Re: [XP] Pair Programming problem: 3 pros 2 cons. What to do?

  • Adam Sroka
    Message 1 of 42 , Jun 4, 2009
      On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 8:11 AM, George Dinwiddie
      <lists@...> wrote:

      > Ilja Preuß wrote:
      >> 2009/6/4 Michael Dubakov <firefalcon@...>:
      >>> Interesting enough, quality has been improved.
      >>> We have less bugs in production in new stories.
      >>> But to be honest, productivity decreased.
      >>
      >> Frankly, I have trouble understanding how these two assertions can be
      >> true at the same time, as in my experience, bugs are one of the worst
      >> productivity killers you could have.
      >
      > Tilt your head sideways and look again.
      >
      > A friend was once explaining the tax depreciation laws to me. As he
      > explained, a rock quarry business can depreciate the land as they remove
      > rock, because the land is becoming less valuable to them. Then they can
      > sell the land to a trash-hauling business. The trash-hauling business
      > can depreciate the land as they fill up the hole left by the former rock
      > quarry, because the land is becoming less valuable to them.
      >
      > In the same weird way, production of buggy features can be considered
      > productivity. And removal of those bugs can also be considered
      > productivity.
      >
      > ... if you look at the situation on a small enough breadth of view. I
      > would guess that the developers that don't want to pair are looking at
      > their own personal sense of productivity, not a larger corporate one.

      Yes. It is highly localized. If /I/ feel less productive it does not
      follow that my team is less productive. The opposite may, in fact, be
      true.

      Plus, you have to consider the emotional context in which the
      statement is made. What they are really saying is, "When we pair, I
      /feel/ like I am getting less done." That's not the same thing as
      actually measuring a reduction in productivity.

      Simply making them aware of how much their junior teammates have
      improved their productivity may mitigate the perception. IME, if one
      senior developer loses 50% productivity and two juniors gain 100%
      productivity the long term effects will be extremely positive even if
      there is a net loss of productivity in the short term.
    • Charlie Poole
      Message 42 of 42 , Jun 9, 2009
        Also, do *not* just decide to pair and do it without
        some in-depth discussion of how to do it. Developers
        tend to think it's "obvious" but it isn't always so.

        Charlie