Re: [XP] Who estimate stories?

  • Adam Sroka
    Message 1 of 19 , Mar 27, 2009
      On Fri, Mar 27, 2009 at 3:19 PM, Mayank Gupta
      <mayank.gupta1@...> wrote:
      > Few very important points are raised in this thread.

      You must be new ;-) People ask questions and we try to answer them. It
      seems likely that the questions are important to the ones asking them.
      Very rarely does someone ask a question that is entirely novel.

      > 1 - Who estimates the stories?
      >
      > My thoughts: The whole team. Let us refrain from dividing the team in
      > developers, testers usability engineers and so on... When It comes to
      > estimation the whole team has to be present and whoever is aware of how
      > this particular story can be developed should participate in the
      > planning game and should show his/her card. Interesting ideas come from
      > unexpected corners. Moreover estimating the story in essense is
      > difficult threfore the teams should decide about their done criteria ...
      > the criteria which would decide whether the story is really done and
      > depending on that the tasks should be identified and each task should be
      > estimated.

      Yes. Except that it is sometimes useful to make a distinction between
      technical and business folks. The Agile community has removed much of
      the emphasis on this distinction in recent years. However, the
      original description of the Planning Game includes the distinction and
      it is sometimes unavoidable.

      > 2 - A single person is assigned a particular task in the system, but
      >
      > this task should be completed by a pair, so why not the pair both sign
      > up to the task?
      >
      > My thoughts: It does not matter. Following Agile methods takes it out of
      > the mind of a real team member. In my humble opinion, following agile is
      > like playing a football match. Either the whole team wins or the whole
      > team looses.

      It doesn't matter, but the person who asked the question wasn't sure
      if it did. That's why he asked ;-)