[XP] Re: ANN: Agile Roots conference, June 15-16, Salt Lake City

  • davenicolette
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 23, 2009
      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Chris Wheeler <christopher.wheeler@...> wrote:
      > On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 8:18 AM, davenicolette <dnicolet@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Sure. The adoption of agile is growing in both the following ways:
      > >
      > > 1. Dissolving
      > > 2. Ossifying
      > >
      > Dave, why the brief and mysterious responses? Seems somewhat unlike your
      > normal persona.
      > Chris.

      Yes, I'm usually far too verbose. I think it's off-putting for many people.

      "Dissolving." As agile adoption proceeds, more and more people are becoming familiar with thinking in ways that are consistent with agile values and principles. Increasingly, when we start to talk about agile concepts, we get a response like "So what's the big deal? That's not so different from what we're doing already." This is a good thing. It means agile thinking has started to penetrate deeply. Specific agile practices maybe not so much, but basic ideas, yes. So, that's one way agile adoption is increasing. One way we'll know we've been successful is that the word "agile" no longer means anything special or different. It will have become, simply, normal.

      "Ossifying." When agile became the popular buzzword of the week, everyone and his dog re-framed whatever they were already selling to conform with agile buzzwords and catch-phrases. Today, there are all kinds of people out there selling some sort of branded product or service they call "agile." These products and services are usually very rigidly defined and inflexible. This is another form of "adoption." It's a good thing for people and companies who are trying to sell products and services, even if it's not so great for their customers.

      Thus, two very different manifestations of "agile adoption." Both represent success by some definition.