Software Development Research Questionnaire

  • eisha_hasnain
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 3, 2009
      Hello,

      I am a student at Brunel University London. I invite you to complete the Software Development Research Questionnaire, which will be the part of a PhD thesis, whose purpose is to better understand social issues of software developer.

      Before you do, we want you to know that:
      • Your participation is entirely voluntary.
      • If you choose to complete the questionnaire now, you may withdraw at any time for any reason.
      • The results will be written up as a scientific paper.

      The questionnaire is available at
      http://www.kwiksurveys.com/online-survey.php?surveyID=HOKNL_89a1ef
      I would really appreciate your input on this issue.

      If participants have any concerns or complaints regarding this research project, he/she can directly contact to siscm-srec@... or Dr Annette Payne Tel. No. 00441895266295.'

      With Regards,
      Eisha Hasnain
    • Kim Gräsman
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 3, 2009
        Hello Eisha,

        I had trouble understanding some of the questions:

        > 11) How often do you meet each other, other than for work purposes?

        Do you mean outside of work? Or at work?

        > 15) Imagine the following situation:
        > You are part of a group, which have to complete its task on time.
        > However, group was unable to finish its target on time because:

        Not sure what you are asking here... What I think is the most likely
        cause of not finishing on time?

        > 18) Now imagine that you are running a database development project and one of your team
        > keeps coming to you with problems

        Do you mean "one of your team _members_"?

        > - the coders are not sticking to a rigorous standard; the documentation is unclear and is
        > well behind schedule, the coffee in the new vending machine is terrible…
        > This person is becoming very unhappy with the project and the rest of the team is
        > developing a hearty dislike of the pessimistic reports on their performance.

        I think the options to question 18 describe some ways of tackling this
        problem, but not every possible action plan. I'm not sure what kind of
        information you are trying to extract from the response, but maybe you
        could compose another, clearer question that provides the same
        information for you?

        Also, many of the multiple choice question have an "Other" option that
        I can answer Strongly Agree to Strongly Disagree on. Not sure what
        that means, unless I can enter what I mean by "Other".

        Thanks,
        - Kim

        On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 00:01, eisha_hasnain <eisha_hasnain@...> wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > I am a student at Brunel University London. I invite you to complete the Software Development Research Questionnaire, which will be the part of a PhD thesis, whose purpose is to better understand social issues of software developer.
        >
        > Before you do, we want you to know that:
        > • Your participation is entirely voluntary.
        > • If you choose to complete the questionnaire now, you may withdraw at any time for any reason.
        > • The results will be written up as a scientific paper.
        >
        > The questionnaire is available at
        > http://www.kwiksurveys.com/online-survey.php?surveyID=HOKNL_89a1ef
        > I would really appreciate your input on this issue.
        >
        > If participants have any concerns or complaints regarding this research project, he/she can directly contact to siscm-srec@... or Dr Annette Payne Tel. No. 00441895266295.'
        >
        > With Regards,
        > Eisha Hasnain
      • George Paci
        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 5, 2009
          eisha_hasnain wrote:
          > Hello,
          >
          > I am a student at Brunel University London. I invite you to complete the Software Development Research Questionnaire, which

          We get a lot of these. I think it's time to split them off into their
          own email list.

          Name suggestions?

          --George <gpaci@...>

          Software consultant with special expertise in
          general purpose GPU (GPGPU) computing

          PS: Vg'f n wbxr.
        • Steven Gordon
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 5, 2009
            On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 9:29 AM, George Paci <gpaci@...> wrote:

            > eisha_hasnain wrote:
            >> Hello,
            >>
            >> I am a student at Brunel University London. I invite you to complete the
            >> Software Development Research Questionnaire, which
            >
            > We get a lot of these. I think it's time to split them off into their
            > own email list.
            >
            > Name suggestions?

            Oxymoronic research.

            > --George <gpaci@...>
            >
            > Software consultant with special expertise in
            > general purpose GPU (GPGPU) computing
            >
            > PS: Vg'f n wbxr.

          • Phlip
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 5, 2009
              George Paci wrote:

              > eisha_hasnain wrote:

              >> Hello,

              >> I am a student at Brunel University London. I invite you to complete the Software Development Research Questionnaire, which

              > We get a lot of these. I think it's time to split them off into their
              > own email list.

              Disagree. While someone thinks of a better educational system in general -
              besides just Renaissance paperwork concepts mapped onto the Interthing - what
              the kids don't need is all the surveys answered by the same pool of opinionated
              practitioners with too much time on their hands.

              An announce group? of course. But the education happens when a question
              irritates someone here who might not have signed up for the Agile Polls list...

              --
              Phlip
            • Bill Caputo
              Message 6 of 12 , Jun 5, 2009
                On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 3:37 PM, Phlip<phlip2005@...> wrote:
                > [...]Renaissance paperwork concepts mapped onto the Interthing[...]

                Nice!
              • Adam Sroka
                Message 7 of 12 , Jun 5, 2009
                  On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 1:37 PM, Phlip<phlip2005@...> wrote:

                  > George Paci wrote:
                  >
                  >> eisha_hasnain wrote:
                  >
                  >>> Hello,
                  >
                  >>> I am a student at Brunel University London. I invite you to complete the
                  >>> Software Development Research Questionnaire, which
                  >
                  >> We get a lot of these. I think it's time to split them off into their
                  >> own email list.
                  >
                  > Disagree. While someone thinks of a better educational system in general -
                  > besides just Renaissance paperwork concepts mapped onto the Interthing -
                  > what
                  > the kids don't need is all the surveys answered by the same pool of
                  > opinionated
                  > practitioners with too much time on their hands.
                  >
                  > An announce group? of course. But the education happens when a question
                  > irritates someone here who might not have signed up for the Agile Polls
                  > list...

                  +1

                  Creating a special group would mean a smaller user pool and probably
                  only academics who are interested in research which creates an
                  undesirable bias. I understand where George is coming from, but I
                  think that it is more important for academics to have access to a
                  broad pool of users in their field than to limit the annoyance factor
                  from this type of message. We are all able to set filters if so
                  inclined.
                • Steven Gordon
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jun 5, 2009

                    > +1
                    >
                    > Creating a special group would mean a smaller user pool and probably
                    > only academics who are interested in research which creates an
                    > undesirable bias. I understand where George is coming from, but I
                    > think that it is more important for academics to have access to a
                    > broad pool of users in their field than to limit the annoyance factor
                    > from this type of message. We are all able to set filters if so
                    > inclined.

                    I am not so much annoyed by the requests themselves, but rather by the
                    fact that academic standards are so low that these fishing expeditions
                    in these and other murky waters constitute sanctioned student research
                    at so many institutions.

                    Steven Gordon, Phd
                  • eisha_hasnain
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jun 6, 2009
                      Dear Kim,

                      Thanks for your suggestions.
                      I am very thankful that you looked at my questions and spotted the ones which are confusing. Your suggestions are really helpful for further improvements. In this response I try my level best to clarify your issues.

                      ---- It will take both situations.

                      -----Yes you are right.

                      > 18) Now imagine that you are running a database development project and one of
                      your team
                      > keeps coming to you with problems

                      Do you mean "one of your team _members_"?

                      ---yes you are right again and I updated the questionnaire with team members instead of team.

                      > - the coders are not sticking to a rigorous standard; the documentation is
                      unclear and is
                      > well behind schedule, the coffee in the new vending machine is terrible…
                      > This person is becoming very unhappy with the project and the rest of the team
                      is
                      > developing a hearty dislike of the pessimistic reports on their performance.

                      I think the options to question 18 describe some ways of tackling this
                      problem, but not every possible action plan. I'm not sure what kind of
                      information you are trying to extract from the response, but maybe you
                      could compose another, clearer question that provides the same
                      information for you?

                      ---Thanks for this suggestion as well. I will keep this in mind for later part of the study.

                      Also, many of the multiple choice question have an "Other" option that
                      I can answer Strongly Agree to Strongly Disagree on. Not sure what
                      that means, unless I can enter what I mean by "Other".

                      ----Again "Other" option is important in later part of the study. Where I am going to do qualitative analysis in detail.

                      Regards,
                      Eisha
                    • Abraham Rodriguez Mota
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jun 7, 2009
                        Dear all,

                        I agree with the idea that surveys when not well planned can be annoying
                        (for both researchers and responders). But is it not the case that in this
                        group Communication, Feedback, Simplicity and Courage are important values?
                        This is a good excuse to ask whether the main conflicts and difficulties are
                        in the system or in the participants (talking about XP implementation, of
                        course)?

                        All the best
                        Abraham
                        On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 2:28 PM, eisha_hasnain <eisha_hasnain@...>wrote:

                        > Dear Kim,
                        >
                        > Thanks for your suggestions.
                        > I am very thankful that you looked at my questions and spotted the ones
                        > which are confusing. Your suggestions are really helpful for further
                        > improvements. In this response I try my level best to clarify your issues.
                        >
                        > Hello Eisha,
                        >
                        > I had trouble understanding some of the questions:
                        >
                        > > 11) How often do you meet each other, other than for work purposes?
                        >
                        > Do you mean outside of work? Or at work?
                        >
                        > ---- It will take both situations.
                        >
                        > > 15) Imagine the following situation:
                        > > You are part of a group, which have to complete its task on time.
                        > > However, group was unable to finish its target on time because:
                        >
                        > Not sure what you are asking here... What I think is the most likely
                        > cause of not finishing on time?
                        >
                        > -----Yes you are right.
                        >
                        > > 18) Now imagine that you are running a database development project and
                        > one of
                        > your team
                        > > keeps coming to you with problems
                        >
                        > Do you mean "one of your team _members_"?
                        >
                        > ---yes you are right again and I updated the questionnaire with team
                        > members instead of team.
                        >
                        > > - the coders are not sticking to a rigorous standard; the documentation
                        > is
                        > unclear and is
                        > > well behind schedule, the coffee in the new vending machine is terrible�
                        > > This person is becoming very unhappy with the project and the rest of the
                        > team
                        > is
                        > > developing a hearty dislike of the pessimistic reports on their
                        > performance.
                        >
                        > I think the options to question 18 describe some ways of tackling this
                        > problem, but not every possible action plan. I'm not sure what kind of
                        > information you are trying to extract from the response, but maybe you
                        > could compose another, clearer question that provides the same
                        > information for you?
                        >
                        > ---Thanks for this suggestion as well. I will keep this in mind for later
                        > part of the study.
                        >
                        > Also, many of the multiple choice question have an "Other" option that
                        > I can answer Strongly Agree to Strongly Disagree on. Not sure what
                        > that means, unless I can enter what I mean by "Other".
                        >
                        > ----Again "Other" option is important in later part of the study. Where I
                        > am going to do qualitative analysis in detail.
                        >
                        > Regards,
                        > Eisha

                      • Steven Gordon
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jun 7, 2009
                          If a student wants feedback in this regard, mine will always be:

                          Collecting answers from a promiscuously uncontrolled sampling does not
                          constitute valid research in software engineering. It is nothing but
                          an undisciplined fishing expedition. In many cases, this is just a
                          way to collect data to give students to opportunity to prove to their
                          committee that they can perform statistical analysis, even though the
                          data collection being biased in totally undetectable ways makes the
                          results of any statistical analysis completely invalid.

                          Furthermore, surveys collect opinions and attitudes, not objective
                          facts. Maybe, if you were in a field where opinion is fact (such as
                          marketing), then a survey could produce useful information, but not in
                          software engineering, or even most serious social sciences.

                          If a researcher wants to understand agile software development, there
                          is no way to avoid the hard work of finding a statistically sufficient
                          number of agile projects, carefully observe the relevant aspects of
                          how those projects are working, collect relevant hard data scrubbed of
                          any proprietary information, and surveying the members of those
                          project teams (which would be a controlled sample whose biases can be
                          accounted for).

                          Steven Gordon, PhD

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jun 12, 2009
                            I wrote:
                            > eisha_hasnain wrote:
                            >
                            >> Hello,
                            >>
                            >> I am a student at Brunel University London. I invite you to complete the Software Development Research Questionnaire, which
                            >>

                            > We get a lot of these. I think it's time to split them off into their
                            > own email list.
                            >
                            > Name suggestions?
                            >
                            > --George <gpaci@...>
                            >
                            > Software consultant with special expertise in
                            > general purpose GPU (GPGPU) computing
                            >
                            > PS: Vg'f n wbxr.

                            It seems I've been too subtle (there's a first time for everything).
                            "Vg'f n wbxr" is not Klingon; it's the triple-rot-13-encrypted
                            ciphertext of "It's a joke."

                            Think about it: the entire point of such requests is to reach *the*
                            *people on this list*.

                            --George <gpaci at tiac dot net>

                            PS: re: triple-rot-13: "Vg'f n wbxr."