Re: xp and svn - limits to the number of versions

  • Lance Walton
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 6, 2009
      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Buddha Buck <blaisepascal@...> wrote:

      > Semi-seriously.... Is there any reason to not do shift-work? 6
      > shifts of programmers, starting times staggered 4 hours apart, a
      > general rule to not pair with someone in your own shift (which (a)
      > forces pairs to shuffle every 4 hours, and (b) pushes knowledge
      > forward to the "next" team in a routine manner)?

      There are two reasons I can think of:

      1.There is good evidence to show that people who work at night and sleep during the day generally don't perform as well as those who follow the more normal convention. I can't cite learned journals on the subject. Just stuff I've read as I've gone along.

      2. The only reason to do shift work is if you are more constrained on some resource han you are on the people. The only resources in this case would be space or equipment. Considering that equipment would be a small fraction of the cost of the people, that would be a poor reason. Space might be a better one. But a better way to deal with this would be to let some of your people work at home (gasp) or have a satellite office outside of major cities where the space is cheaper. The problem with this would be the on-site customer, but this would work just as well for those teams that don't have an on-site customer anyway because somebody decided it would be a great idea to do development in London when the users are in Switzerland.

      Regards,

      Lance