calculating story points

  • Justin Daubenmire
    Message 1 of 37 , Apr 29 3:42 AM
      All,

      Well, yesterday me and the team wrote a new round of story cards and assigned story points to the cards as a team.

      This is for a new project, and our second stab at using story cards as a team.

      We decided to call 1 story point 1 ideal day of work for this round.

      We have set a 2 week iteration mark to get an idea of how many storypoints we can complete in two weeks.

      My question is this...

      If I finish a story card with 3 points in 1 day, and I grab another story card with 2 points and finish it in the same day, do I count that as 5 story points even though I finished both cards in 1 day?

      or....

      Do I go back to the original cards and adjust them down to .5 (half a day) and .5 to get a more accurate story point count for the cards?

      Regards,
      Justin

    • Giancarlo Succi
      Message 37 of 37 , May 5, 2009
        ***Summer School on Applied Software Process Management and Testing***
        July 6-10
        Bozen/Bolzano, Italy
        Registration open: http://www.case.unibz.it/summer_school
        Grants available to support participants (see below the Grants section).

        Goals
        The Summer School on Applied Software Process Management and Testing
        is intended for young researchers (including PhD students and last
        year Master students) who want to get a solid knowledge doubled by
        hands-on experience regarding approaches to understanding, analyzing
        and effectively managing the software development process. The school
        is focused on practical experience doubled by theory as a solid
        foundation. Thus, all the lectures are followed by labs where
        participants can apply the concepts presented. The limited number of
        participants and the small size of the lab groups favors extensive
        interaction between the participants and the speakers.

        Speakers and topics:
        http://www.case.unibz.it/index.php/Table/CASE-Summer-School-Topics-and-Speakers/
        Speakers are internationally recognized experts in the field:
        · Prof. Adam Porter, University of Maryland, USA, http://www.cs.umd.edu/~aporter/

        · Prof. Gerardo Canfora, University of Sannio, Italy, http://plone.rcost.unisannio.it/canfora

        · Eng. Jutta Eckstein, IT Communication, Germany, http://www.jeckstein.de/

        · Prof. Giancarlo Succi, Free University of Bozen-Bolzano,
        Italy, www.case.unibz.it

        · Prof. Alberto Sillitti, Free University of Bozen-Bolzano,
        Italy, www.case.unibz.it

        · Prof. Barbara Russo, Free University of Bozen-Bolzano,
        Italy, www.case.unibz.it

        How to apply?
        Applicants should send their resumes together with a letter of
        recommendation, a letter of motivation and a short description of the
        topic of their PhD or Master studies to the e-mail address contact-case@...
        . Additional details regarding the registration procedure are
        available at the following address:
        http://www.case.unibz.it/index.php/Table/CASE-Summer-School-Registration/

        Venue
        The Summer School on Applied Software Process Management and Testing
        will be held in the charming town of Bolzano/Bozen, in the Italian
        Alps, easily reachable by plane (from Rome), by car or by train. More
        details on how to get there can be found on the website at the
        following address:http://www.case.unibz.it/index.php/Table/CASE-Summer-School-Venue-and-Travel/

        Grants
        To offer equal opportunities to all students, the Summer School
        supports admitted participants with the costs of registration fee,
        boarding, and accommodation. Depending on each individual case,
        limited grants are also available to reimburse the participants
        (partially or totally) for their travel costs. Admitted applicants
        will be asked for more details in order to assess each particular case
        and will be informed on the amount of grant available. To ensure the
        high-quality of training offered and a great interaction between all
        participants and the speakers, the Summer School can award
        participation only to a limited number of applicants.
        Important Dates
        Deadline for registration: 22nd May 2009
        Notice of acceptance: 29th May 2009

        Inquiries and applications can be sent by e-mail to contact-case@...
        or to:

        Irina Diana Coman, Eng., PhD