Re: [XP] Certification on eXtreme Programming

  • Joshua Kerievsky
    Message 1 of 94 , May 3, 2009
      On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 5:05 PM, jo_andp <jo_andp@...> wrote:

      > What I meant was basically if we can't get a coach, how can I avoid get
      > into a mess when doing XP ? Thannks in advance

      Are you in Spain, Estonia or someplace else? Not sure what .es is in your
      email address.

      In my experience, an intensive workshop is a great way to get started.
      There are many XP practitioners/instructors around - so perhaps they can
      steer you to such a class. Also, XP2009 (http://www2.xp2009.org/xp2009/)
      will happen in Sardinia later this month.

      Can you afford getting some books? It would be helpful to read a few good
      ones before starting, perhaps in a study group format. Extreme Programming
      Explained 1st- and/or 2nd edition would be good. Test-Driven is another
      good one.

      There is a growing body of free/not free online learning solutions that
      folks here can tell you about. See my sig to learn about the XP eLearning
      we provide.

      You can also use this email list to get answers to questions and help you
      steer the way. Just be prepared for lively discussions, as we don't always
      agree on the advice folks give.

      Hope that helps.

      --
      best regards,
      jk

      Industrial Logic, Inc.
      Joshua Kerievsky
      Founder, Extreme Programmer & Coach
      http://industriallogic.com
      866-540-8336 (toll free)
      510-540-8336 (phone)
      Berkeley, California

      eLearning in Test-Driven Development, Testing Legacy Code, Refactoring, Code
      Smells and more at http://industriallogic.com/elearning

    • Adrian Howard
      Message 94 of 94 , May 8, 2009
        On 6 May 2009, at 04:08, Ron Jeffries wrote:

        > Hello, Adrian. On Tuesday, May 5, 2009, at 11:37:58 AM, you wrote:
        >
        >> That said, my perception is that the odds of getting a bad candidate
        >> at interview increase if they have certifications listed on their
        >> resume.
        >
        >> My post hoc rationalisation for this experiences is not so much
        >> related to the certification programme itself (although many of them
        >> have severe problems), but to the sort of folk they can attract.
        >
        >> The less creative, by-the-book, list-following developer seems to see
        >> certification programmes as a way to prove their competence. The more
        >> creative, problem-oriented, passionate developers seem to spend their
        >> free chunk of career development time building something cool, or
        >> learning erlang, or contributing to open source projects or...
        >
        > Interesting model. I can see how it might be.

        Not sure that it is mind - I'm often wrong :)

        Adrian