Re: [XP] Software Development Research Questionnaire

  • Kim Gräsman
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 3, 2009
      Hello Eisha,

      I had trouble understanding some of the questions:

      > 11) How often do you meet each other, other than for work purposes?

      Do you mean outside of work? Or at work?

      > 15) Imagine the following situation:
      > You are part of a group, which have to complete its task on time.
      > However, group was unable to finish its target on time because:

      Not sure what you are asking here... What I think is the most likely
      cause of not finishing on time?

      > 18) Now imagine that you are running a database development project and one of your team
      > keeps coming to you with problems

      Do you mean "one of your team _members_"?

      > - the coders are not sticking to a rigorous standard; the documentation is unclear and is
      > well behind schedule, the coffee in the new vending machine is terrible…
      > This person is becoming very unhappy with the project and the rest of the team is
      > developing a hearty dislike of the pessimistic reports on their performance.

      I think the options to question 18 describe some ways of tackling this
      problem, but not every possible action plan. I'm not sure what kind of
      information you are trying to extract from the response, but maybe you
      could compose another, clearer question that provides the same
      information for you?

      Also, many of the multiple choice question have an "Other" option that
      I can answer Strongly Agree to Strongly Disagree on. Not sure what
      that means, unless I can enter what I mean by "Other".

      Thanks,
      - Kim

      On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 00:01, eisha_hasnain <eisha_hasnain@...> wrote:
      > Hello,
      >
      > I am a student at Brunel University London. I invite you to complete the Software Development Research Questionnaire, which will be the part of a PhD thesis, whose purpose is to better understand social issues of software developer.
      >
      > Before you do, we want you to know that:
      > • Your participation is entirely voluntary.
      > • If you choose to complete the questionnaire now, you may withdraw at any time for any reason.
      > • The results will be written up as a scientific paper.
      >
      > The questionnaire is available at
      > http://www.kwiksurveys.com/online-survey.php?surveyID=HOKNL_89a1ef
      > I would really appreciate your input on this issue.
      >
      > If participants have any concerns or complaints regarding this research project, he/she can directly contact to siscm-srec@... or Dr Annette Payne Tel. No. 00441895266295.'
      >
      > With Regards,
      > Eisha Hasnain
    • George Paci
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 5, 2009
        eisha_hasnain wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I am a student at Brunel University London. I invite you to complete the Software Development Research Questionnaire, which

        We get a lot of these. I think it's time to split them off into their
        own email list.

        Name suggestions?

        --George <gpaci@...>

        Software consultant with special expertise in
        general purpose GPU (GPGPU) computing

        PS: Vg'f n wbxr.
      • Steven Gordon
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 5, 2009
          On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 9:29 AM, George Paci <gpaci@...> wrote:

          > eisha_hasnain wrote:
          >> Hello,
          >>
          >> I am a student at Brunel University London. I invite you to complete the
          >> Software Development Research Questionnaire, which
          >
          > We get a lot of these. I think it's time to split them off into their
          > own email list.
          >
          > Name suggestions?

          Oxymoronic research.

          > --George <gpaci@...>
          >
          > Software consultant with special expertise in
          > general purpose GPU (GPGPU) computing
          >
          > PS: Vg'f n wbxr.

        • Phlip
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 5, 2009
            George Paci wrote:

            > eisha_hasnain wrote:

            >> Hello,

            >> I am a student at Brunel University London. I invite you to complete the Software Development Research Questionnaire, which

            > We get a lot of these. I think it's time to split them off into their
            > own email list.

            Disagree. While someone thinks of a better educational system in general -
            besides just Renaissance paperwork concepts mapped onto the Interthing - what
            the kids don't need is all the surveys answered by the same pool of opinionated
            practitioners with too much time on their hands.

            An announce group? of course. But the education happens when a question
            irritates someone here who might not have signed up for the Agile Polls list...

            --
            Phlip
          • Bill Caputo
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 5, 2009
              On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 3:37 PM, Phlip<phlip2005@...> wrote:
              > [...]Renaissance paperwork concepts mapped onto the Interthing[...]

              Nice!
            • Adam Sroka
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 5, 2009
                On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Phlip<phlip2005@...> wrote:

                > George Paci wrote:
                >
                >> eisha_hasnain wrote:
                >
                >>> Hello,
                >
                >>> I am a student at Brunel University London. I invite you to complete the
                >>> Software Development Research Questionnaire, which
                >
                >> We get a lot of these. I think it's time to split them off into their
                >> own email list.
                >
                > Disagree. While someone thinks of a better educational system in general -
                > besides just Renaissance paperwork concepts mapped onto the Interthing -
                > what
                > the kids don't need is all the surveys answered by the same pool of
                > opinionated
                > practitioners with too much time on their hands.
                >
                > An announce group? of course. But the education happens when a question
                > irritates someone here who might not have signed up for the Agile Polls
                > list...

                +1

                Creating a special group would mean a smaller user pool and probably
                only academics who are interested in research which creates an
                undesirable bias. I understand where George is coming from, but I
                think that it is more important for academics to have access to a
                broad pool of users in their field than to limit the annoyance factor
                from this type of message. We are all able to set filters if so
                inclined.
              • Steven Gordon
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 5, 2009

                  > +1
                  >
                  > Creating a special group would mean a smaller user pool and probably
                  > only academics who are interested in research which creates an
                  > undesirable bias. I understand where George is coming from, but I
                  > think that it is more important for academics to have access to a
                  > broad pool of users in their field than to limit the annoyance factor
                  > from this type of message. We are all able to set filters if so
                  > inclined.

                  I am not so much annoyed by the requests themselves, but rather by the
                  fact that academic standards are so low that these fishing expeditions
                  in these and other murky waters constitute sanctioned student research
                  at so many institutions.

                  Steven Gordon, Phd
                • eisha_hasnain
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 6, 2009
                    Dear Kim,

                    Thanks for your suggestions.
                    I am very thankful that you looked at my questions and spotted the ones which are confusing. Your suggestions are really helpful for further improvements. In this response I try my level best to clarify your issues.

                    ---- It will take both situations.

                    -----Yes you are right.

                    > 18) Now imagine that you are running a database development project and one of
                    your team
                    > keeps coming to you with problems

                    Do you mean "one of your team _members_"?

                    ---yes you are right again and I updated the questionnaire with team members instead of team.

                    > - the coders are not sticking to a rigorous standard; the documentation is
                    unclear and is
                    > well behind schedule, the coffee in the new vending machine is terrible…
                    > This person is becoming very unhappy with the project and the rest of the team
                    is
                    > developing a hearty dislike of the pessimistic reports on their performance.

                    I think the options to question 18 describe some ways of tackling this
                    problem, but not every possible action plan. I'm not sure what kind of
                    information you are trying to extract from the response, but maybe you
                    could compose another, clearer question that provides the same
                    information for you?

                    ---Thanks for this suggestion as well. I will keep this in mind for later part of the study.

                    Also, many of the multiple choice question have an "Other" option that
                    I can answer Strongly Agree to Strongly Disagree on. Not sure what
                    that means, unless I can enter what I mean by "Other".

                    ----Again "Other" option is important in later part of the study. Where I am going to do qualitative analysis in detail.

                    Regards,
                    Eisha
                  • Abraham Rodriguez Mota
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 7, 2009
                      Dear all,

                      I agree with the idea that surveys when not well planned can be annoying
                      (for both researchers and responders). But is it not the case that in this
                      group Communication, Feedback, Simplicity and Courage are important values?
                      This is a good excuse to ask whether the main conflicts and difficulties are
                      in the system or in the participants (talking about XP implementation, of
                      course)?

                      All the best
                      Abraham
                      On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 2:28 PM, eisha_hasnain <eisha_hasnain@...>wrote:

                      > Dear Kim,
                      >
                      > Thanks for your suggestions.
                      > I am very thankful that you looked at my questions and spotted the ones
                      > which are confusing. Your suggestions are really helpful for further
                      > improvements. In this response I try my level best to clarify your issues.
                      >
                      > Hello Eisha,
                      >
                      > I had trouble understanding some of the questions:
                      >
                      > > 11) How often do you meet each other, other than for work purposes?
                      >
                      > Do you mean outside of work? Or at work?
                      >
                      > ---- It will take both situations.
                      >
                      > > 15) Imagine the following situation:
                      > > You are part of a group, which have to complete its task on time.
                      > > However, group was unable to finish its target on time because:
                      >
                      > Not sure what you are asking here... What I think is the most likely
                      > cause of not finishing on time?
                      >
                      > -----Yes you are right.
                      >
                      > > 18) Now imagine that you are running a database development project and
                      > one of
                      > your team
                      > > keeps coming to you with problems
                      >
                      > Do you mean "one of your team _members_"?
                      >
                      > ---yes you are right again and I updated the questionnaire with team
                      > members instead of team.
                      >
                      > > - the coders are not sticking to a rigorous standard; the documentation
                      > is
                      > unclear and is
                      > > well behind schedule, the coffee in the new vending machine is terrible�
                      > > This person is becoming very unhappy with the project and the rest of the
                      > team
                      > is
                      > > developing a hearty dislike of the pessimistic reports on their
                      > performance.
                      >
                      > I think the options to question 18 describe some ways of tackling this
                      > problem, but not every possible action plan. I'm not sure what kind of
                      > information you are trying to extract from the response, but maybe you
                      > could compose another, clearer question that provides the same
                      > information for you?
                      >
                      > ---Thanks for this suggestion as well. I will keep this in mind for later
                      > part of the study.
                      >
                      > Also, many of the multiple choice question have an "Other" option that
                      > I can answer Strongly Agree to Strongly Disagree on. Not sure what
                      > that means, unless I can enter what I mean by "Other".
                      >
                      > ----Again "Other" option is important in later part of the study. Where I
                      > am going to do qualitative analysis in detail.
                      >
                      > Regards,
                      > Eisha

                    • Steven Gordon
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 7, 2009
                        If a student wants feedback in this regard, mine will always be:

                        Collecting answers from a promiscuously uncontrolled sampling does not
                        constitute valid research in software engineering. It is nothing but
                        an undisciplined fishing expedition. In many cases, this is just a
                        way to collect data to give students to opportunity to prove to their
                        committee that they can perform statistical analysis, even though the
                        data collection being biased in totally undetectable ways makes the
                        results of any statistical analysis completely invalid.

                        Furthermore, surveys collect opinions and attitudes, not objective
                        facts. Maybe, if you were in a field where opinion is fact (such as
                        marketing), then a survey could produce useful information, but not in
                        software engineering, or even most serious social sciences.

                        If a researcher wants to understand agile software development, there
                        is no way to avoid the hard work of finding a statistically sufficient
                        number of agile projects, carefully observe the relevant aspects of
                        how those projects are working, collect relevant hard data scrubbed of
                        any proprietary information, and surveying the members of those
                        project teams (which would be a controlled sample whose biases can be
                        accounted for).

                        Steven Gordon, PhD

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 12, 2009
                          I wrote:
                          > eisha_hasnain wrote:
                          >
                          >> Hello,
                          >>
                          >> I am a student at Brunel University London. I invite you to complete the Software Development Research Questionnaire, which
                          >>

                          > We get a lot of these. I think it's time to split them off into their
                          > own email list.
                          >
                          > Name suggestions?
                          >
                          > --George <gpaci@...>
                          >
                          > Software consultant with special expertise in
                          > general purpose GPU (GPGPU) computing
                          >
                          > PS: Vg'f n wbxr.

                          It seems I've been too subtle (there's a first time for everything).
                          "Vg'f n wbxr" is not Klingon; it's the triple-rot-13-encrypted
                          ciphertext of "It's a joke."

                          Think about it: the entire point of such requests is to reach *the*
                          *people on this list*.

                          --George <gpaci at tiac dot net>

                          PS: re: triple-rot-13: "Vg'f n wbxr."