commit comments -> Diff reading

  • Tim Ottinger
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2009
      I wonder if our diffs would make for good refridgerator postings. I had a day yesterday when I would love to put my diff up on a fridge to show off to my "family" because the renamings and code deletions were article-worthy. Sadly, I can't pass out the company's code for the normal reasons. But maybe integration comments and commit comments should have a 'vote up' and 'vote down' poll attached like a social networking feature.

      I feel largely about integration comments for hosted corporate teams largely as I do for comments in code. Rules 1 and 2 at http://agileotter.blogspot.com/2009/03/displaced-comments.html cover that. They should give metadata that is not already present in the code or source code manager, and be free from fluff. If you do branched development, and use a good version control tool, then the tool knows that the code for release X is release x-1 + features A, B, and C and bug fixes 2003, 2112, and 2554. If your tool isn't as good or you don't branch for features, then you have to enter more data.

      I'm increasingly interested in DVCS because of the ability to have a more detailed development history.

      For distributed open source teams, I don't know enough to have strong opinions. I know that the commit comments are more important as communication among the members and the volunteer code managers. I don't have enough experience to contradict anything they're doing.

      Tim Ottinger
      http://agileinaflash.blogspot.com/
      http://agileotter.blogspot.com/
    • Phlip