People management in Agile

  • lmcjara
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 9, 2009
      Hi

      I would like to know if the concept of line management exists in Agile. Who is managing the performance of the individuals, plan the training and give the salary raises ?

      Thanks,

      Jacques
    • David H.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 9, 2009
        2009/6/9 lmcjara <jacques.raynauld@...>:
        > Hi
        >
        > I would like to know if the concept of line management exists in Agile. Who is managing the performance of the individuals, plan the training and give the salary raises ?

        Have a look at the books and the ideas Ricardo Semler published. Also
        have a look at how SEMCO is being run. While not necessarily 100%
        "agile" I believe his ideas are probably the next evolutionary step in
        "people" management. What a silly concept to manage people, don't you
        think?

        -d
      • Alexandru Palade
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 9, 2009
          Following David H.'s idea you can have a look at a previously posted
          video in which Ricardo Semler gives a talk about "people management".
          Personally, I found it very interesting.

          http://mitworld.mit.edu/video/308/

        • seema.nair@convergys.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 10, 2009
            Awesome talk!

            Alexandru Palade <alexandru.palade@...>
            Sent by: extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com
            06/09/2009 11:21 PM
            Please respond to
            extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com

            extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com
            cc

            Subject
            Re: [XP] People management in Agile

            David H. wrote:

            > 2009/6/9 lmcjara <jacques.raynauld@...
            > <mailto:jacques.raynauld%40ericsson.com>>:
            > > Hi
            > >
            > > I would like to know if the concept of line management exists in
            > Agile. Who is managing the performance of the individuals, plan the
            > training and give the salary raises ?
            > >
            > Have a look at the books and the ideas Ricardo Semler published. Also
            > have a look at how SEMCO is being run. While not necessarily 100%
            > "agile" I believe his ideas are probably the next evolutionary step in
            > "people" management. What a silly concept to manage people, don't you
            > think?
            >
            > -d

          • lmcjara
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 10, 2009
              Hi

              Thanks for the information. I watched the video and ordered the book. I don't think there is any form of People Management that is associated to the Agile movement at this moment but I guess if we are ever presented one, it would probably be close to what Ricardo is doing.

              /Jacques

              --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, seema.nair@... wrote:

              > Awesome talk!
              >

              > Alexandru Palade <alexandru.palade@...>
              > Sent by: extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com
              > 06/09/2009 11:21 PM
              > Please respond to
              > extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com

              > extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com
              > cc
              >
              > Subject
              > Re: [XP] People management in Agile
              >

              > Following David H.'s idea you can have a look at a previously posted
              > video in which Ricardo Semler gives a talk about "people management".
              > Personally, I found it very interesting.
              >
              > http://mitworld.mit.edu/video/308/
              >
              > David H. wrote:
              > >

              > > 2009/6/9 lmcjara <jacques.raynauld@...
              > > <mailto:jacques.raynauld%40ericsson.com>>:
              > > > Hi
              > > >
              > > > I would like to know if the concept of line management exists in
              > > Agile. Who is managing the performance of the individuals, plan the
              > > training and give the salary raises ?
              > > >
              > > Have a look at the books and the ideas Ricardo Semler published. Also
              > > have a look at how SEMCO is being run. While not necessarily 100%
              > > "agile" I believe his ideas are probably the next evolutionary step in
              > > "people" management. What a silly concept to manage people, don't you
              > > think?
              > >
              > > -d

            • geoffrey_slinker
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 10, 2009
                For a few years I managed a group concerned with software development based on Semler's book. There were many members of the group and several of them are people who's name you would recognize.

                I had been formulating the idea of a Semco type software process/busines since 1998 or 1999.

                In 2004 I wrote down my thoughts for the first time while commuting to work on the city bus.

                http://home.comcast.net/~gslinker/maverick/MaverickDevelopment.html

                Shortly thereafter I created the users group and ran it until the discussions became circular and less interesting.

                I captured the topics that I found most interesting and put them on a blog:

                http://mavericksoftwaredevelopment.blogspot.com/

                If you scroll to the bottom of the initial blog page you will see the topics listed.

                For instance, here is one of my posts that caused a lot of people to chew me out! I didn't mind the chewing.

                http://mavericksoftwaredevelopment.blogspot.com/2008/01/agilista.html

                I post this just to inform you that there are those that have thought about this and talked about it a lot.

                Geoff