Re: [XP] Cockburn's cooperative game: revisiting the second goal

  • Pieter Nagel
    Message 1 of 12 , Mar 16 10:09 AM
      On Mon, 2009-03-16 at 14:05 +0100, D. André Dhondt wrote:

      > That is, I always spend at least 10% of each story on refactoring,
      > maybe up to 60%, but if the smell I see is going to take more time
      > than that, I'll hit it another way, another day.

      It's the "always deliver value" bit.

      Or to put it the other way: isn't a "system rewrite" the Mother Of All
      100% Refactorings Without Every Delivering Value for Quite Some Time?

      And we all know how that goes.

      > Since I'm a "private chef", I know I'll be making this dish again,
      > someday soon.

      Yesterday's weather - it's amazing how soon after you refactor, you reap
      the unanticipated benefits.

      This week: "Ok guys, I consolidated the XYZ code. As a side effect of
      that the ABC feature we've always been talking about ought to be easier
      to implement, when we get a Story for that - but that wasn't the
      motivation for the refactoring".

      Next week: "It turns out last week's refactoring made this Story easier.
      We still haven't got a need for ABC, but DEF turned out to need it too."

      --
      Pieter Nagel
      www.nagel.co.za