Need Help and Support in my R&D Efforts

  • S M Kripanidhi
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 3, 2009
      I have been a core XPiete for over a decade now and have been a purist at that. I have been trying my best to propogate the Values and Principles of Agile in India since 2001 to the best of my ability.

      Over the last couple of years, I have been very frustrated in the way organizations are understanding and implementing the Values and Principles of Agile in their organizations upside down and discrediting Agile for it.

      After a detailed introspection with many of my such customers, I found that we may have to first empethatically understand the constraints and limitations in large traditional organizations, within which they are trying to embrace Agile. Most of the times these organizations are unable to create and sustain an Agile Culture that is so desparately needed for Agile to survive.

      Many Agile Evangelists have identified these problems and have called it "ScrumBut" (Ken Schwaber), "Flaccid Scrum" (Martin Fowler), "Waterscrum" and sometimes "ScrummerFall" (http://blogs.msdn.com/nickmalik/archive/2007/06/04/waterscrum-vs-scrummerfall.aspx ). People in these organizations heart of heart feel hypocritical and ashamed too, seeing Agile Practices being implemented upside down in their organizations. But none of the Agile Evangelists have come forward to solve this problem in a more practical and feasible manner for these organizations and have left them alone writhing in pain.

      I am trying to research and explore if we could find a better way to address these pain areas in such large software product development organizations, who in their true earnest, wish to improve but do not find Agile working for them, within their own cultural limitations and constraints. What they need to do to improve, may not be core Agile, but something similar that works for them, in their contexts.

      I am aspiring to build a new set of Practices or a "Practice Framework" for such large traditional software product organizations which they can reference and use easily and conveniently accross their entities, within their own traditional organizational environment and hierachial culture and still realize value in terms of being able to improve their business efficiency and effectiveness.

      I have set up a blog site at http://waterfallforscrum.blogspot.com to speculate, collaborate and learn more in this direction. I seek help from all of you to discuss how to make this possible. I am currently evolving a Product Vision and a speculating over a hypothetical set of Stakeholder Wish-lists that may be expected out of this in its context. Please view my blogs and contribute your wisdom to help me take this further to its logical end.

      Thanks

      Kripanidhi
      http://www.scrumtales.blogspot.com
      http://www.waterfallforscrum.blogspot.com
    • S M Kripanidhi
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 4, 2009
        I am sorry for the broken URL given in my post below. Here is correct one:

        http://scrumforwaterfall.blogspot.com/

        Kripanidhi