Re: [XP] Re: Certification on eXtreme Programming

  • John Maxwell
    Message 1 of 94 , May 4, 2009
      On 05/04/09 02:22:36, Olof Bjarnason wrote:
      > [Rant: Certification in general just does not work today in the s/w
      > industry. I don't trust certified ppl, in fact I look for people that
      > are not certified because a certification would imply a belief in
      > todays certification systems, which does not work and thus degrades
      > the value of the applicant in my eyes.
      >
      > Now the certification Ron and Chet does might be different, I don't
      > really know the certification process (I live in Sweden and haven't
      > bump in to anyone certified by them).]

      +1/2

      I don't go quite as far as Olof, but seing a list of certifications on
      a candidate's resume is a definite downcheck. I've recommended hiring
      people with various certifications on a couple occasions, but it's been
      in spite of the certifications, not because of them.

      -John

      --
      John Maxwell (jmax@...)
      "Croissants stress me out."
      Message 94 of 94 , May 8, 2009
        On 6 May 2009, at 04:08, Ron Jeffries wrote:

        > Hello, Adrian. On Tuesday, May 5, 2009, at 11:37:58 AM, you wrote:
        >
        >> That said, my perception is that the odds of getting a bad candidate
        >> at interview increase if they have certifications listed on their
        >> resume.
        >
        >> My post hoc rationalisation for this experiences is not so much
        >> related to the certification programme itself (although many of them
        >> have severe problems), but to the sort of folk they can attract.
        >
        >> The less creative, by-the-book, list-following developer seems to see
        >> certification programmes as a way to prove their competence. The more
        >> creative, problem-oriented, passionate developers seem to spend their
        >> free chunk of career development time building something cool, or
        >> learning erlang, or contributing to open source projects or...
        >
        > Interesting model. I can see how it might be.

        Not sure that it is mind - I'm often wrong :)

        Adrian