Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Resources on Self-Organization & Self-Organizing Teams (was Re: Agile Self-Organization versus Lean Leadership)

Expand Messages
  • Brad Appleton
    Crossposting here by request ... I followed-up on my original blog-post with an entry on self-organization and complexity, and another on self-organizing teams
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 2, 2009
    • 0 Attachment
      Crossposting here by request ...

      I followed-up on my original blog-post with an entry on
      self-organization and complexity, and another on self-organizing teams
      in particular.

      What may be of most interest however is the is the list of about three
      dozen or so online resources on the subject.

      Interested parties can view it at
      http://blog.bradapp.net/search/label/Self-Organization

      --
      Brad Appleton <brad {AT} bradapp.net>
      Agile CM Environments (http://blog.bradapp.net/)
      & Software CM Patterns (www.scmpatterns.com)
      "And miles to go before I sleep" -- Robert Frost
    • D. André Dhondt
      I ve been reading a lot on this subject lately, and wanted to mention one of the presuppositions that I missed when I first started reading some of the
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 2, 2009
      • 0 Attachment
        I've been reading a lot on this subject lately, and wanted to mention one of
        the presuppositions that I missed when I first started reading some of the
        articles on the subject: to be self-organizing, a team needs to be past the
        Storming phase in Tuckman's Forming, Storming, Norming, Performing model.
        I'd love to know how to help a team go through these phases quickly... but
        it seems to mostly be related to individual desires to open up, or not.

        On Thu, Jul 2, 2009 at 6:51 PM, Brad Appleton <Brad.Appleton@...>wrote:

        >
        >
        > Crossposting here by request ...
        >
        > I followed-up on my original blog-post with an entry on
        > self-organization and complexity, and another on self-organizing teams
        > in particular.
        >
        > What may be of most interest however is the is the list of about three
        > dozen or so online resources on the subject.
        >
        > Interested parties can view it at
        > http://blog.bradapp.net/search/label/Self-Organization
        >
        > --
        > Brad Appleton <brad {AT} bradapp.net>
        > Agile CM Environments (http://blog.bradapp.net/)
        > & Software CM Patterns (www.scmpatterns.com)
        > "And miles to go before I sleep" -- Robert Frost
        >
        >



        --
        D. André Dhondt
        mobile: 001 33 671 034 984


        [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
      • George Dinwiddie
        ... Andre, I ve never found the Tuckman model very helpful for enabling teams. Just because they re storming, it doesn t mean they ll proceed to norming. You
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 3, 2009
        • 0 Attachment
          D. André Dhondt wrote:
          > I've been reading a lot on this subject lately, and wanted to mention one of
          > the presuppositions that I missed when I first started reading some of the
          > articles on the subject: to be self-organizing, a team needs to be past the
          > Storming phase in Tuckman's Forming, Storming, Norming, Performing model.
          > I'd love to know how to help a team go through these phases quickly... but
          > it seems to mostly be related to individual desires to open up, or not.

          Andre, I've never found the Tuckman model very helpful for enabling
          teams. Just because they're storming, it doesn't mean they'll proceed
          to norming. You might look at the Drexler-Sibbet Team Performance
          Model. I was first introduced to this by Esther Derby and wrote
          http://blog.gdinwiddie.com/2008/12/03/aye-2008-the-magic-chemistry-of-teams/
          on it.

          - George

          --
          ----------------------------------------------------------------------
          * George Dinwiddie * http://blog.gdinwiddie.com
          Software Development http://www.idiacomputing.com
          Consultant and Coach http://www.agilemaryland.org
          ----------------------------------------------------------------------
        • D. André Dhondt
          ... I agree. Apparently only 6% of teams are currently in a performing status (
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 8, 2009
          • 0 Attachment
            George wrote:
            >Just because they're storming, it doesn't mean they'll proceed to norming

            I agree. Apparently only 6% of teams are currently in a performing status (
            http://www.stevedenning.com/High-Performance-Teams/creating-high-performance-teams.aspx
            ).

            Still, I don't see how this detracts from Tuckman's model. On a cursory
            analysis, I see a lot of similarities between Tuckman's model and the
            Drexler-Sibbet model, but I suppose that breaking out Forming into
            Orientation and Goal Clarification, then Storming into and Commitment and
            Trust, etc., helps clarify how to direct a team through the phases. Is
            there something else about Drexler-Sibbler that is significant for you?

            In a larger sense, do you think I'm off-base in asserting the following?

            You can't do effective teamwork without a team that has at least reached the
            norming (Tuckman) / implementing (Drexler-Sibbler) phase.

            --
            D. André Dhondt


            [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
          • Chris Wheeler
            On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 11:19 AM, D. André Dhondt ... into 94% of teams are not performing . If that were the case, 94% of police officers, firefighters,
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 8, 2009
            • 0 Attachment
              On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 11:19 AM, D. André Dhondt
              <d.andre.dhondt@...>wrote:

              > George wrote:
              > >Just because they're storming, it doesn't mean they'll proceed to norming
              >
              > I agree. Apparently only 6% of teams are currently in a performing status
              > (
              >
              > http://www.stevedenning.com/High-Performance-Teams/creating-high-performance-teams.aspx
              > ).
              >
              > The (unsupported)94% of people who don't love their jobs doesn't translate
              into 94% of teams are not 'performing'. If that were the case, 94% of police
              officers, firefighters, doctors, nurses, engineers, judges, actors, etc.
              would not be 'performing'.

              Can anyone honestly claim this to be the truth?

              Chris.


              [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
            • D. André Dhondt
              On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 7:00 PM, Chris Wheeler
              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 8, 2009
              • 0 Attachment
                On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 7:00 PM, Chris Wheeler <christopher.wheeler@...
                > wrote:>Can anyone honestly claim this to be the truth?
                Wow... I just re-read that quote... I had misremembered what it was about,
                and as you imply, it doesn't substantiate my argument at all. So no, I
                don't think it makes sense--in life-critical lines of work I think group
                members will quickly move to a performing team. Sorry!

                OK, so back to my unanswered question. Do you think a team needs to gel/get
                to norming/get to implementing before you can expect it to do all the XP
                practices?


                --
                D. André Dhondt


                [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
              • George Dinwiddie
                ... I don t think you re off-base with that assertion. My difficulty with the Tuckman model is that, as a team facilitator, I find little guidance in to to
                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 8, 2009
                • 0 Attachment
                  D. André Dhondt wrote:
                  > George wrote:
                  >> Just because they're storming, it doesn't mean they'll proceed to norming
                  >
                  > I agree. Apparently only 6% of teams are currently in a performing status (
                  > http://www.stevedenning.com/High-Performance-Teams/creating-high-performance-teams.aspx
                  > ).
                  >
                  > Still, I don't see how this detracts from Tuckman's model. On a cursory
                  > analysis, I see a lot of similarities between Tuckman's model and the
                  > Drexler-Sibbet model, but I suppose that breaking out Forming into
                  > Orientation and Goal Clarification, then Storming into and Commitment and
                  > Trust, etc., helps clarify how to direct a team through the phases. Is
                  > there something else about Drexler-Sibbler that is significant for you?
                  >
                  > In a larger sense, do you think I'm off-base in asserting the following?
                  >
                  > You can't do effective teamwork without a team that has at least reached the
                  > norming (Tuckman) / implementing (Drexler-Sibbler) phase.

                  I don't think you're off-base with that assertion.

                  My difficulty with the Tuckman model is that, as a team facilitator, I
                  find little guidance in to to help me help the team reach the
                  norming/implementing stage. (And I've read Bruce Tuckman's
                  Developmental Sequence in Small Groups.)

                  I get more such guidance looking at the picture
                  (http://hp-strategies.com/images/tpm.jpg) of the Drexler-Sibbet TPM.
                  There are clues as to what you might see if the questions of a stage are
                  resolved or unresolved. You can also work backwards from your
                  observations to make inferences about the completeness of the stages.

                  This is an example of how Drexler-Sibbet provides me with more analysis
                  and thinking tools than does Tuckman. And I've barely scratched the
                  surface with Drexler-Sibbet.

                  - George

                  --
                  ----------------------------------------------------------------------
                  * George Dinwiddie * http://blog.gdinwiddie.com
                  Software Development http://www.idiacomputing.com
                  Consultant and Coach http://www.agilemaryland.org
                  ----------------------------------------------------------------------
                • D. André Dhondt
                  Thanks, George. I understand better now--in fact I think that I was working around the limitations of the normal Tuckman model by using a cheat sheet of
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 8, 2009
                  • 0 Attachment
                    Thanks, George. I understand better now--in fact I think that I was working
                    around the limitations of the normal Tuckman model by using a cheat sheet of
                    stage-appropriate goals, like the already complete Drexler-Sibbler picture
                    you cite below. I'll print that one out now ;)
                    On Wed, Jul 8, 2009 at 8:33 PM, George Dinwiddie <lists@...>wrote:

                    >
                    >
                    > D. André Dhondt wrote:
                    > > George wrote:
                    > >> Just because they're storming, it doesn't mean they'll proceed to
                    > norming
                    > >
                    > > I agree. Apparently only 6% of teams are currently in a performing status
                    > (
                    > >
                    > http://www.stevedenning.com/High-Performance-Teams/creating-high-performance-teams.aspx
                    > > ).
                    > >
                    > > Still, I don't see how this detracts from Tuckman's model. On a cursory
                    > > analysis, I see a lot of similarities between Tuckman's model and the
                    > > Drexler-Sibbet model, but I suppose that breaking out Forming into
                    > > Orientation and Goal Clarification, then Storming into and Commitment and
                    > > Trust, etc., helps clarify how to direct a team through the phases. Is
                    > > there something else about Drexler-Sibbler that is significant for you?
                    > >
                    > > In a larger sense, do you think I'm off-base in asserting the following?
                    > >
                    > > You can't do effective teamwork without a team that has at least reached
                    > the
                    > > norming (Tuckman) / implementing (Drexler-Sibbler) phase.
                    >
                    > I don't think you're off-base with that assertion.
                    >
                    > My difficulty with the Tuckman model is that, as a team facilitator, I
                    > find little guidance in to to help me help the team reach the
                    > norming/implementing stage. (And I've read Bruce Tuckman's
                    > Developmental Sequence in Small Groups.)
                    >
                    > I get more such guidance looking at the picture
                    > (http://hp-strategies.com/images/tpm.jpg) of the Drexler-Sibbet TPM.
                    > There are clues as to what you might see if the questions of a stage are
                    > resolved or unresolved. You can also work backwards from your
                    > observations to make inferences about the completeness of the stages.
                    >
                    > This is an example of how Drexler-Sibbet provides me with more analysis
                    > and thinking tools than does Tuckman. And I've barely scratched the
                    > surface with Drexler-Sibbet.
                    >
                    > - George
                    >
                    > --
                    > ----------------------------------------------------------
                    > * George Dinwiddie * http://blog.gdinwiddie.com
                    > Software Development http://www.idiacomputing.com
                    > Consultant and Coach http://www.agilemaryland.org
                    > ----------------------------------------------------------
                    >
                    >
                    >



                    --
                    D. André Dhondt
                    mobile: 001 33 671 034 984


                    [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.