BeyondAgile: "Agile Clinic/Swap Meet" on 26 March 2009

  • mjtardiff
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 24, 2009
      It's BeyondAgile: people making software that works

      The hopefully-not-anticlimatic second event of the still-pretty-new
      BeyondAgile is happening on Thursday:

      "Agile Challenges Clinic/Swap Meet"
      Thursday, 26 March 2009
      6:30 to 8:30 p.m.
      Locations on the Eastside and Seattle!
      Read on for agenda and location information, or visit our Google Group
      at
      http://groups.google.com/group/beyondagile
      <http://groups.google.com/group/beyondagile>

      The Blurb
      At the first event, everyone (over forty people) created a backlog
      <http://groups.google.com/group/beyondagile/web/backlog?hl=en> of
      ideas, suggestions, and work items. Among them were two suggestions that
      gave rise to this event's focus: "a bring-a-problem" session
      where everyone helps everyone with their challenges. We've extended
      the idea of a clinic, where you bring a problem to an expert and get
      help, to a swap meet (or potluck), were everyone brings something and
      gets something. So come if you think you're brimming over with
      answers and expertise, and come if you're wanting other perspectives
      or advice on how to tangle with the problems that bedevil your days.

      We'll also form a program team, a group that'll work proactively
      to plan interesting and exciting events in sufficient time for the
      blurb-writer–that's me–to write and distribute the blurb a
      few weeks before the event. If you're wondering who'd be good at
      doing that, go look in a mirror—it's you we need!

      Second Event Agenda
      o Welcome and Announcements (10 min.)
      o Formation of Program Team (10 min.)
      o "Agile Clinic/Swap Meet (85 min.)
      o Giveaway Drawing (5 min.)
      o Meeting Retrospective (10 min.)
      o Socializing and Breakout/Breakup/Beer

      Event Locations
      Eastside:
      SolutionsIQ
      First Floor Training Center
      10785 Willows Road NE, Suite 250
      Redmond WA
      directions and picture of building at
      http://www.solutionsiq.com/about-us/contact-us.php
      <http://www.solutionsiq.com/about-us/contact-us.php>
      Look for the tent signs and the blue BeyondAgile logo

      Seattle:
      Amdocs Digital Commerce Division (formerly QPass)
      Greece Room
      2211 Elliott Ave Suite 400
      Seattle WA

      Questions? Contact us at beyondagile@...
      JKi_ZOu-esumVy-NxGvMTBKdpSl-8oICcalTslhJjoXRBGjkv47bTNyQzOaHXYyWGXD-mF2_\
      tEWaMaF7> , or visit our Google Group, or contribute to the nascent Wiki
      at beyondagile.org <http://beyondagile.org/> .

      Why come?
      Here's your chance to be in on the beginning of an exciting new
      collaboration of the Puget-Sound area (and beyond!) agile-interested.
      And if that's not enough, we'll hold a drawing to win exciting and
      valuable prizes!

      What's BeyondAgile?
      It's the combination and follow-on to a number of the agile-oriented
      user and interest groups that have operated in the Puget Sound area.
      Representatives of the Seattle XP User Group and Seattle Scrum came
      together in December to try and combine the efforts of all of us who
      care about and use agile methods.

      Why does BeyondAgile exist?
      o Find best practices among all agile processes
      o Build a bigger agile community
      o Take advantage of overlaps between existing groups
      o Expand beyond meetings and provide a place to collaborate
      o Align software development and business
      o Explore cutting-edge ideas and techniques

      What is BeyondAgile like?
      That, in large part, is up to you. A primary reason for consolidating
      our efforts is to broaden our base of support, capability, and
      leadership. We envision a more active, multi-faceted organization that
      does more than just host talking heads. We'll gather at least once a
      month on the 4th Thursday of the month, and probably more often, once
      you figure out what other events you'd like.

      Where do BeyondAgile events happen?
      Our goal is to have many answers to this. As a result, we've worked
      to remove the impediment offered by bridges and commuting: for our
      monthly meetings, we hold our events in both Eastside and Seattle
      locations, through the semi-magic of videocasting. We're
      experimenting: we've thought of trying to alternate the
      "real" physical meeting between sides of the lake. At this
      point, we're only at the stage of using a semi-okayish video link
      between the two locations, and try *very* hard to make the meeting
      balanced between locations. That's harder than it seems; come and
      help us work it out! We're still dreaming of enabling people
      anywhere to attend through streaming video, even after the meeting's
      already happened, but we need more knowledge, resources, and volunteers
      before that's going to happen.

      I have question for you.
      Great! Visit the Google Group (BeyondAgile
      <http://groups.google.com/group/beyondagile/> ) or send a message to