Re: text versions of story cards

  • Jeff Grigg
    Message 1 of 26 , Apr 3, 2009
      --- "Justin Daubenmire" <jdaubenm@...> wrote:
      > Card, Conversation, Confirmation.

      Let's go to the source on this one:
      http://www.xprogramming.com/xpmag/expCardConversationConfirmation.htm

      I think Ron describes it well, in that a User Story has three aspects, and one of them is the card. Note that Ron did NOT say that the CARD has three things on it. This suggests that the card, and everything on it, is just one of these three things.

      > Confirmation: ??? this is to be (I think) acceptance tests
      > from the customer only? Or do programmers ever jot down a
      > few unit test ideas here in the confirmation - back side
      > of the card?

      As described on Ron's page above, the confirmation is the customer's acceptance tests. (Not the developer's additional tests.)

      We are often a bit vague about the details of who writes which parts of the customer tests in what form at what time because there are a number of good ways to do this, and the best choice depends on your project, and your customer.

      On some projects, the customer writes the acceptance tests in a machine-readable form that is used directly by the testing framework -- such as Word documents, spreadsheets or Wiki pages. On other projects, the customer talks and waves their hands around, and the developers write the tests.

      This is what we want for customer acceptance tests:
      1. We want the customer to specify the tests. That is, the customer should describe, in some way, what visible system behavior they could see if the given story were implemented.
      2. We want these acceptance tests to be specified before the story is implemented. We'd like them to be specified before the story is estimated.
      3. The customer acceptance tests should be automated.
      4. The customer acceptance tests, and their results, should be readable by the customer. That is, the customer, upon reading them, should recognize how the tests correspond to what they requested, and see that they pass or fail.
      5. Ideally, the customer should be able to write and modify acceptance tests.

      Generally, the developers will help the customer in any way possible. The developers will do whatever steps the customer cannot or does not want to do.
    • Pieter Nagel
      Message 2 of 26 , Apr 3, 2009
        On Thu, 2009-04-02 at 19:11 -0400, Justin Daubenmire wrote:

        > However, I have a question on using story cards.
        >
        > I am a blind computer programmer and use screen reading software to
        > program with - www.freedomscientific.com - jaws for windows.

        Others answered WHAT is on the story cards. I want to take a step back
        and talk about WHY they are cards in the first place.

        Since you are blind, you will need to make a fundamental change to the
        idea of story cards in order to get the same value out of them. So I
        will tell you the big picture of why we use cards, and then you will
        have to think up something different that gives you and your team a
        similar benefit.

        We use story cards because we like to track our progress using
        lightweight tools such as magnetic boards that we stick cards to. Each
        card represents a customer Story that is being worked on in this
        iteration. We move the cards around whenever we start working on them,
        whenever we think we are finished and the customer can start acceptance
        testing, and so on.

        The value we get out of it is that we can all stand together in front of
        it and immediately get an overview of what the progress of this
        iteration is. Also, because it is simple, just pencil and paper, we can
        easily change our process to try more efficient ways of working, and we
        don't need to reconfigure or reprogram any project managment tools.
        Ideally, this board is somewhere where people often see it so that they
        are constantly kept aware of the priorities and progress every time they
        accidentally look at it, without needing to fire up a program first.

        The important point, for you, is this: the story card does NOT contain
        any detail about the requirements. The customer keeps those details
        elsewhere, in whichever form they like. The story card, instead, is just
        a token: a card labelled "Password update screen" is just a marker that
        we move across the board, and as it moves from left to right, everyone
        can see that the current iterations scheduled work on creating a screen
        for updating the password has now been started/finished/tested or
        whatever.

        You will need tokens that remind you of the user stories in a different
        fashion, most likely tactile. You could use a braille machine to write
        short one-sentence descriptions of tasks, stick that one cards,
        underneath the written description, and then you can get an overview of
        the project by feeling whether a card is now under the "completed"
        heading or not, and the others on your team can do the same by looking.

        However, with all of the feeling, the cards might fall off the board to
        often. Then you will have to change your project tracking board to
        something flat, like a large table, and you can stick the braille
        descriptions to something heavy (like paperweights) that you move over
        the table as the cards progress.

        But in your case, it might be that it is well and truly easier for you
        to track the progress using something that your computer can read aloud
        to you. You could stick the stories of the current iteration in a
        spreadsheet, for example. The essence of the "story card" idea is to
        keep it simple, though - maybe a text file will also work for you.

        Then you will have to make trade-off decisions. Is the value of a visual
        story board so high, for the rest of the team, that it is worth the
        effort to have the rest of the team sync your spreadsheet with their
        board, and vice versa? Or would it be more effect if your entire team
        standardised on just using the medium that you can also use? Or would my
        idea, of tokens on a table, that you can feel and they can see, work
        well? I don't know. I've never tried it.

        --
        Pieter Nagel
        www.nagel.co.za
        Message 3 of 26 , Apr 3, 2009
          I think Justin's situation really underscores the value of using alt
          attributes on images. :)

          Thanks,
          James

          Message 4 of 26 , Apr 3, 2009
            Hello, James. On Friday, April 3, 2009, at 1:52:45 PM, you wrote:

            > I think Justin's situation really underscores the value of using alt
            > attributes on images. :)

            It sure does. I've put that on my list for when I am allowed to
            update my site again ...

            www.xprogramming.com/blog
            Sometimes you just have to stop holding on with both hands, both
            feet, and your tail, to get someplace better. Of course you might
            plummet to the earth and die, but probably not:
            You were made for this.
          • Jeff Grigg
            Message 5 of 26 , Apr 3, 2009

              --- Pieter Nagel <pieter@...> wrote:
              > You will need tokens that remind you of the user stories
              > in a different fashion, most likely tactile. [...]
              >
              > However, with all of the feeling, the cards might fall
              > off the board to often. [...]

              Or, given a good standup meeting each morning, you might not need anything other than three-by-five cards with story names on them, pinned to a board: It's a good idea for the team to review the current stories at the standup meeting. If they got in the habit of consistently naming the stories they're talking about, rather than just pointing at them, you might be able to keep up. Assuming stories are in a priority order, at the end of one story you could ask your partner, "What's the next story to pick up?" and they'd easily be able to tell you, and to move the story on the board.

              Certainly reasonable accommodation is good. And required. ...for good reason.

              I recommend trying something agile, and introducing formality and structure as needed. Try to emphasize talking over tools. If that's not sufficient, look at tools.
            • Pieter Nagel
              Message 6 of 26 , Apr 3, 2009
                On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 19:58 +0000, Jeff Grigg wrote:

                > I recommend trying something agile, and introducing formality and
                > structure as needed. Try to emphasize talking over tools. If that's
                > not sufficient, look at tools.

                Agreed. Even if "tools" refers only to low-tech tools like whiteboards,
                talking is still better.

                I can't help being curious, just for curiosity's sake: what would an
                Information Radiator be like, if it were intended for a blind audience?
                I guess it would have to be auditory, in order to still "radiate" the
                information.

                My first gut guess was that low-tech auditory information radiators
                don't exist, and that's why I thumbsucked a proposal for a tactile
                equivalent.

                But I suspect I'm wrong. Hotel-style desk bells, for example, could be
                used to radiate information - whenever a Story is Done Done, the pair
                could tap their bell.

                It gets a bit fuzzy, though, when I think of the *value* of all these
                ringing bells and noises. I strongly suspect that the very idea sounds
                as silly to a blind user who has no prior experience with an information
                radiator, as the idea of a story-board sounds silly to someone who only
                has past experience with automated MS Project style tracking tools.

                What's really needed, in this discussion, is some input from blind XP
                practicioners who could share their own experience with modifying the
                Information Radiator idea for their own use.

                In the meantime, I suspect that other XP practices like Whole Team
                together in one room will become correspondingly more important to
                Justin, in the absence of a good alternative to a story board.

                --
                Pieter Nagel
                www.nagel.co.za
                Message 7 of 26 , Apr 3, 2009
                  --- Pieter Nagel <pieter@...> wrote:
                  > I can't help being curious, just for curiosity's sake:
                  > what would an Information Radiator be like, if it were
                  > intended for a blind audience? I guess it would have to
                  > be auditory, in order to still "radiate" the information.
                  >
                  > My first gut guess was that low-tech auditory information
                  > radiators don't exist, and that's why I thumbsucked a
                  > proposal for a tactile equivalent.
                  >
                  > [...]

                  Not a silly idea at all. In fact, I've heard of a number of teams setting up their build systems to play success and failure sounds automatically. In fact, there's a standard ant task to do this:

                  http://ant.apache.org/manual/OptionalTasks/sound.html

                  Auditory information radiators may be low-bandwidth (meaning that they may not convey a lot of information), but they are widely used.

                  And given text-to-speech, one can get high bandwidth information radiating pretty quickly. It might be distracting. But if the information is relevant to all the members of the team, then it's not likely to be distracting.
                • Jeff Grigg
                  Message 8 of 26 , Apr 3, 2009
                    > Auditory information radiators may be low-bandwidth (meaning
                    > that they may not convey a lot of information), but they are
                    > widely used.

                    Heck; we've been using green and red lights and lava lamps as project status indicators. Don't underestimate the value of good low-bandwidth information radiators!
                  • Justin Daubenmire
                    Message 9 of 26 , Apr 3, 2009
                      From: James Carr
                      I think Justin's situation really underscores the value of using alt
                      attributes on images. :)

                      Yes, hearing an alt tag read to me verbally such as "picture showing a waterfall" or "click here to log in" instead of "graphic" is extremely helpful.

                      If alt tags are missing, screen reading technology will simply speak "graphic".

                      This is one of my tasks at my job - testing our sites for 508 compliance as many of our projects are state level RFP projects and that is a requirement.

                      Regards,
                      Justin

                    • Justin Daubenmire
                      Message 10 of 26 , Apr 3, 2009
                        Hi Ron,
                        Message 11 of 26 , Apr 3, 2009
                          Hi Jeff,

                          Or, given a good standup meeting each morning, you might not need anything other than three-by-five cards with story names on them, pinned to a board: It's a good idea for the team to review the current stories at the standup meeting. If they got in the habit of consistently naming the stories they're talking about, rather than just pointing at them, you might be able to keep up. Assuming stories are in a priority order, at the end of one story you could ask your partner, "What's the next story to pick up?" and they'd easily be able to tell you, and to move the story on the board.

                          Excellent suggestion. This would work perfectly. I actually do not know braille, sometimes I wish I did, but in an era of speaking technology I have never learned it - talking computers, talking internet, talking watches, talking calculators, talking scales (of which I never get on!) etc.

                          Regards,
                          Justin

                        • Justin Daubenmire
                          Message 12 of 26 , Apr 3, 2009
                            Hi Pieter,
                            Message 13 of 26 , Apr 3, 2009
                              From: Jeff Grigg
                              Not a silly idea at all. In fact, I've heard of a number of teams setting up their build systems to play success and failure sounds automatically. In fact, there's a standard ant task to do this:

                              This is great! We are a Microsoft shop, I have setup cc.net for our CI and just the other day I was thinking... wouldn't it be hysterical to play a really funny failure sound for the team when someone breaks our build and play a sound for a successful build or fix build.

                              My team, for whatever reason, actually are into sound clips to raise laughter in the programming department so this could work!

                              We use nant so I'll take a look at the ant script and see if I can massage it over to the forbidden word "Microsoft"! *wink*.

                              Good point on text to speech too. I'll have to bounce that past my team to see what they think.

                              Thanks for the feedback!

                              Regards,
                              Justin

                            • George Dinwiddie
                              Message 14 of 26 , Apr 3, 2009
                                Justin Daubenmire wrote:
                                > Pardon my ignorance but what is an Information Radiator?

                                http://alistair.cockburn.us/Information+radiator

                                Also http://www.xprogramming.com/xpmag/BigVisibleCharts.htm

                              • Pieter Nagel
                                Message 15 of 26 , Apr 3, 2009
                                  On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 23:49 +0000, Jeff Grigg wrote:

                                  > And given text-to-speech, one can get high bandwidth information
                                  > radiating pretty quickly. It might be distracting. But if the
                                  > information is relevant to all the members of the team, then it's not
                                  > likely to be distracting.

                                  If Justin's team uses an electronic whiteboard, they could use
                                  text-to-speech set up a PC somewhere to just softly murmur the contents
                                  of the whiteboard every now and then: "New Login Screen: commenced....
                                  Initial Booking Screen: done..... " and so on.

                                  The volume and delay between repeats etc. would have to be tweaked to
                                  give the maximum benefit to Justin, without negatively disturbing the
                                  rest of his team. But since he most likely is more attuned to auditory
                                  information than them, there should be a very different threshold for
                                  them anyway.

                                  --
                                  Pieter Nagel
                                  www.nagel.co.za
                                  Message 16 of 26 , Apr 4, 2009
                                    On Fri, 2009-04-03 at 21:56 -0400, Justin Daubenmire wrote:

                                    > Pardon my ignorance but what is an Information Radiator?

                                    An Information Radiator is something that spreads information in a very
                                    cheap and efficent form.

                                    The metaphor is this: if you have a cold house with a normal radiator in
                                    one room, you don't need to walk over to the device, press buttons, and
                                    make it dispense a cupfull of heat to you. You get the heat just by
                                    being in the vicinity of the radiator.

                                    An information radiator, then, spreads information to everyone in the
                                    vicinity. They don't need to take any extra steps to receive it.

                                    The challenge for us, in this thread, is that the Information Radiators
                                    we know of depend on sight as the medium to spread their information.

                                    Story boards with story cards are one example. The whole team is
                                    constantly reminded of what their priorities and progess is, they don't
                                    need to take special steps to "go look" at a project tracker.

                                    You will need to take the concept and adapt it to a different medium;
                                    with the added complexity that the rest of the team may still need their
                                    visual radiators because their brains haven't adapted to process sound
                                    in the same way you do.

                                    --
                                    Pieter Nagel
                                    www.nagel.co.za
                                    Message 17 of 26 , Apr 5, 2009
                                      In the past I've used wav sounds with CC.net as well; the surprising thing
                                      is we had to find VERY short sound clips to make it useful... we used a
                                      2-second applause for successful builds, as even with that it was clapping
                                      practically all day long. When something broke, the CI servers would boo at
                                      us, or play some Simpson's quote. We had the idea of rotating randomly
                                      through several sound clips for failed builds or fixed builds but it became
                                      too confusing. We also experimented a bit with using text-to-speech to read
                                      the failure message for a broken build...

                                      On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 4:18 AM, Justin Daubenmire <jdaubenm@...>wrote:

> [...]

                                      D. André Dhondt
                                      mobile: 001 33 671 034 984

                                    • Jeff Grigg
                                      Message 18 of 26 , Apr 6, 2009
                                        --- D. André Dhondt <d.andre.dhondt@...> wrote:
                                        > [...] We also experimented a bit with using text-to-speech
                                        > to read the failure message for a broken build...

                                        "Wizard shot the food!"

                                        (Or, "John broke the build." ;-)

                                        Have it read the stack trace to you. That should discourage breaking the build!!! ;->
                                      • Dave Smith
                                        Message 19 of 26 , Apr 6, 2009
                                          On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 4:56 AM, Jeff Grigg <jeffgrigg@...> wrote:

                                          > (Or, "John broke the build." ;-)
                                          >
                                          > Have it read the stack trace to you. That should discourage breaking the
                                          > build!!! ;->

                                          Or plaster their pictures up on large monitors throughout the building.

                                          I know several teams and organizations that have headed down the
                                          "auto-shame" route.

                                          The challenge there is one of attribution. Unless you're doing a full build
                                          and test run
                                          per submit, assigning blame can be surprisingly tricky, requiring at least
                                          that the
                                          stack trace be examined and corresponding code checked for recent changes.

                                          A build tool that takes a quick approach to assigning blame risks a high
                                          rate of false
                                          positives, which will lead to the tool being ignored.

                                          The one company I know who has the working well has invested several
                                          developer
                                          years of effort in their diagnosis and attribution tool.

                                          Dave

                                        • William Wake
                                          Message 20 of 26 , Apr 7, 2009
                                            On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 7:11 PM, Justin Daubenmire <jdaubenm@...> wrote:

                                            > So, I was wondering if folks here could post me a few text representations
                                            > of story cards. I understand the theory of them, have read quite a bit on
                                            > them, but seeing real life use of them - I cannot seem to find text
                                            > versions.

                                            I know this thread has moved on somewhat, but I posted some examples at
                                            http://xp123.com/xplor/user-story-example/index.shtml

                                            They're basically the cards (in text form:) and a few notes on the
                                            conversation side.

                                            --Bill Wake

                                            --
                                            Bill Wake William.Wake@... www.xp123.com
                                          • Justin Daubenmire
                                            Message 21 of 26 , Apr 7, 2009
                                              From: William Wake
                                              They're basically the cards (in text form:) and a few notes on the
                                              conversation side.

                                              Thanks - I will certainly read it over.

                                              Regards,
                                              Justin

                                            • jmilunsky
                                              Message 22 of 26 , Apr 7, 2009
                                                There's no magic really. I wrote a blog on this very topic just last week .. http://agilesoftwaredevelopment.com/blog/jackmilunsky/user-stories-tell-it-it

                                                I would recommend Mike Cohn's book his first book on user stories. You can also check his site out www.mountaingoatsoftware.com. He has tons of info on user stories.

                                                Typically, a user story is written in the following format

                                                So here's a real example

                                                As a frequent flyer I'd like to redeem my airmiles for a flight prior to them expiring.

                                                Stories are meant to capture the persona of the end user, the story (i.e. what's required) and the benefit.

                                                Be careful to add too much detail as it's meant to spark dialog between customer and development team during the planning meeting. ie. THe conversation is more important.

                                                Details can be captured on the reverse side of the card in the form of acceptance test criteria.

                                                Hope this helps
                                                Jack
                                                www.agilebuddy.com
                                                blog.agilebuddy.com