Re: Pair Programming problem: 3 pros 2 cons. What to do?

  • Michael Dubakov
    Message 1 of 42 , Jun 3, 2009
      PP was suggested by Scrum master and team agreed to try it for awhile. On a retrospective meeting 1 month later majority of the team members agreed to keep this practice. But now 2 developers criticize PP.

      The goals of PP were:
      1. Improve code quality and power complex refactorings
      2. Knowledge exchange

      The arguments against PP are:

      1. "We feel MUCH less productive working in pairs"
      2. "Some stories are too easy to work on in pairs"
      3. "PP sucks, I don't like it"

      Of course there was a meeting with PP best practices, etc.
      We've setup 2 new large desks with large monitors and super-fast workstations (strange enough, it did not work as a motivator)

      > How did you frame your decision making process? Was it majority vote? Consensus? Leader decides with input? Or something else? I ask because depending on what were the ground rules for making decisions influences how you can take your next step.
      >
      > Carlton

    • Charlie Poole
      Message 42 of 42 , Jun 9, 2009
        Also, do *not* just decide to pair and do it without
        some in-depth discussion of how to do it. Developers
        tend to think it's "obvious" but it isn't always so.

        Charlie