Re: [XP] Semler MIT Video

  • geoffrey_slinker
    Message 1 of 4 , Jun 3, 2009
      I will include the text here and you could also just drag the position indicator of the video control.

      At about 28:25:

      --------------
      (Ricard Semler speaking about Semco)

      We don't know where we are going and we would rather not pretend that we do know...

      We put together a one year budget and we found that all the good things were going to happen in the second half so we said take out the second half and tell me what you would do if you only have six months. And that changes dramatically how people see things. And now they have to have a rolling rationale of the numbers that people can really talk to... talking on specific numbers for more than six months is improbable. I want you to think about the future a heck of a lot but don't right it down please because if you write it down we have to follow it (he spoke earlier about how people like to follow things)... all of our meetings are on a voluntary basis...

      --------------

      The entire video is worth the watch. I have searched the web for a transcript and can not find one but surely one exists.

      Geoff
    • George Paci
      Message 2 of 4 , Jun 5, 2009
        > We put together a one year budget and we found that all the good things were going to happen in the second half so we said take out the second half and tell me what you would do if you only have six months.
        That's classic Semler. Asking good questions didn't die with that
        hemlock smoothie.

        I actually wonder what kind of process/dialog/analysis he glosses over
        with "and we found that". It would probably be useful, and definitely
        entertaining. Anyway, we end up with a good arrow for the quiver:

        "In this plan, when do the benefits (e.g. realized revenue) happen? Can
        we make some of them happen sooner?"

        Come to think of it, I'm not entirely certain that's not in the existing
        XP literature.

        A related question is, "What if we plan ahead only up to the first Good
        Thing?" This will probably help tease out any stuff that doesn't
        actually help get you there.

        --George <gpaci@...>

        Software consultant with special expertise in
        general purpose GPU (GPGPU) computing