Re: Certification on eXtreme Programming

  • Phlip
    Message 1 of 94 , May 3, 2009
      jo_andp wrote:

      > Hello, I would like to know if there is out there any kind of
      > certification on Agile specific eXtreme Programming or just Agile?

      No; and this is a frequently asked question.

      A certification would reward those who are good at gaming certifications,
      and punish those who are better at their aspect of Agile, and who should be
      hired instead.

      (Certification is also a huge marketing gimmick for big corporations, like
      Oracle/Sun, MS, or RedHat...)

      All the problems with certification can be summed up in one question: If you
      find yourself _de_certified, for whatever reason, to whom do you appeal?
      Certification creates three social castes - the untouchable uncertified, the
      ranks of the certified, and the privileged elite who have the power to
      de-certify anyone who questions their authority.

      Pass!

      --
      Phlip
      http://flea.sourceforge.net/resume.html
      Message 94 of 94 , May 8, 2009
        On 6 May 2009, at 04:08, Ron Jeffries wrote:

        > Hello, Adrian. On Tuesday, May 5, 2009, at 11:37:58 AM, you wrote:
        >
        >> That said, my perception is that the odds of getting a bad candidate
        >> at interview increase if they have certifications listed on their
        >> resume.
        >
        >> My post hoc rationalisation for this experiences is not so much
        >> related to the certification programme itself (although many of them
        >> have severe problems), but to the sort of folk they can attract.
        >
        >> The less creative, by-the-book, list-following developer seems to see
        >> certification programmes as a way to prove their competence. The more
        >> creative, problem-oriented, passionate developers seem to spend their
        >> free chunk of career development time building something cool, or
        >> learning erlang, or contributing to open source projects or...
        >
        > Interesting model. I can see how it might be.

        Not sure that it is mind - I'm often wrong :)

        Adrian