Re: Bright lines (was Re: [XP] Kent Beck says write tests when they make sense)

  • Adam Sroka
    Message 1 of 51 , May 19 2:53 PM
      On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 12:35 AM, Laurent Bossavit <laurent@...> wrote:

      >> If I don't stick with test first, then I rarely do test after. So,
      >> it's
      >> important to me to have some clear guidelines on when it's ok to
      >> skip the
      >> test, or to stay more binary on it and say it's only ok for a spike!
      >
      > Lawyers call this a "bright line", a rule that is more clearly and
      > succinctly expressed than other rules of the same family and which is
      > therefore easier to follow and enforce.

      Great point. I found myself listening to this thread and wondering
      what I would tell someone who was still learning TDD about this. The
      answer is, I would tell them to keep trying to write the test first no
      matter how hard or time consuming it seemed.

      As general advice, it is a bad idea to try to disarm a nuclear bomb
      with a paperclip and chewing gum. However, when MacGyver does it I am
      satisfied that he considered the options available and made an
      educated decision.

      I am sure that Kent did the right thing for his situation based on his
      knowledge, experience, and business acumen. I don't have enough
      information to know if I would have done the same thing he did. I do
      know that I have never encountered a situation where I thought a team
      was writing too many tests, but I have encountered many situations
      where teams or individuals were writing too few tests. So, as general
      advice I would say to write the test.
    • Adam Sroka
      Message 51 of 51 , May 19 2:53 PM