, design, and coding in pairs.

        I think that programming = analysis+design+coding. Therefore I see
        no difference between what you are calling pair development and what
        we call pair programming. What am I missing?

        Regards,

        www.xprogramming.com/blog
        That's my opinion and I agree with it. -- Julio Santos
      • Steven Gordon
        Message 3 of 30 , Jul 3 6:53 AM
          PhD research should go beyond what has already been done. How would
          your research surpass Balancing Agility and Discipline By Barry W
          Boehm, Richard Turner?

          http://books.google.com/books?&id=MWhXwkHsS0gC&oi=fnd&pg=PR15&dq=%22Boehm%22+%22Balancing+agility+and+discipline:+A+guide+for+the+perplexed%22

          http://www.fsktm.upm.edu.my/~rodziah/sak5108/p44-beck.pdf

          How would you go about establishing that these changes actually
          improve the value and quality of software produced by large teams in
          practice?

          Steven Gordon, PhD

          On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 8:48 PM, zdnfa<zdnfa@...> wrote:

          > Dear all,
          >
          > i want to share with you the idea of my PhD. research
          >
          > the idea is that Kent Beck says that XP works fine for projects of 10 to 20
          > programmers, but not for the big ones.
          >
          > our research is that some modifications on XP may well make it fine with big
          > ones. these modifications are as follows:
          >
          > 1. XP focuses on tacit knowledge sharing but on explicit, we need to increse
          > our focus on explicit knowledge by increasing the amount of documentation
          > but rationally.
          >
          > 2. if we add an analysis phase per iteration we increase the amount of
          > explicit knowledge sharing with customers.
          >
          > 3. we introduce the concept of pair development over instead of pair
          > programming, that is instead of doing the programming in pairs, we do the
          > analysis, design, and coding in pairs.
          >
          > can i hear from you your point of view on these points.
          >
          > thanks
          >
          > zaidoun alzoabi

        • Tim Ottinger
          Message 4 of 30 , Jul 3 11:53 AM
            The reason for small teams is because communication breaks down as
            teams size up. In other words communication is maximized by
            intentionally keeping team size small. I'm not sure why you would want to size up the teams. It leaves me a little puzzled.

            I would love for you to show us a new balance of written and oral communication using old (paper, word, CASE) or new (blogs, wikis, mail, social nets) tech so well that we don't need small team size in order to maintain rich, full communication bandwidth and can still get immediate answers to our questions and concerns.

            If you have the right idea, then you will have made a contribution to the field. We will all have learned something useful. We might even suffer small degradations of individual pair productivity if they led to compensatory whole-team productivity. It's all cost/benefit, I guess, but you can be assured that all Pareto improvements are welcome.

            If your idea does not work (ie, a return to document management in place of development, wasteful phase-boundary ceremonies, higher overhead, decrease in running tested features per iteration) then you will have confirmed something that we believed all along.

            There is NO downside to you doing this work.

            Godspeed.

            Tim Ottinger
            http://agileinaflash.blogspot.com/
            http://agileotter.blogspot.com/
          • Steven Gordon
            Message 5 of 30 , Jul 3 1:49 PM
              On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 11:53 AM, Tim Ottinger<linux_tim@...> wrote:

              > The reason for small teams is because communication breaks down as
              > teams size up. In other words communication is maximized by
              > intentionally keeping team size small. I'm not sure why you would want to
              > size up the teams. It leaves me a little puzzled.
              >
              > I would love for you to show us a new balance of written and oral
              > communication using old (paper, word, CASE) or new (blogs, wikis, mail,
              > social nets) tech so well that we don't need small team size in order to
              > maintain rich, full communication bandwidth and can still get immediate
              > answers to our questions and concerns.
              >
              > If you have the right idea, then you will have made a contribution to the
              > field. We will all have learned something useful. We might even suffer small
              > degradations of individual pair productivity if they led to compensatory
              > whole-team productivity. It's all cost/benefit, I guess, but you can be
              > assured that all Pareto improvements are welcome.
              >
              > If your idea does not work (ie, a return to document management in place of
              > development, wasteful phase-boundary ceremonies, higher overhead, decrease
              > in running tested features per iteration) then you will have confirmed
              > something that we believed all along.
              >
              > There is NO downside to you doing this work.

              No downside for us, maybe. However, they do not grant PhDs for
              confirming something that is generally believed, especially if the
              basis of that confirmation is just one idea that did not work.

              > Godspeed.
              >
              > Tim Ottinger
              > http://agileinaflash.blogspot.com/
              > http://agileotter.blogspot.com/

            • zaidoun alzoabi
              Message 6 of 30 , Jul 3 8:49 PM

                Dear all,
                thanks for your reply

                your questions could be answered through reading this article www.ieeexplore.ieee.org/iel5/4520396/4529902/04530347.pdf

                but for te time I will answer your main questions;

                We have used XP in a big project that intended to computerize the tax autority processes in Syria. The system is considered very complex due to the many laws, regulations, decrees, and procedures used.
                we had to modify the lifecycle of XP in order to deal with the complexity of the system, this happened through adding a clear analysis phase before any release, and breaking the system into smaller modules each taken by pair developers.
                in the analysis phase we used formal meeting sessions with tax experts and managers and we used DFD and ERD to communicate with them.
                These people did not have time to communicate with us on frequent basis and in many cases they had conflicting ideas, this why we needed formal communication with them.
                pair development is different from pair programming as the pair here will not only sit at the same computer and do the coding, our pair will do the analysis for their module, desing the solution, integrate with the design of other pairs modules and then do the coding development=analysis+desing+programming+testing
                the research goes beyond Boehm and Turner "balancing Agility with Discipline" by saying how to do that in reality, and that too by focusing on Nonake spiral knowledge sharing model SECI
                best regards

              • zdnfa
                Message 7 of 30 , Jul 3 8:53 PM
                  Dear all,
                  thanks for your reply

                  your questions could be answered through reading this article www.ieeexplore.ieee.org/iel5/4520396/4529902/04530347.pdf

                  but for te time I will answer your main questions;

                  1. We have used XP in a big project that intended to computerize the tax autority processes in Syria. The system is considered very complex due to the many laws, regulations, decrees, and procedures used.
                  2. we had to modify the lifecycle of XP in order to deal with the complexity of the system, this happened through adding a clear analysis phase before any release, and breaking the system into smaller modules each taken by pair developers.
                  in the analysis phase we used formal meeting sessions with tax experts and managers and we used DFD and ERD to communicate with them.
                  3. These people did not have time to communicate with us on frequent basis and in many cases they had conflicting ideas, this why we needed formal communication with them.

                  4. pair development is different from pair programming as the pair here will not only sit at the same computer and do the coding, our pair will do the analysis for their module, desing the solution, integrate with the design of other pairs modules and then do the coding development=analysis+desing+programming+testing

                  5. the research goes beyond Boehm and Turner "balancing Agility with Discipline" by saying how to do that in reality, and that too by focusing on Nonake spiral knowledge sharing model SECI
                  best regards
                • Slava Imeshev
                  Message 8 of 30 , Jul 3 11:36 PM
                    Along the same lines, to what area of knowledge
                    would a work on Ph.D. thesis on XP improvement
                    belong? Psychology? Business administration?

                    Regards,

                    Slava Imeshev
                  • Adam Sroka
                    Message 9 of 30 , Jul 3 11:53 PM
                      On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 8:48 PM, zdnfa<zdnfa@...> wrote:

                      > Dear all,
                      >
                      > i want to share with you the idea of my PhD. research
                      >
                      > the idea is that Kent Beck says that XP works fine for projects of 10 to 20
                      > programmers, but not for the big ones.

                      10-20 programmers is /huge/. In my experience XP teams are successful
                      with far fewer.

                      > our research is that some modifications on XP may well make it fine with big
                      > ones. these modifications are as follows:

                      Why? Why would you want your team to be bigger than that? What
                      advantage does having a large team provide?

                      > 1. XP focuses on tacit knowledge sharing but on explicit, we need to increse
                      > our focus on explicit knowledge by increasing the amount of documentation
                      > but rationally.

                      Is running code with tests a form of "explicit knowledge?" Might we
                      perhaps be more successful with more of that rather than more
                      documentation (rational or otherwise?)

                      > 2. if we add an analysis phase per iteration we increase the amount of
                      > explicit knowledge sharing with customers.

                      We analyze continuously. How would separating analysis from other
                      day-to-day activities give us any advantage?

                      > 3. we introduce the concept of pair development over instead of pair
                      > programming, that is instead of doing the programming in pairs, we do the
                      > analysis, design, and coding in pairs.

                      We already do this. Analysis, design, and coding are all part of the
                      existing pair programming/TDD paradigm.
                    • Adam Sroka
                      Message 10 of 30 , Jul 4 3:30 AM
                        On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 8:53 PM, zdnfa<zdnfa@...> wrote:

                        > Dear all,
                        > thanks for your reply
                        >
                        > your questions could be answered through reading this article
                        > www.ieeexplore.ieee.org/iel5/4520396/4529902/04530347.pdf

                        I'm not currently a member of IEEE, and I'm not inclined to pay to
                        read this. However, I wanted to point out that your abstract is
                        incorrect. The statement, "agile methods suffer from the lack of
                        disciplined planning" shows a lack of fundamental understanding of the
                        XP approach. Also, XP is neither the oldest nor the most well known of
                        the Agile methods. At least Scrum and FDD predate XP, and Scrum is
                        more widely adopted and understood. Further, you stated that your
                        intent was to extend XP beyond the limit of "ten to twenty developers"
                        and yet your study only used eleven.
                      • Steven Gordon
                        Message 11 of 30 , Jul 4 6:03 AM
                          On Fri, Jul 3, 2009 at 8:49 PM, zaidoun alzoabi<zdnfa@...> wrote:

                          > Dear all,
                          > thanks for your reply
                          >
                          > your questions could be answered through reading this article
                          > www.ieeexplore.ieee.org/iel5/4520396/4529902/04530347.pdf
                          >
                          > but for te time I will answer your main questions;
                          >

                          > We have used XP in a big project that intended to computerize the tax
                          > autority processes in Syria. The system is considered very complex due to
                          > the many laws, regulations, decrees, and procedures used.
                          > we had to modify the lifecycle of XP in order to deal with the complexity of
                          > the system, this happened through adding a clear analysis phase before any
                          > release, and breaking the system into smaller modules each taken by pair
                          > developers.

                          Every project encounters obstacles. In the vast majority of cases,
                          the obstacles can be cleared given determination, courage and
                          organizational support (and sometimes small adaptations of the
                          methodology). In a few cases, the team may have to make major changes
                          to their methodology instead.

                          Just because one particular team in one particular circumstance did
                          not have the determination, courage and organizational support to make
                          XP work does not necessarily mean XP could not have been made to work.
                          If you had brought in an experienced XP consultant who was unable to
                          find a way to make XP work, then maybe there would be some credibility
                          to your premise.

                          Did the team deliver working software periodically to these "tax
                          experts and managers" for feedback and use that feedback to improve
                          the software and the shared understanding of the requirements (and
                          even modify future requirements or their relative priority)? If so,
                          how frequently did this feedback loop occur. If this feedback loop
                          did not occur monthly at the very least, then the team did not do a
                          modified form of XP or even Agile, but instead just gave up and
                          reverted to Waterfall when they encountered resistance.

                          That waterfall can work a little better when the phases are done by
                          pairs working together would not be a surprising result to the Agile
                          world, but maybe the Waterfall community would find it significant.
                        • Tim Ottinger
                          Message 12 of 30 , Jul 4 8:01 AM
                            Tim Ottinger
                            http://agileinaflash.blogspot.com/
                            http://agileotter.blogspot.com/

                            > On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 8:48 PM, zdnfawrote:
                            > >

                            > > Dear all,
                            > >
                            > > i want to share with you the idea of my PhD. research
                            > >
                            > > the idea is that Kent Beck says that XP works fine for projects of 10 to 20
                            > > programmers, but not for the big ones.
                            > >

                            > 10-20 programmers is /huge/. In my experience XP teams are successful
                            > with far fewer.
                            >
                            > > our research is that some modifications on XP may well make it fine with big
                            > > ones. these modifications are as follows:
                            > >

                            > Why? Why would you want your team to be bigger than that? What
                            > advantage does having a large team provide?
                            >
                            > > 1. XP focuses on tacit knowledge sharing but on explicit, we need to increse
                            > > our focus on explicit knowledge by increasing the amount of documentation
                            > > but rationally.
                            > >

                            > Is running code with tests a form of "explicit knowledge?" Might we
                            > perhaps be more successful with more of that rather than more
                            > documentation (rational or otherwise?)
                            >
                            > > 2. if we add an analysis phase per iteration we increase the amount of
                            > > explicit knowledge sharing with customers.
                            > >

                            > We analyze continuously. How would separating analysis from other
                            > day-to-day activities give us any advantage?
                            >
                            > > 3. we introduce the concept of pair development over instead of pair
                            > > programming, that is instead of doing the programming in pairs, we do the
                            > > analysis, design, and coding in pairs.
                            > >

                            > We already do this. Analysis, design, and coding are all part of the
                            > existing pair programming/TDD paradigm.

                          • Phlip
                            Message 13 of 30 , Jul 5 3:30 PM
                              zdnfa wrote:

                              > the idea is that Kent Beck says that XP works fine for projects of 10 to 20 programmers, but not for the big ones.

                              How about you locate the 10 biggest, most successful projects you can, and then
                              study what they actually did? Not what ideology they worshiped!

                              > 1. XP focuses on tacit knowledge sharing but on explicit, we need to increse our focus on explicit knowledge by increasing the amount of documentation but rationally.

                              Look at online repositories like GitHub. They share a huge amount of data, all
                              of them implicitly, with minimal documentation. This does not always work
                              perfectly - like anything in Open Source land - but when it does the results are
                              amazing.

                              > 2. if we add an analysis phase per iteration we increase the amount of explicit knowledge sharing with customers.

                              Why would spending a period of time guessing what the technical architecture
                              will be improve the knowledge sharing on the business side? Seems to me that
                              standardizing the storytests, like Cucumber does, would be more useful.

                              > 3. we introduce the concept of pair development over instead of pair programming, that is instead of doing the programming in pairs, we do the analysis, design, and coding in pairs.

                              The problem with that is pair programming without TDD and emergent design is
                              very painful. This is why most knowledge-work always was - and still is - from a
                              desk built for one.

                              Imagine, for example, pair Googling. One pair want to click on one citation,
                              while another pair wants to click on another. The friction simply is not worth
                              the slight benefit in synergy. The pair might as well Google for overlapping
                              topics, from two workstations, and then merge their findings!

                              > can i hear from you your point of view on these points.

                              Please do not go here:

                              http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?BigAgileUpFront

                              --
                              Phlip
                              http://twitter.com/Pen_Bird
                              Message 14 of 30 , Jul 5 10:03 PM
                                Dear Zaidoun,

                                It sounds like you made a sensible local adaptation of XP for your
                                situation. That's what XPers do. The question of whether those adaptations
                                are more generally applicable is worth careful study. Please keep me
                                apprised of your progress.

                                Regards,

                                Kent Beck
                                Three Rivers Institute

                                _____

                                Message 15 of 30 , Jul 5 11:38 PM
                                  Always an optimist. I love that.

                                  Whenever someone says to me, "The way you described turned out to be
                                  sub-optimal. So I modified it." And then in the course of discussion
                                  they say things that make me suspect it is possible that they hadn't
                                  fully understood or adopted my suggestions, I am concerned that the
                                  adaptations are not local optimizations but simply a substitution for
                                  missing skills/knowledge needed to do it the way that was suggested.

                                  If that is the case it is okay. However, we are also talking about
                                  academic research (And, as Steven pointed out PhD level research is
                                  supposed to be on the cutting edge - moving the state of knowledge
                                  forward.) I think that it is even more important in an academic
                                  context to fully grok a concept before you attempt to change it.

                                  I'm also a little weary of what direction "forward" is in this
                                  context. Creating something more RUP-like is not "forward" in my
                                  humble opinion. I worked for a guy who claimed to be doing a blend of
                                  Scrum and RUP, but what he was really doing was failing to understand
                                  Scrum at all and just doing an iterative sort of RUP (WIth daily
                                  meetings where we had to listen to him talk for half-an-hour.) That's
                                  fine, until you start selling it to others as some sort of "improved
                                  Scrum" when you've yet to actually try what Scrum suggests.

                                  On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 10:03 PM, kentb<kentb@...> wrote:

                                  > Dear Zaidoun,
                                  >
                                  > It sounds like you made a sensible local adaptation of XP for your
                                  > situation. That's what XPers do. The question of whether those adaptations
                                  > are more generally applicable is worth careful study. Please keep me
                                  > apprised of your progress.
                                  >
                                  > Regards,
                                  >
                                  > Kent Beck
                                  > Three Rivers Institute
                                  >
                                  > _____

                                • kentb
                                  Message 16 of 30 , Jul 13 8:09 AM
                                    Dear Adam,

                                    I've been working on a way to respond positively to your message below. I
                                    hope I have it.

                                    What I appreciate about the work Zaidoun is doing is that it takes XP into a
                                    context unlike the one in which XP was created (government development) and
                                    blends ideas from a familiar development style with what is new about XP. I
                                    trust that he and his colleagues will evolve from the style they have now
                                    based on their experiences, much as I hope to evolve my style.

                                    What I heard in the responses to his query was, "You haven't earned all the
                                    merit badges. Don't even bother talking to us until you have." I think

                                    I wish the community here was more accepting and encouraging. I can't force
                                    that to happen so I do what I can to accept and encourage. I don't think
                                    that makes me an "optimist" (which it sounds like you mean as a pejorative,
                                    strangely enough), just someone who is curious about what the other 15
                                    million programmers on the planet are thinking about.

                                    Regards,

                                    Kent Beck
                                    Three Rivers Institute

                                    _____

                                    On Sun, Jul 5, 2009 at 10:03 PM, kentb<kentb@earthlink.
                                    <mailto:kentb%40earthlink.net> net> wrote:

                                    > Dear Zaidoun,
                                    >
                                    > It sounds like you made a sensible local adaptation of XP for your
                                    > situation. That's what XPers do. The question of whether those adaptations
                                    > are more generally applicable is worth careful study. Please keep me
                                    > apprised of your progress.
                                    >
                                    > Regards,
                                    >
                                    > Kent Beck
                                    > Three Rivers Institute
                                    >
                                    > _____
                                    >
                                    > From: extremeprogramming@ <mailto:extremeprogramming%40yahoogroups.com>
                                    yahoogroups.com

                                  • Adam Sroka
                                    Message 17 of 30 , Jul 13 8:46 AM
                                      On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 11:09 AM, kentb<kentb@...> wrote:

                                      > Dear Adam,
                                      >
                                      > I've been working on a way to respond positively to your message below. I
                                      > hope I have it.
                                      >
                                      > What I appreciate about the work Zaidoun is doing is that it takes XP into a
                                      > context unlike the one in which XP was created (government development) and
                                      > blends ideas from a familiar development style with what is new about XP. I
                                      > trust that he and his colleagues will evolve from the style they have now
                                      > based on their experiences, much as I hope to evolve my style.

                                      I appreciate that. As I said, I don't see how what he is doing or
                                      purporting to have done moves our knowledge "forward." But, if you do
                                      see that, then that is good. I don't know everything, and I won't
                                      begin to claim to know that what you are seeing isn't there. All I am
                                      saying is that I don't see it.

                                      > What I heard in the responses to his query was, "You haven't earned all the
                                      > merit badges. Don't even bother talking to us until you have." I think

                                      Sort of... There are a lot of people out there who claim that what we
                                      do can't or doesn't work. Very few of them seem to have completely
                                      understood or attempted what we have actually described. Further, many
                                      of us, myself included, have witnessed situations where these things
                                      didn't work and it was clearly attributable to a lack of skill or
                                      understanding. Perhaps some of us are too quick to conclude that
                                      someone who sees our approach as incomplete hasn't really had a
                                      thorough look.

                                      > I wish the community here was more accepting and encouraging. I can't force
                                      > that to happen so I do what I can to accept and encourage. I don't think
                                      > that makes me an "optimist" (which it sounds like you mean as a pejorative,
                                      > strangely enough), just someone who is curious about what the other 15
                                      > million programmers on the planet are thinking about.

                                      I did not intend it as a pejorative. I meant precisely what I said
                                      above: that you are able to see positive things where I have failed to
                                      see any.
                                    • Tim Ottinger
                                      Message 18 of 30 , Jul 14 6:35 AM
                                        > Whenever someone says to me, "The way you described turned out to be
                                        > sub-optimal. So I modified it." And then in the course of discussion
                                        > they say things that make me suspect it is possible that they hadn't
                                        > fully understood or adopted my suggestions, I am concerned that the
                                        > adaptations are not local optimizations but simply a substitution for
                                        > missing skills/knowledge needed to do it the way that was suggested.

                                        Adam,

                                        As people who pride themselves on quick thinking and quick learning, we tend to jump to 'ha' and 'ri' without much 'shu'. I mostly worry about people who want to "improve" XP by making it into waterfall or undisciplined nonsense. But they have a right. Who knows? Perhaps they are as smart as they think, and will give us something we never had before.

                                        The good thing about freedom is that anything can happen. The bad thing about freedom is the same. :-)

                                        Message 19 of 30 , Jul 14 8:13 AM
                                          On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 9:35 AM, Tim Ottinger<linux_tim@...> wrote:

> [...]

                                          Perhaps you are right. On the other hand, I don't feel terribly guilty
                                          about thinking the former in absence of any evidence of the latter. I
                                          also don't feel particularly guilty when someone says, "look what I
                                          did," and I ask them, "how/why is that better?"

                                          > The good thing about freedom is that anything can happen. The bad thing
                                          > about freedom is the same. :-)

                                          I absolutely think that people have the right to do whatever they
                                          want. I also think that we have the right to challenge them.
                                          Particularly, when they come to us asking for validation (or at least
                                          acknowledgment) of what they have changed.
                                        • Steven Gordon
                                          Message 20 of 30 , Jul 14 8:27 AM
                                            On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 8:13 AM, Adam Sroka<adam.sroka@...> wrote:

                                            > On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 9:35 AM, Tim Ottinger<linux_tim@...> wrote:

                                            Especially when they call it research and/or hold it up as an exemplar.
                                          • Chris Wheeler
                                            Message 21 of 30 , Jul 14 10:52 AM
                                              On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:

                                              > I absolutely think that people have the right to do whatever they
                                              > want. I also think that we have the right to challenge them.
                                              > Particularly, when they come to us asking for validation (or at least
                                              > acknowledgment) of what they have changed.

                                              I got the impression that the original poster was presenting a hypothesis,
                                              formed from his experiences, which he hadn't tested but wanted to further
                                              research. I didn't get the impression that his email was the end of his
                                              research nor the basis of any proof.

                                              Seems like a sound way to proceed, no?

                                              Chris.

                                            • Steven Gordon
                                              Message 22 of 30 , Jul 14 11:50 AM
                                                On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Chris
                                                Wheeler<christopher.wheeler@...> wrote:

                                                > On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 11:13 AM, Adam Sroka <adam.sroka@...> wrote:
                                                >
                                                >> I absolutely think that people have the right to do whatever they
                                                >> want. I also think that we have the right to challenge them.
                                                >> Particularly, when they come to us asking for validation (or at least
                                                >> acknowledgment) of what they have changed.
                                                >>

                                                > I got the impression that the original poster was presenting a hypothesis,
                                                > formed from his experiences, which he hadn't tested but wanted to further
                                                > research. I didn't get the impression that his email was the end of his
                                                > research nor the basis of any proof.
                                                >
                                                > Seems like a sound way to proceed, no?

                                                That would depend on what the OP means by the word "is".

                                                My reading is that the research is well under way, if not already done
                                                and currently being written up.

                                                I find it a huge stretch to read the OP's original post as a mere
                                                research proposal. Can you really read it that way?

                                                > Chris.

                                              • Tim Ottinger
                                                Message 23 of 30 , Jul 14 12:38 PM
                                                  > Especially when they call it research and/or hold it up as an exemplar.

                                                  It would only be the exemplar thing that bothers me in the least.
                                                  But I was convinced of a lot of things when I first read of XP, too.

                                                  Message 24 of 30 , Jul 14 6:44 PM
                                                    On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 2:50 PM, Steven Gordon <sgordonphd@...> wrote:

                                                    > I find it a huge stretch to read the OP's original post as a mere
                                                    > research proposal. Can you really read it that way?

                                                    Yes I can read it that way, once I factored in the OP's
                                                    English-as-a-second-language.

                                                    Chris.

                                                  • zdnfa
                                                    Message 25 of 30 , Jul 14 7:48 PM
                                                      Dear all,

                                                      Thanks for your comments on the topic, but I was a bit surprised at the extremism I saw about XP, something I don't think Kent Beck really meant by EXTREME PROGRAMMING.
                                                      I find it compulsory to develop XP if we are really XPers, and here I want to expose what some of what we have found in a survey we conducted in IADIS Informatics 2009 conference in Portugal.
                                                      1. 95.5 of the surveyed IT experts (taught, practiced, or at least have good knowledge of XP) say knowledge sharing enhances software quality.
                                                      2. More than 80% said that we need both explicit and tacit knowledge sharing.
                                                      3. 68% said that an analysis phase will enhance explicit and tacit knowledge sharing in XP.
                                                      So the modification we made is seen in the following figure:

                                                      And we emphasized principles like:
                                                      • Use always balanced pairs. Try to make the pair look like pair developers rather than pair programmers.
                                                      • Use rationalized documentation that keeps project within the control of the project manager or coach.
                                                      • Perform one analysis phase per one release. This eases the job of the on-site-customer
                                                      Is there any problem in that?!!!
                                                      Message 26 of 30 , Jul 14 8:37 PM
                                                        Hello, zdnfa. On Tuesday, July 14, 2009, at 10:48:03 PM, you
                                                        wrote:

                                                        > Is there any problem in that?!!!

                                                        Yes. It is surely possible to be successful using the approach
                                                        you've talked about: it's possible to be successful with almost any
                                                        approach.

                                                        What is your plan for comparing your approach to other more
                                                        "classic" approaches, such as a more pure version of XP, or a more
                                                        pure version of waterfall, and so on?

                                                        Or, without such comparisons, what valid conclusions do you think
                                                        you might be able to draw?

                                                        www.xprogramming.com/blog
                                                        it is because we do not dare that they are difficult. --Seneca
                                                      • Steven Gordon
                                                        Message 27 of 30 , Jul 14 8:40 PM
                                                          On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 7:48 PM, zdnfa<zdnfa@...> wrote:

                                                          > Dear all,
                                                          >
                                                          > Thanks for your comments on the topic, but I was a bit surprised at the
                                                          > extremism I saw about XP, something I don't think Kent Beck really meant by
                                                          > EXTREME PROGRAMMING.
                                                          > I find it compulsory to develop XP if we are really XPers, and here I want
                                                          > to expose what some of what we have found in a survey we conducted in IADIS
                                                          > Informatics 2009 conference in Portugal.
                                                          > 1. 95.5 of the surveyed IT experts (taught, practiced, or at least have good
                                                          > knowledge of XP) say knowledge sharing enhances software quality.

                                                          agreed.
                                                          > 2. More than 80% said that we need both explicit and tacit knowledge
                                                          > sharing.

                                                          agreed.
                                                          > 3. 68% said that an analysis phase will enhance explicit and tacit knowledge
                                                          > sharing in XP.

                                                          Agile does away with phases by rotating the traditional process 90 degrees.

                                                          Instead of doing phases in order such as these:
                                                          - domain modeling for the whole system,
                                                          - analysis for the whole system,
                                                          - design for the whole system,
                                                          - coding for the whole system,
                                                          - testing for the whole system,
                                                          - deployment for the whole system,
                                                          - getting feedback from the users on the whole system,
                                                          agile does all of the above for just a few thin functional slices of
                                                          the whole system in just 2 weeks, and then all of the above for a few
                                                          more functional slices the next two weeks, etc, always delivering
                                                          working software, learning from successes and failures, and applying
                                                          that learning to the next 2 week iteration.

                                                          > So the modification we made is seen in the following figure:
                                                          >
                                                          > And we emphasized principles like:
                                                          > • Use always balanced pairs. Try to make the pair look like pair developers
                                                          > rather than pair programmers.
                                                          > • Use rationalized documentation that keeps project within the control of
                                                          > the project manager or coach.

                                                          The people doing the work keep it under control because they cannot go
                                                          too far wrong in 2 weeks and get feedback from each delivery of
                                                          working software. The overhead and misunderstandings of communication
                                                          via documentation is avoided.

                                                          > • Perform one analysis phase per one release. This eases the job of the
                                                          > on-site-customer

                                                          Too long to wait for feedback and recover from mistakes and misunderstandings.

                                                          > Is there any problem in that?!!!

                                                        • Adam Sroka
                                                          Message 28 of 30 , Jul 17 7:56 PM
                                                            On Tue, Jul 14, 2009 at 10:48 PM, zdnfa<zdnfa@...> wrote:

                                                            > Dear all,
                                                            >
                                                            > Thanks for your comments on the topic, but I was a bit surprised at the
                                                            > extremism I saw about XP, something I don't think Kent Beck really meant by
                                                            > EXTREME PROGRAMMING.

                                                            That's dangerously close to an ad hominem. No one here has said
                                                            anything that extreme thus far.

                                                            > I find it compulsory to develop XP if we are really XPers, and here I want
                                                            > to expose what some of what we have found in a survey we conducted in IADIS
                                                            > Informatics 2009 conference in Portugal.
                                                            > 1. 95.5 of the surveyed IT experts (taught, practiced, or at least have good
                                                            > knowledge of XP) say knowledge sharing enhances software quality.

                                                            It's rare that 95.5% of people agree on anything. The term "knowledge
                                                            sharing" without further elucidation is vacuous. Those who promote
                                                            document-centric methods would consider what they are doing "knowledge
                                                            sharing" and believe that it "enhances quality." Most Agile proponents
                                                            believe the same thing about their own notion of "knowledge sharing."
                                                            Neither group necessarily believes that the other's method of
                                                            "knowledge sharing" is effective.

                                                            > 2. More than 80% said that we need both explicit and tacit knowledge
                                                            > sharing.

                                                            That agrees with a basic tenet of Agile. Tacit knowledge, by
                                                            definition, can't be shared in a document-centric way. We believe that
                                                            document-centric approaches are flawed and direct interpersonal
                                                            communication is necessary. The above statistic supports that.
                                                            However, explicit knowledge can be shared verbally as well as written
                                                            down. So, the need for explicit knowledge does not necessitate a
                                                            document-centric approach.

                                                            > 3. 68% said that an analysis phase will enhance explicit and tacit knowledge
                                                            > sharing in XP.

                                                            I can't address that. If the question were posed to me I would refuse
                                                            to answer until I had sufficient definitions of "analysis phase" and
                                                            "knowledge sharing in XP". Assuming I knew what was being suggested, I
                                                            would have to try it alongside the existing practices to know if it
                                                            added anything or took anything away.

                                                            > So the modification we made is seen in the following figure:
                                                            >
                                                            > And we emphasized principles like:
                                                            > • Use always balanced pairs. Try to make the pair look like pair developers
                                                            > rather than pair programmers.

                                                            I don't understand that. What is the difference between a "programmer"
                                                            and a "developer" in your estimation? How does one "balance" a pair?
                                                            Can I still work with someone who is substantially lighter or heavier
                                                            than I am? ;-)

                                                            > • Use rationalized documentation that keeps project within the control of
                                                            > the project manager or coach.

                                                            This statement scares me a lot. Project managers don't "control"
                                                            anything, nor should they try. That goes at least double for coaches.
                                                            In my experience, unless documentation provides some direct business
                                                            value it is usually wasteful. Even when it does provide value,
                                                            maintaining it is more expensive than most realize.

                                                            > • Perform one analysis phase per one release. This eases the job of the
                                                            > on-site-customer

                                                            How does this ease the job for the Customer? Is the Customer's job too hard now?
                                                          • Chris Wheeler
                                                            Message 29 of 30 , Jul 18 7:26 AM
                                                              Adam, you appear quite passionate about research and XP. Since this research
                                                              clearly isn't up to your standard, or even necessary, would you suggest a
                                                              few topics that may be worthy of further academic research? That may be
                                                              more helpful than this dismissive approach you are taking.

                                                              Chris.