Re: [XP] A different scheme for estimating

  • Steven Gordon
    Message 1 of 58 , Apr 2, 2009
      On Thu, Apr 2, 2009 at 11:02 AM, James Carr <james.r.carr@...> wrote:
      > Hi All,
      >
      > This idea isn't quite new, I'm sure some other shops out there have tried it
      > and I'd like to get some feedback if possible. I've been thinking a bit
      > about what bugs me when it comes to sizing. I don't know if it's sometimes
      > the expectation of sizings related to time, the question of accuracy,
      > etc.... but I for some reason dislike the notion of estimating points that
      > equate to ideal development days (or half days, or sessions). One story's
      > sizing of 1 may be done in an hour, another 1 point story might take a day.
      >
      > What if instead of sizing like that, what if we just sized only 0,1,2,3?
      > 0 for something so simple it's more of a chore than a story,

      Then it is not a story. No story takes no effort.

      > 1 for something
      > easy, 2 for something of medium difficulty, and 3 for something that might
      > be a bit hard to do. I think the benefit would be less complex estimation
      > and a much closer "feel" for the how hard each feature will be, or how much
      > bumpiness there will be in the project.
      >
      > Of course, I'd like to hear the experience of others in alternative
      > estimation models. :)

      I like 1, 2, 4, and "split" as estimation choices for story work in an
      iteration. For the product backlog: 1, 2, 4, 8, 16, ...

      Estimating whether or not something is twice as hard is just as
      effective, but takes less effort than estimating whether something is
      50% harder or the golden ratio harder in the case of Fibanocci sizes.

      Steve

      > Thanks,
      > James

    • Justin Daubenmire