Re: [XP] Integration with non-XP teams

  • davenicolette
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 2 4:43 AM
      Tim,

      You're right. The solution to the true problem would be to improve the level of communication and collaboration in the organization.

      It isn't always possible to achieve that in the short term. In those cases, we have to do the best thing that is feasible to do.

      Cheers,
      Dave

      --- In extremeprogramming@yahoogroups.com, Tim Ottinger <linux_tim@...> wrote:

      > > From: davenicolette <dnicolet@...>
      > >
      > > We can't prevent code from going stale while it waits for other groups to finish
      > > their parts of the solution. By keeping our own code as clean as possible, we
      > > minimize the impact of differences in the interfaces that come up when other
      > > groups finalize their designs. If they won't provide interim versions for us to
      > > test against, then we've got no way to know whether our code has gone stale, or
      > > how badly. There's no magic bullet.
      >
      > Perception altering:
      >
      > The problem isn't that your code went stale waiting for them. Being done first
      > is the culprit? I think not.
      >
      > The problem, rather, is that they didn't provide you feedback as they made
      > changes to their code (finalized their designs). Had they kept you in the
      > loop, there wouldn't be a disconnect.
      >
      > Some would argue that their final design differed from the spec, and that was
      > the problem. I don't buy that, because as-built is always a little different
      > from as-designed due to corrective steering.
      >
      > You are not at fault if they deliver something different than they expected
      > to. The answer, most likely, lies in them keeping you aligned as they make
      > improvements. Maybe by testing early with you.
      >
      > That's just good interface management, not an agile issue per se. One side
      > is always done first unless they get together and drive the two home together.
      >
      > tim

    • Olof Bjarnason
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 2 4:47 AM
        2009/4/2 davenicolette <dnicolet@...>:
        > Tim,
        >
        > You're right. The solution to the true problem would be to improve the level
        > of communication and collaboration in the organization.
        >
        > It isn't always possible to achieve that in the short term. In those cases,
        > we have to do the best thing that is feasible to do.

        I'm thinking; wouldn't modern social communication tool like twitter
        be one way of keeping in synch?

        Say, each team has twitter user, and all team members can post on that.

        Then, everyone that is interested in what happens on that team can
        subscribe to that twitter user.

        --
        Min blogg:
        http://olofb.wordpress.com
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 2 6:30 AM
          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 2 6:34 AM
            Olof Bjarnason says:
            > I'm thinking; wouldn't modern social communication tool like twitter
            > be one way of keeping in synch?
            >
            > Say, each team has twitter user, and all team members can post on that.
            >
            > Then, everyone that is interested in what happens on that team can
            > subscribe to that twitter user.

            A lot of places install jabber servers. It can help, if people actually watch it.
            Some places it's poorly attended and poorly monitored, and helps not at all.
            I find that wikis are pretty easy to ignore, even easier than emails.

            A local skype appeals to me. Messages are persistant enough, immediate enough.

            Tim Ottinger
            http://agileinaflash.blogspot.com/
            http://agileotter.blogspot.com/
          • Olof Bjarnason
            Message 5 of 14 , Apr 2 7:01 AM
              2009/4/2 Tim Ottinger <linux_tim@...>:

              > Olof Bjarnason says:
              >> I'm thinking; wouldn't modern social communication tool like twitter
              >> be one way of keeping in synch?
              >>
              >> Say, each team has twitter user, and all team members can post on that.
              >>
              >> Then, everyone that is interested in what happens on that team can
              >> subscribe to that twitter user.
              >
              > A lot of places install jabber servers. It can help, if people actually
              > watch it.
              > Some places it's poorly attended and poorly monitored, and helps not at all.
              > I find that wikis are pretty easy to ignore, even easier than emails.
              >
              > A local skype appeals to me. Messages are persistant enough, immediate
              > enough.

              A group chat channel in skype is another idea, yes.

              Have you tried twitter/are you using twitter..? I think it is quite
              good for "notifications". A lot better than mails/blogs/wikis. How
              well a Skype group channel works out, I don't know. I guess a browser
              could be embedded with "home page" = your twitter feed, inside the
              IDE, to facilitate frequent viewing. Or something like that.

              [ Note: I cannot technically see why twitter is so good for
              notifications - IME it just is that way .. ]