Re: [XP] A different scheme for estimating

  • Justin Daubenmire
    Message 1 of 58 , Apr 6, 2009
      Hi Andy,

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: andy.pickler
      I think I am seeing the real problem with my environment and why it drives the (perceived) need for these charts. Individuals are spread in individual offices around the program, making "team boards" less helpful or realistic (along with the fact that there is no clear place to put them). Additionally the traditional command-and-control management feels the need to know how the teams are doing. It wouldn't be feasible for them to walk around the various team boards.

      I need to do some more thinking on this and see how in my environment we could help the team out the most (shared, visible charts being the goal) while still meeting the needs of management. I realize that numbers and graphs in software are not as helpful to the team as the index card team board (I've done both approaches on different programs).

      See my post "extreme blind programming update" on using network folders and text files as a possible dispersed team solution.

      People in various parts of the building/office could access the notes folder on the network. Our team set it up like this:

      \\server\notes

      in the notes folder is the project name/names:

      notes\Project1
      notes\Project2

      In each project folder is a Pending, In Progress, and Completed folder. Our PM monitors the completed folder from her desk looking over the folder to see what completed cards she can work on and also what is in progress and pending.

      Cards are .txt files jotted down in notepad. So you'd see:

      \\ServerName\Notes\ProjectName\Pending
      \\ServerName\Notes\ProjectName\In Progress
      \\ServerName\Notes\ProjectName\Completed

      My team names the text file (story card) after the name of the story such as "pay with a credit card.txt" or "can transfer funds over web service.txt" etc.

      When a team player wants to take on a story, they cut it from the pending folder and paste it into the in progress folder. Likewise, when an in progress story is completed, they cut it and paste it into the completed folder which our pm looks at.

      Regards,
      Justin

    • Justin Daubenmire
      Message 58 of 58 , Apr 6, 2009